JPJ - Minibus Pimps

sam_webmaster

The Cloud to Ground LP includes a CD (at least from certain outlets).

Bought it via iTunes because I didn't want to wait...very passive listening, but it went by very quickly -- I didn't dislike it, for sure. Will have to listen more intently in order to give a more in-depth review.

I downloaded it also. I like their idea of offering it on vinyl with this CD as well. I may have gone this route if I was aware of that even though I do not own a record player at this time.

Anyway, I like this kind of spacey music. My only regret is that there isn't more. I think there's about 30 minutes worth of music, I guess a little shy of what the old LPs used to be at around 36 or 38 minutes I think.

I had read one review beforehand so I was prepared it is dark, and moody

I found it easy to imagine any of the songs being an extended intro into In The Evening, part of a No Quarter improv, or even part of a Dazed and Confused extended improv .

it reminded me a little of something the Grateful Dead might have done with synths as part of their "space" jams in the 80s but a little darker, I am not a Grateful Dead expert but I like what I've heard.

It's great to hear JPJ continuing to create, ...ever onwards

Haven't done as "active" a listen as I intended, but I've played the album a few more times since my first listen, and, again, I haven't heard anything that's struck me as "bad" or that I disliked. It's certainly much more ambient than anything else JPJ has ever done, so if you aren't interested in that sort of avant-garde exploration, Minibus Pimps will not be for you.

It's weird, because I had a -- not a negative reaction, but...just no reaction to the audience recording (of the London show) when it came out last year. Maybe I prefer this presentation because of the impeccable sound quality?

I've only listened to the iTunes samples, and I don't think I will care for the last track. Waiting for payday to decide if it's something I want/will listen to. Lucifer Rising kind of went in one ear and out the other....this might be something similar, to me at least.

In my more whimsical moments I wonder if JPJ is drawn to musical projects with outrageous or humorous names. First he produced for the Butthole Surfers, then he formed Them Crooked Vultures and now he's going to be a Minibus Pimp.

That is a good point. He has an interesting sense of humor from what i've seen so i would not put it past him to look for, or create, a ridiculous name. I mean, you could name a band ShitFart but if it has JPJ, it automatically becomes legitimized haha

Very unlistenable!

Lol I'm sorry it's just a bunch of noise. Not my nor 99.9% of the rest of the worlds

Cup of tea.

Fair enough. :P

I feel as though this album -- like other avant-garde explorations in the past -- will seem more prescient in the future.

Archived