Jimmy page's Acoustic strings

hi guys, just joined the forums here and this may have been asked already but i didnt see it so: I know that Jimmy page uses his .08 or .09's on electric but what guage are his acoustic strings? i know theyre ernie ball earthwoods, but there are just as many variations on those as there are on the electric string guages... my friends and i are going to do stairway at our schools version of a talent show, but its more like the coffee shop things of years past.. neways, im doing the acoustic part and i want to sound as close to it as possible... Thanks!!

(also if anybody knows of any good tabs for the Earl's Court live version of Bron-yr-aur-Stomp thatd be great too!)

thanks lots bro! been wondering about those strings for a long time haha

i went to the site and searched again but i couldnt find anything on that version of the song at earls court, only found the regular studio recording.. =/ if anyone can help (or if i somehow missed it and you could send me a link) thad be VERY much appreciated!

I don't think the type of strings you use are going to make a difference in how well you play the song. Plus I don't think Earthwoods were manufactured until 1972.

i know they wont make a difference in how 'well' i play it i just want it to sound as close as possible.. and in that case what do you think hed've used before that?

Strings, especially gauges, are a matter of preference. Your guitar and your touch determine your sound far more. Trying to replicate Jimmy's acoustic sound might be a bit of a leap. He used different guitars, different mics, different compression. You've got the mix at the soundboard. Particularly if you're talking live sound. My humble recommendation is to try different types and gauges, mixes (bronze, phosphor, etc), and follow your ears. I spent years trying to perfect the Page live electric tone. Spent thousands on Custom Historic 59 Les Pauls, vintage Marshall Plexis and Super Leads, KT-88 tubes, Tonebenders, etc. Best Page sound I ever got was through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Go figure! :lol:

Again, follow your ears! :beer:

Strings, especially gauges, are a matter of preference. Your guitar and your touch determine your sound far more. Trying to replicate Jimmy's acoustic sound might be a bit of a leap. He used different guitars, different mics, different compression. You've got the mix at the soundboard. Particularly if you're talking live sound. My humble recommendation is to try different types and gauges, mixes (bronze, phosphor, etc), and follow your ears. I spent years trying to perfect the Page live electric tone. Spent thousands on Custom Historic 59 Les Pauls, vintage Marshall Plexis and Super Leads, KT-88 tubes, Tonebenders, etc. Best Page sound I ever got was through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Go figure! :lol:

Again, follow your ears! :beer:

i see.. i definitely see what you're saying and agree with it.. guess ill just have to mess around with a few different sets of strings then! are there any that you'd recommend i try from personal experience? or just test all of them out? i want to try to figure out how he gets that really flat picky sound in the strumming part of stairway where you can hear as much or more of the pick hitting the strings as you hear of the noise the strings make, it almost sounds to me like a palm mute, but its different.. but then i've only been playing for a few months so i wouldnt know much on that front.. any help there would be appreciated much as well =)

i see.. i definitely see what you're saying and agree with it.. guess ill just have to mess around with a few different sets of strings then! are there any that you'd recommend i try from personal experience? or just test all of them out? i want to try to figure out how he gets that really flat picky sound in the strumming part of stairway where you can hear as much or more of the pick hitting the strings as you hear of the noise the strings make, it almost sounds to me like a palm mute, but its different.. but then i've only been playing for a few months so i wouldnt know much on that front.. any help there would be appreciated much as well =)

Well first of all, the strummed section is on a 12-string. The "picky" sound is all in the production. Compressors and such.

Personally I like Martin Marquis strings for acoustic. I swear by Ernie Ball Slinkys for electric.

Those are tried and trusted. You really can't go wrong.

If your fingers are new to guitar, I'd go with light gauge. Some guys go heavy (Zakk Wylde goes heavy 10-46) while some guys go light (Jimmy Page uses 9-42 Super Slinkys). That's electric of course.

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.martinstrings.com/strings/choosing.html

Well first of all, the strummed section is on a 12-string. The "picky" sound is all in the production. Compressors and such.

Personally I like Martin Marquis strings for acoustic. I swear by Ernie Ball Slinkys for electric.

Those are tried and trusted. You really can't go wrong.

If your fingers are new to guitar, I'd go with light gauge. Some guys go heavy (Zakk Wylde goes heavy 10-46) while some guys go light (Jimmy Page uses 9-42 Super Slinkys). That's electric of course.

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.martinstrings.com/strings/choosing.html

ahh i see i figured it would be something like that but i know absolutely nothing about recording stuff so wanted to make sure first haha.

yea on acoustic im using the elixir lights (polyweb i think) which are 12-53 but i bought some of the ernie ball acoustics to try them out . theyre 11-52 i think. on electric i have ernie ball extra slinkys which are 8-38 haha those were my first strings so i put them on and was like... hey what the hell is this shit.. but ive got some 9's that im trying next.

ive not tried martin strings at all but ill give them a shot. would you go for the 80 20 or 92 8 marquis?

Thanks again m8

ive not tried martin strings at all but ill give them a shot. would you go for the 80 20 or 92 8 marquis?

Again it's personal preference. What works best with your touch and your guitar. Also, how often you change strings. Do you want strings that will have long life or strings that will have extra punch but shorter life?

As far as electric goes, pink pack Slinkys 9-42. All I use. 30 years and counting. Nothing else feels right to me.

12s on an acoustic, particularly for a beginner, would be seen in my circle to be heavy gauge and i dont know anyone who plays them. 10s are kinder to the less strong fingers (like mine). ernie ball earthwoods, martin or dean markley phos bronze are popular.

for electrics, i'm with ev. ernie ball slinkys 9-42 as first choice

As far as electric goes, pink pack Slinkys 9-42. All I use. 30 years and counting. Nothing else feels right to me.

Do you use slinky's on all types of electric guitars? I have a strat and was thinking about getting slinky's last time I went to buy strings, but at the store they recommended I buy Super Bullets 9-42 for a strat, which I do like, but just wondering. Also how are the life on them, as I am not one for changing my strings a lot.

Do you use slinky's on all types of electric guitars? I have a strat and was thinking about getting slinky's last time I went to buy strings, but at the store they recommended I buy Super Bullets 9-42 for a strat, which I do like, but just wondering. Also how are the life on them, as I am not one for changing my strings a lot.

Not meaning to showboat but,

Every one Ernie Super Slinkys (well except the Takmine classical):

Children2.jpg

Ernie makes strings. Leo makes guitars. Mostly. I'll put Ernie's strings on Leo's guitars. And yes, I've owned an Ernie Ball Steve Lukather model. Nice guitar. End of day, whatever guitar I'm strapping on, Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. It's not even open for discussion with me. Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. Anything else is, "So what else ya got?"

Not meaning to showboat but,

Every one Ernie Super Slinkys (well except the Takmine classical):

Children2.jpg

Ernie makes strings. Leo makes guitars. Mostly. I'll put Ernie's strings on Leo's guitars. And yes, I've owned an Ernie Ball Steve Lukather model. Nice guitar. End of day, whatever guitar I'm strapping on, Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. It's not even open for discussion with me. Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. Anything else is, "So what else ya got?"

haha nice collection there ev, very nice. Which one, if any, is your favorite?

Im thinking about buying a lp body and neck and just building one myself. I have some urge for renovating stuff.. dont know why. But i want to build one to look a bit like the les paul black beauties. With all the gold hardware and what not. I'm new so i dont want to be spending tons of money on this, so ill be going epiphone, but im not sure where id find a decent matching body and neck; i looked on ebay but the only ones that were really there weren't lp jr's and i dont want only 1 pickup so yea.

Also i was looking around for the hardware and what not, tuners, pickups and such, and from store sites i couldnt find nething decent (looking for humbuckers) for less than $135 for a set, but on ebay i looked and there are tons for as low as 9.99 on up, but ive no idea if they would be a safe bet..

any help from ne1 would be much appreciated (on the body/neck or hardware or both or nething =] ) Thanks!

haha nice collection there ev, very nice. Which one, if any, is your favorite?

Im thinking about buying a lp body and neck and just building one myself. I have some urge for renovating stuff.. dont know why. But i want to build one to look a bit like the les paul black beauties. With all the gold hardware and what not. I'm new so i dont want to be spending tons of money on this, so ill be going epiphone, but im not sure where id find a decent matching body and neck; i looked on ebay but the only ones that were really there weren't lp jr's and i dont want only 1 pickup so yea.

Also i was looking around for the hardware and what not, tuners, pickups and such, and from store sites i couldnt find nething decent (looking for humbuckers) for less than $135 for a set, but on ebay i looked and there are tons for as low as 9.99 on up, but ive no idea if they would be a safe bet..

any help from ne1 would be much appreciated (on the body/neck or hardware or both or nething =] ) Thanks!

Well, I'm not sure where you're going with the neck/body thing. Les Pauls have glued in necks, and that takes some skills. The LP Jrs and Melody Makers are planks, as opposed to a Les Paul's carved top. I wouldn't go anywhere near Epiphone's bolt-on guitars like the LP Special. They're junk. Anyway, if you're building from a body and a neck up, I'd seriously consider and aftermarket supplier and avoid Gibson or Epiphone as you'd essentially be buying replacement parts, and they charge for the name.

Either way, the first step is deciding on set neck or bolt on neck.

Here's a great place to get some ideas!

http://www.stewmac.com/

Nice Bill! :thumbsup:

Thanks lots guys Really good save there ev thanks much! agreed it wouldnt be wise to mess with gibson/epi glue on stuff.. thanks for that I took a look at that site you showed me and all i could find under their bodies/necks were for fender strats/tele's or just some blank wood, no LP style stuff there. might i have just been looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks Bill! Thanks pretty much exactly what i want haha cept maybe the volume/tone knobs i might make gold as well. Im looking at some reviews for that atm, maybe itl be a match for me! =)

Hey what would you guys think about if i got an epi LP 100 ebony then just put on gold hardware? i was originally going to get a 100 but i dont like the stock ebony, its kinda bleh to me, but that was a thought i just had, could get gold humbucker covers, grover tuners, knobs, brigde and such, any idea how much that stuff might cost? the hardware that is

heres a link to it http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=518661

Thanks!

With the Epi LP 100, you're looking at a flat-topped body, not 2-piece arched. Not a Les Paul IMO. Again a single slab of mahogany without a maple top.

I posted the Stew Mac link just so you could get some building ideas.

To browse parts:

http://allparts.com/

Again, body styles will be Fender, Jackson, PRS styles. Finding a bolt-on type Les Paul body and neck set could be a tough one.

There is the Saga kit, but it's complete, and you don't get hardware options;

http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/item--Saga-G...EStyle--PROD341

If you have your heart set on the Gibson/Epiphone family, I'd really recommend saving up and stepping up to the Epi Les Paul Standard. It's a whole different class of guitar than their lower end stuff. But you're looking around $400. It comes in black, but not with the gold.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...-Top?sku=517413

I would suggest that instead of worrying so much about the cosmetics or brands that you go and play as many instruments as you can lay your hands on. Each one is different you know, playability should be your prime concern, not how it looks. jmo

I would suggest that instead of worrying so much about the cosmetics or brands that you go and play as many instruments as you can lay your hands on. Each one is different you know, playability should be your prime concern, not how it looks. jmo

"Words of wisdom Lloyd! Words of wisdom!"

the_shining_movie_image_jack_nicholson.jpg

ah i see well in that case i might just go with that off brand one from rondo, seemed to be pretty good idea, though i would like to build one

ev have you played any of those standard ones? and do you know if theres ne way that saga would sell just the body and neck?

yea ur right bill cosmetics shouldnt be primary concern, and i dont mean for it to be like thats all im worried about, i just want that if im going to spend a good chunk of change (only 16 here, first job) that itl be something that i can really admire, and ive just fallen in love with the black beauty design so yea..

but if i could get the body and neck from that saga kit id be set, just buy the other hardware and throw on some strings, im going to get a marshall mg30fx this summer too i believe, right now all ive got is an old peavey from the 80s haha doesnt sound the best but its not that bad, gets some pretty good clean sounds.

yea ur right bill cosmetics shouldnt be primary concern, and i dont mean for it to be like thats all im worried about, i just want that if im going to spend a good chunk of change (only 16 here, first job) that itl be something that i can really admire, and ive just fallen in love with the black beauty design so yea..

Believe me I understand, but thought it needed to be said.

im going to get a marshall mg30fx this summer too i believe, right now all ive got is an old peavey from the 80s haha doesnt sound the best but its not that bad, gets some pretty good clean sounds.

If that Peavey is a tube amp you might be heading in the wrong direction. Most people seem to like tube amps better than solid state ones. Maybe the Peavey just needs some new tubes, they need to be replaced from time to time.

Yes Zoso1968, I have an Epi LP Standard. I stands up to some Gibson Standards I've owned actually.

As for Saga, I can only recommend contacting the manufacturer. As far as I know it's sold as a kit only. One more thing regarding the kit, have you had paint spraybooth experience? That Saga has a nice flamed maple top. It would be a shame to just spray it black.

The other thing about building your own is that you don't know what you'll end up with. It might seem the economical route to get the appearance you're after, but without solid guitar building experience it would be the safer route to buy off the rack one that feels good to you.

im not sure if it is, i think its tube, but ill have to check, i dont know much about it other than the controls in the front haha umm you can see the speaker in the back, dunno if that means nething. I dont know much of anything about amps. If so, where and which tubes should i get? my friend would know how to install them so he might know that too ill ask.

Thats pretty impressive ev., that it stands up to gibsons. perhaps that might be the way to go or the rondo one. As for the spraybooth no ive not had any experience with it.. actually ive never even heard of it haha.

As for the 'dont know what you'll get' how would you recommend i get experience with such things? just taking stuff apart? When i first cleaned my dads old guitar, a 67 i think harmony rocket, i took almost all of it off at one point or another, but he saw me unscrewing the pickup and got kinda pissed so i couldnt finish (woops :rolleyes: ).

One other thing i thought of was going around birmingham (where i work, alabama not england) and looking in old pawn shops, where apparently there are some pretty decent guitars for like $20 and up that i might just get one of those for a fixer up and buy that rondo one... btw ev did that one look like it would be good? i mean apart from the looks.

Thanks again you guys have been really helpful and curved me from some bad decisions

Archived