What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

Well, there's two things I can recommend to you then.

I got this on my birthday (bought it, since nobody knows what I listen to) and it's excellent. It's at most Best Buys.

1098828.jpg

It's a live album of two nights and it's excellent.

Now for the studio stuff, I got this like...after Christmas at Best Buy and it's another excellent buy.

94022.jpg

It's pretty much both of their albums with Gram (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe) and about two or three unreleased tracks.

They are easy to find if you go to a well stocked Best Buy! :D

With all due respect, it's not like Best Buy is the only place to find Gram/Burrito Brothers stuff. I definitely understand them sometimes being the only game in town but whenever possible I try to support the indies. Not to mention Gram Parson and the Flying Burrito Brothers Archive, Vol. 1: Live at the Avalon Ballroom 1969 was released on Amoeba Records, one of the best (and biggest) record stores in the world. If interested, you can read more about it here.

Edited by Jahfin

Well, unfortunately, there isn't many good music stores around here, and even if there is, I only get to go there like 2 or 3 times a year because they are in the mall which is in another county. And of course, people could order them online, but then again, some of us don't have that ability....like me. But nonetheless, good buys.

Well, unfortunately, there isn't many good music stores around here, and even if there is, I only get to go there like 2 or 3 times a year because they are in the mall which is in another county. And of course, people could order them online, but then again, some of us don't have that ability....like me. But nonetheless, good buys.

Even though I find myself having to shop there sometimes one of the biggest problems with places like Best Buy (besides them helping to put indies out of business) is their complete lack of stock. Usually they only have greatest hits collections and not the deep back catalogs of artists you can find in actual record stores (and/or online). According to what I've been reading even Best Buy (as well as Circuit City and other "big box" stores) will soon be reducing their CD sections (if they haven't already) to make way for more DVDs and video games.

Even though I find myself having to shop there sometimes one of the biggest problems with places like Best Buy (besides them helping to put indies out of business) is their complete lack of stock. Usually they only have greatest hits collections and not the deep back catalogs of artists you can find in actual record stores (and/or online). According to what I've been reading even Best Buy (as well as Circuit City and other "big box" stores) will soon be reducing their CD sections (if they haven't already) to make way for more DVDs and video games.

Well, actually, the greatest hits thing is something I see at Target a lot. Best Buy can have good stock, you just have to go to the right one. The one in Fenton has somewhat good stock, but overall, it's shit. Now, the one in South County, it has a MASSIVE amount of cds, and there's lot more albums than greatest hits. It's all about the store you go to, I guess. Here's how I say it.

Target = Lots of greatest hits, lots of new stuff, barely any old stuff.

Wal-Mart = Mixed between old stuff and new stuff

Best Buy = Everything!

F.Y.I., and other mall stores = Everything + more! (which I would like to see around here)

In the end, I don't really care, I just want what I have my eyes set on.

In the end, I don't really care, I just want what I have my eyes set on.

Although I don't always have a lot of choice, I do try to be conscientious of where I spend my money since shopping at the big boxes does have an adverse effect on the struggling indie stores. In most cases the big box stores will not have what I'm looking for so I order through Schoolkids Records in Raleigh. This doesn't require a credit card and you're not even required to buy your selection once it arrives. As for Wal-Mart, I do have to shop there sometimes but largely avoid it, especially when it comes to music purchases since they sell censored product (that in most cases is unlabeled as such).

Yeah, I don't really buy uncensored albums, but if I'm gonna get 'em I'll get elsewhere.

Not trying to give you a hard time but if you're buying "uncensored" albums, what's the point in getting them elsewhere? Did you mean "censored"? Thing is, if you're buying something at Wal-Mart you don't know what you're getting since they don't label it as being censored.

I meant to concur with you on the Best Buy thing as far as locale. In my area the stock is usually pretty low since it's a small town. Even in larger towns where they have more stock, I still see mostly greatest hits compilations and not an artists' entire catalog to chose from.

As for FYE, I almost never buy anything from them unless it's from their used selections since they very rarely have anything on sale. Most of the time when I'm in there the price is usually $17.98 and up.

I mostly buy online. I haven't bought much music recently, and when I have, it was mostly vinyl...which is usually easiest to find online.

When I buy in town, Best Buy is the first place I usually check, unless it's something obscure, or if I'm looking specifically for vinyl. My local indie store jacks up the prices too much for me to buy there all the time, and in the end, that's all I really care about. My money. Sure, it's nice to know I'm supporting the small guy, but I'm in college! Plus, the chick that runs the indie store is kind of a prick.

If I happen to be in there and see something I like though, I'll buy it if I have the money. :)

I'm going to jump in on the conversation, but I really like to shop at independent stores. The music store that I use the most is independent and the people really know their stuff. I only bought one or two things from FYE. I got a Jefferson Airplane album there, Somebody To Love, it's a live album on CD and I got TSRTS Collector's Edition with all the stuff inside. I went with a friend to a little "village" place and it was lined with little shops and I found all kinds of things. My favourite find from that trip was my Alice's Restaurant vinyl.

I guess it's different in every town but it's been my experience that prices are also low at indie stores especially if it's something that just came out that week and/or if it's a local artist. As for your clerk being a "prick", yeah, you may sometimes run into that at independent stores but in my opinion it beats the shit out of the "help" at the big box stores who have to look everything up on a computer to be able to assist you (that is, if you can even find someone to help you to start with). I remember once mentioning Keith Richards to a wet behind the ears cashier at a Circuit City who said they didn't know who Keith Richards was. I didn't hesitate to laugh in their fuckin' face. How in the hell do you get a job in the music department if you don't know who in the hell Keith Richards is?

The local store that we go to is sometimes a dollar or two more expensive on CDs but I don't mind paying that since they have better service. I can get all kind of vinyl and freebies too. When Mothership came out they gave me some stickers, pins, etc. I'm not big on the Rolling Stone but how can you not know who Keith Richards is?!

Another thing I forgot to mention about indie stores (at least the one closest to me) is that you can often find advance promos of CDs and/or used copies of CDs that just came out. The advances are usually only a dollar or so and are a good way of checking out an album to see if you like it. If I do, I'll go ahead and buy an actual copy of it. It's also a good point that the folks that work in indie stores are usually much more knowledgeable about the music than anyone you're likely to find in any of the big box chain stores who are usually totally fucking clueless at best.

I got a CD of Zep interviews and other radio things for $8 at one. I was really excited. I also hate when I go into chain stores and ask for something like Zeppelin, Janis, etc and the people ask if I'm buying it for my parents or talk to me like I'm stupid. Just because I'm a teenager does not mean I'm clueless. I went into one store and asked where Jefferson Airplane was and he the guy wanted to know why someone my age was looking for that.

Not trying to give you a hard time but if you're buying "uncensored" albums, what's the point in getting them elsewhere? Did you mean "censored"? Thing is, if you're buying something at Wal-Mart you don't know what you're getting since they don't label it as being censored.

I meant to concur with you on the Best Buy thing as far as locale. In my area the stock is usually pretty low since it's a small town. Even in larger towns where they have more stock, I still see mostly greatest hits compilations and not an artists' entire catalog to chose from.

As for FYE, I almost never buy anything from them unless it's from their used selections since they very rarely have anything on sale. Most of the time when I'm in there the price is usually $17.98 and up.

Yeah, I meant censored.

FYE reminds me of Barnes & Noble, good stuff, but high price.

I agree, Barnes and Noble is expensive. I went to Borders in Indianapolis recently and it wasn't as bad. Right now I'm into reading books about people. I just went to the local music store and ordered Somebody To Love?: The Rock N Roll Memiors of Grace Slick. I can't wait for it to come in.

I went into one store and asked where Jefferson Airplane was and he the guy wanted to know why someone my age was looking for that.

Agreed. They sound like a real assmonkey.

If I go into a Borders or Barnes & Noble it is usually to look for books and magazines (B & N is also where I scored the Rolling Stone Cover To Cover collection a few weeks ago for $25 [it normally goes for $125]). That's not say I never peruse the music selections there either as you can sometimes find some stuff on sale but if I'm in a city big enough to have a B & N or a Borders that sometimes mean they're also big enough to have an indie store so I prefer to shop there. The exception being the new Tift Merritt which was offered as an "exclusive" (meaning it came with a bonus disc you can't find anywhere else) at B & N when it first came out.

Edited by Jahfin

It makes me so mad when they do that. Just because I'm not about 60 doesn't mean I can't like older music. I also went to the doc the other day and I have a fake tattoo on the inside of my wrist, it's a peace sign and I had on a Zep tshirt. The doctor asked me what I listened to. I put him into shock after saying Janis Joplin but he was REALLY surprised when I said Jefferson Airplane. He said "You didn't say Jefferson Starsship, so you do know old music. Do you like We Built This City?" Why is that the song they are famous for. I don't really like it, it's a little bit 80s. Something like White Rabbit or Plastic Fantastic Lover should be their big hit.

It makes me so mad when they do that. Just because I'm not about 60 doesn't mean I can't like older music. I also went to the doc the other day and I have a fake tattoo on the inside of my wrist, it's a peace sign and I had on a Zep tshirt. The doctor asked me what I listened to. I put him into shock after saying Janis Joplin but he was REALLY surprised when I said Jefferson Airplane. He said "You didn't say Jefferson Starsship, so you do know old music. Do you like We Built This City?" Why is that the song they are famous for. I don't really like it, it's a little bit 80s. Something like White Rabbit or Plastic Fantastic Lover should be their big hit.

I don't even consider Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship or Starship (the moniker they cut We Built This City under) to be the same bands so I wouldn't consider White Rabbit to be a Jefferson Starship or Starship song. In several "worst song ever" polls I've seen We Built This City come in at number one and rightfully so.

I agree, Barnes and Noble is expensive.

I don't know if it's exactly agreeable, because it's they've always been more expensive. Put it to you this way: I could get Bowie's Ziggy Stardust there for almost 20 bucks....I could get it elsewhere (Best Buy) for 13. It all fits into place. But then again, i saw some cds at B&N that others didn't have. Like, some Zappa OTHER than Cheap Thrills, and We're Only In It For the Money. In fact, that's where I got my Hot Rats cd...at B&N.

I don't even consider Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship or Starship (the moniker they cut We Built This City under) to be the same bands so I wouldn't consider White Rabbit to be a Jefferson Starship or Starship song. In several "worst song ever" polls I've seen We Built This City come in at number one and rightfully so.

I don't either. Jefferson Starship is ok, I have Red Octopus and it isn't bad, but it isn't Surrealistic Pillow by any means. I don't even listen to Starship. I like my music to have a thick substance to it, pychadelic if you will. Not 80s cheese music. We Built This City is one of those songs that people will always know, but only a select few will like. I sometimes clump Starship with bands like Duran Duran and the Culture Club, my mom likes them all. The 80s, overall, was not a good time for music.

I don't know if it's exactly agreeable, because it's they've always been more expensive. Put it to you this way: I could get Bowie's Ziggy Stardust there for almost 20 bucks....I could get it elsewhere (Best Buy) for 13. It all fits into place. But then again, i saw some cds at B&N that others didn't have. Like, some Zappa OTHER than Cheap Thrills, and We're Only In It For the Money. In fact, that's where I got my Hot Rats cd...at B&N.

I didn't even know Barnes And Noble sold CDs. I like Barnes And Noble and could spend $1000 in there easily, but our closest one is an hour away.

I guess it's different in every town but it's been my experience that prices are also low at indie stores especially if it's something that just came out that week and/or if it's a local artist. As for your clerk being a "prick", yeah, you may sometimes run into that at independent stores but in my opinion it beats the shit out of the "help" at the big box stores who have to look everything up on a computer to be able to assist you (that is, if you can even find someone to help you to start with). I remember once mentioning Keith Richards to a wet behind the ears cashier at a Circuit City who said they didn't know who Keith Richards was. I didn't hesitate to laugh in their fuckin' face. How in the hell do you get a job in the music department if you don't know who in the hell Keith Richards is?

Yeah, that sounds good...I think my indie store just sucks. :lol: All they do is sit behind the counter, nobody ever asks if I need help or anything, and the place is almost always empty. The employees are knowledgeable, but lazy.

On top of that, the vinyl section is generous, but it's only organized by genre...no alphabetizing whatsoever! If you're looking for something specific in there, good luck! Vinyls are always a couple dollars more expensive there than on the internet, but if I find something I want I'll get it. Beats waiting for it to ship here.

The 80s, overall, was not a good time for music.

I beg to differ. I believe it was a very good time for music. Some people look back at the 70s and all they remember is disco. Some look back at the 80s and all they remember is what was on MTV. Neither are very good indicators of music from either time period. And, as much as I may enjoy watching them, I also blame those I Love the 70s/80s/90s shows that air on VH1, especially the one that featured commentators that said "the jocks in high school liked The Who, the stoners liked Zeppelin". Some people that simply don't know any better will watch some bullshit like that and take it as fact. Back to the 80s, it was a very vibrant time period for music with the popularity of New Wave (not all of it was the type of shit featured on MTV), reggae, roots heavy bands like some of the artists I previously mentioned such as Los Lobos, the Long Ryders, Lone Justice and many, many others. If you like psychedelic music you would probably also be interested in the Paisley Pop explosion that happened during this era with artists such as the Bangles, the 3 O'Clock, the Long Ryders and many, many other bands. Quite a few of these artists are featured on a very excellent collection from Rhino Records called Children of Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the Second Psychedelic Era - 1976-1996 (a sequel to the original Nuggets collection). If you're interested, you can read more about it here. Then there were the artists that are often credited with giving birth to the "alternative" movement such as R.E.M., the Replacements, the Cure, U2, etc. Many of them are well represented on yet another excellent Rhino collection called Left of the Dial: Dispatches from the 80s Underground. Again, if you're interested in learning more you can do so here.

In other words, if you think all there was to the 80s was a bunch of synth heavy bands with questionable hairstyles on MTV and hair metal, there was a hell of a lot more to the 80s than that. I would say it's second next to only the 60s for such a creative time in music history when nearly everything had a chance at some sort of airplay whether it be college radio, mainstream radio or music television (not just MTV). All this and I haven't even touched on the Hardcore scene (which is very well depicted in the American Hardcore DVD) and how Stevie Ray Vaughan pretty much single handily kick-started the blues revival. The 80s "not a good time for music"? Hardly....

Edited by Jahfin

Yeah, that sounds good...I think my indie store just sucks. :lol: All they do is sit behind the counter, nobody ever asks if I need help or anything, and the place is almost always empty. The employees are knowledgeable, but lazy.

If you're used to shopping in the big box stores where folks are trained to ask you for help and that's what you're accustomed to, I wouldn't expect someone at an indie store to ask you for assistance. In fact, I can't think of an instance right off hand where one of them ever asked me for help. If I'm looking for something specific and I'm not there to just browse I ask the person behind the counter for help, I wouldn't ever expect them to ask me. Again, this isn't a big box. As for the store being empty, there's a very good reason for that, indies are going out of business at an alarming rate for a variety of reasons. I also don't know about the employees being "lazy" just because they don't ask if they can help you. In an indie store you have to be proactive and ask them for assistance.

On top of that, the vinyl section is generous, but it's only organized by genre...no alphabetizing whatsoever! If you're looking for something specific in there, good luck! Vinyls are always a couple dollars more expensive there than on the internet, but if I find something I want I'll get it. Beats waiting for it to ship here.

Again, if you're looking for something specific you're better off to ask the clerk for help rather than sifting through an endless array of vinyl. Personally, I love browsing but if I'm in a hurry I either call ahead or ask for help as soon as I enter the store.