Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
gibsonfan159

Southampton 73- Why it's the best bootleg

As the years go by, Copenhagen 7.24 really is my favorite.  Magic nite for Jimmy, he never played that well ever again in his life.  Crazy right?

Strider   
13 hours ago, bluecongo said:

As the years go by, Copenhagen 7.24 really is my favorite.  Magic nite for Jimmy, he never played that well ever again in his life.  Crazy right?

You'd be surprised how good he could be on the Firm tours...and on the 1998 P & P tour.

I think a lot of people have confused the case I made for "best" (as in the best live representation of the band including audio quality) with personal favorites. This is by no means one of my personal favorites. I'm merely noting the enjoyment of listening to the biggest band in the world playing in an intimate setting with unparralled sound quality. I think that alone puts this in the top five of their must listen boots. Yes, subjectively, I could sit back and rip this show to shreds. But I tried to make the case objectively.

IpMan   
23 hours ago, bluecongo said:

he never played that well ever again in his life.  Crazy right?

I could not agree with that statement less if I actively tried. As Strider pointed out he played very well, just as good in The Firm and from 96' - 2000'.

That being said the 24-7-79' gig is one of the best Zeppelin gig's hands down, everyone is smokin' on this night.

I saw Jimmy several times live, he's been fantastic.  88 & 98 especially. I understand your disagreements.  

Im a serious guitar player, I listen really closely, and have dissected Jimmys work.

but I don't know if he was ever as fluid like he was that night in Copenhagen.   

IpMan   
4 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I saw Jimmy several times live, he's been fantastic.  88 & 98 especially. I understand your disagreements.  

Im a serious guitar player, I listen really closely, and have dissected Jimmys work.

but I don't know if he was ever as fluid like he was that night in Copenhagen.   

When I saw Page with the Firm in Phoenix in 85' he was brilliant. When I saw him in 95' he was very good (not as good as 85' and not as good as Copenhagen but on par with 75'). Then, in 98' I would place his playing, IMO, on par with 73' easily. Of course he was not as fast but his playing was more creative, had much more depth, and was extremely fluid. In fact I consider his playing in 98' his best playing ever but I am a huge fan of both Gilmour & Beck so you know I don't really care about speed, my whole focus is emotion and imagination.