Great White from 80s & Zeppelin Covers

Zeppe Fan

Blech. If you are old enough to have been around when these two bands were coming up the only thing you remember is that they were despised as horrid pretenders. When influences are so great that you don't have your own identity it's not a good thing.

When you're as great as Zeppelin was and being a seminal and highly unique band, you're certainly very influential as well. What tends to happen is the artists that were influenced by you, take the obvious elements from your music and not the intricasies and subtleties. So in conclusion these bands are not unique and what happens is you wind up influencing a lot of bad music, which was no fault of your own.

Blech. If you are old enough to have been around when these two bands were coming up the only thing you remember is that they were despised as horrid pretenders. When influences are so great that you don't have your own identity it's not a good thing.

I remember Kingdom Come and am even guilty of buying one of their cassettes at the time. They were also one of many bands that were the target of the Gary Moore/Ozzy single Led Clones but I can't say I recall ever hearing about Great White being accused of being a Zeppelin soundalike band. Yes, they did their fair share of covers but they didn't even do the album of Zep covers until well after their star had risen.

I remember Kingdom Come and am even guilty of buying one of their cassettes at the time. They were also one of many bands that were the target of the Gary Moore/Ozzy single Led Clones but I can't say I recall ever hearing about Great White being accused of being a Zeppelin soundalike band. Yes, they did their fair share of covers but they didn't even do the album of Zep covers until well after their star had risen.

I only remember that one song they had a video for and the first time I heard it, I was mortified :lol:

Have no idea what the rest of the album sounds like. I'm assuming similar to their single?

Kingdom Come was a joke !! Great White was and still is a great band !! Saw them last year. Talked to them many time's after their shows here. Their guitar player Mark Kendell was more of a Johnny Winter guy than Page from what he told me. They have 6 or 7 very good cd's and when I listen to them I don't hear a Zeppelin copy band !! Jack's voice can sound close to Plant's though if he want's it to. The stuff they did in the late 90's is their best work, It's recorded much better than their early stuff.

I only remember that one song they had a video for and the first time I heard it, I was mortified :lol:

Have no idea what the rest of the album sounds like. I'm assuming similar to their single?

"Get It On" was the only song I heard off that album. It was quite bad and I'm sure the rest of the album was even more horrendous.

"Get It On" was the only song I heard off that album. It was quite bad and I'm sure the rest of the album was even more horrendous.

I honestly never thought the song was that bad despite the similarity it quite obviously bore to Zeppelin. As for the rest of the record, I would recommend actually giving it a listen before automatically assuming it's "horrendous". There was another band back in the day called Fastway that also owed a great deal to Led Zeppelin but seemed to channel their influence in a much more succinct way. I guess there's a fine line between an homage and a blatant rip-off which is all very humorous when discussing a band who've been accused (rightfully or otherwise) of many of the very same things.

I honestly never thought the song was that bad despite the similarity it quite obviously bore to Zeppelin. As for the rest of the record, I would recommend actually giving it a listen before automatically assuming it's "horrendous". There was another band back in the day called Fastway that also owed a great deal to Led Zeppelin but seemed to channel their influence in a much more succinct way. I guess there's a fine line between an homage and a blatant rip-off which is all very humorous when discussing a band who've been accused (rightfully or otherwise) of many of the very same things.

i liked both. fastway had an excellent song "easy living" that still gets a spin on my system. kindom come screwed up by jokingly saying to a reporter that they'd "never heard of led zeppelin"....

i liked both. fastway had an excellent song "easy living" that still gets a spin on my system. kindom come screwed up by jokingly saying to a reporter that they'd "never heard of led zeppelin"....

yep, i had the cassette of Fastway back in the day. "easy livin'" was one of my fav from the cassette.

edit: still have the cassette ;)

It always comes to mind during that same period with David Coverdale being labeled David "Cover Version" in his similarities to Robert Plant. He wasn't as blatant as other aspects of Whitesnake's music. What got me was seeing their "In The Heat Of The Night" video, when midway their guitarist breaks out the bow a la you know who. I saw in an interview with Jimmy around this time and he saw the video. He said he rolled off of his coughh in laughter and disbelief.

Archived