Ten Years Gone Guitar Effects

Xolo1974

Hi guys, 

Been playing for a couple of years and I’ve now got a telecaster and about to invest in some pedals. 

I love this song. Which guitar effects pedals are in use for it. I also love the version by JP and the Black Crowes on the Wantaugh Excess All Areas boot. So heavy. 

Would appreciate any advice. 

Ta

If you are referring to some of the overdubs where the notes "wobble", my opinion is it is a MXR Phase 90. (Jimmy also used this pedal on Achilles)

The pedal was first manufactured in 1974 so at the time Jimmy was using new equipment!

There are thousands of pedals out there. Including systems where they are grouped in a pedal board form. 

My favorite distortion pedal is the Klon Centaur. (Rare to find but if you get your hands on one, it is well worth it!) Or you can still buy a Sola Sound Tone Bender Professional MKII. (Jimmy used it a lot: Good Times Bad Times rhythm guitar is an example. (front pickup))  

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/26/2018 at 10:10 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Hi guys, 

Been playing for a couple of years and I’ve now got a telecaster and about to invest in some pedals. 

I love this song. Which guitar effects pedals are in use for it. I also love the version by JP and the Black Crowes on the Wantaugh Excess All Areas boot. So heavy. 

Would appreciate any advice. 

Ta

Go to Sped Spedding and his YouTube lesson on this Song.  He knows Plant and is a great guitarist.  The ascending chords on this one after the opening riff in Drop D tuning is a bit complicated because I have seen different guitarists use different approach's to it.   The first lead is a descending type of fast two note chord shapes that go from the 10th fret and end in the 2nd fret on the two high strings played simultaneously.  Its a very complicated song instrumentally speaking.   Fabulous, classic, iconic and often overlooked.  If you happen to "ID" those chords used after the straight up A and then ascending after opening riff, do share it?  Its the last one going up that is the question.  And then descending also.  

PS, some of the lead is played as high as in the 17th fret.