Linklater at Work on Dazed and Confused Sequel

Jahfin

I don't see how it can be touted as a sequel if he doesn't intend for it to be. To be honest, the idea sounds okay, but it just kind of screams a little of St. Elmo's Fire. I may be interested to see it, but only because I like some of Linklater's stuff. It's not a particular era that's ever appealed to me.

While I enjoy the original, having actually grown up during that time period I can't say I relate to it 100%. Still, it's more accurate than most of the movies I've seen that have attempted to capture my generation on film. You're also simply never going to please everybody.

As for the new movie, I don't gather it's an attempt to "top" the original, rather it's continuation of the story.

As for the new movie, I don't gather it's an attempt to "top" the original, rather it's continuation of the story.

None of the original cast members are in the new movie; it was exceptional casting which made the first movie so entertaining, at least for me. I find it interesting how

he says the studios aren't even interested in producing anything original nowadays.

Certainly this explains how Sean freaking Penn gets cast as Larry Fine of the Three

Stooges in that new film.

While I enjoy the original, having actually grown up during that time period I can't say I relate to it 100%. Still, it's more accurate than most of the movies I've seen that have attempted to capture my generation on film. You're also simply never going to please everybody.

People I know who's generation it represented have also felt it was a fairly accurate depiction of the times. No I think they said it wasn't going to be a continuation as none of the original cast is involved. I gathered they were using the original as a framework.

I should have been clearer when I said "continuation of the story" as I didn't mean it to imply it would follow the characters from the original movie. Poor choice of words there on my part.

Much of the original captured the feeling of my high school and friends in the 70s through the music and things that my friends and I did in and out of school. What I didn't personally witness was the violence between the seniors and juniors in my high school. Certainly there was a rivalry but nothing to the extent that's portrayed in Dazed In Confused. Otherwise, I loved that movie.

I got a little excited when i read the title but if it does not have the orginal cast it's not a sequel then i am not interested. The only way the studios would be interested is if he got the orginal cast and did a proper sequel.

God damn. Is there no other good stories out there. I heard they are going to remake Slap Shot too

Except this movie isn't a remake. The article says it's not even actually a "sequel", at least not in the sense that most people think of the word.

I got a little excited when i read the title but if it does not have the orginal cast it's not a sequel then i am not interested. The only way the studios would be interested is if he got the orginal cast and did a proper sequel.

How can you make that statement without having any idea how the movie actually is. It's not supposed to be a sequel. Linkletter's a good writer - why not have an open mind :rolleyes:

How can you make that statement without having any idea how the movie actually is. It's not supposed to be a sequel. Linkletter's a good writer - why not have an open mind :rolleyes:

Because the story line does not interest me without those characters in it. And if it had those characters in it some movie studio would ante up the money.

Edited by spats

Because the story line does not interest me without those characters in it. And if it had those characters in it some movie studio would ante up the money.

What's the matter with indie films, which is exactly what Dazed and Confused was. It wasn't funded by a major film studio.

Which is why it's best to actually read what a thread is about before posting.

Yeah, I read "Linklater at work on Dazed and Confused Sequel"

So sorry.

First of all, there is no movie out there that demands an thread, unless its a sequel. Linklater making some movie is not news, what is news is that it could be a sequel, which apparently it is not.

Yeah, I read "Linklater at work on Dazed and Confused Sequel"

So sorry.

No need to apologize. While not a "sequel" in the classic sense of the word, this bit of news is being referred to as such since Linklater himself has called it a "spiritual sequel". In any event, it's still wise to look before you leap in regards to commenting on something you haven't even read.

First of all, there is no movie out there that demands an thread, unless its a sequel. Linklater making some movie is not news, what is news is that it could be a sequel, which apparently it is not.

Thanks for the guidelines on what is required to start a thread here. So, folks can't post about a movie unless it's a sequel? Maybe once you start your own board you can lay down the law about what you deem thread worthy. In the meantime the rest of us will start threads on anything we like. I'm quite interested in seeing it because it's a Linklater project. I could give a shit if it's an actual "sequel" or not.

For those interested, this piece which is linked from the original article explains why Linklater isn't using the same actors from Dazed and Confused in his new project.

No need to apologize. While not a "sequel" in the classic sense of the word, this bit of news is being referred to as such since Linklater himself has called it a "spiritual sequel". In any event, it's still wise to look before you leap in regards to commenting on something you haven't even read.

Thanks for the guidelines on what is required to start a thread here. So, folks can't post about a movie unless it's a sequel? Maybe once you start your own board you can lay down the law about what you deem thread worthy. In the meantime the rest of us will start threads on anything we like. I'm quite interested in seeing it because it's a Linklater project. I could give a shit if it's an actual "sequel" or not.

For those interested, this piece which is linked from the original article explains why Linklater isn't using the same actors from Dazed and Confused in his new project.

Im sorry, I thought you where the one who bashed everyone for not knowing as much about music as you do. I see your the movie asshole too.

Still, thread kinda sucks since we are talking about this.

Im sorry, I thought you where the one who bashed everyone for not knowing as much about music as you do. I see your the movie asshole too.

You must have me confused with someone else, I've never once bashed anyone on this site for "not knowing as much about music" as me, same goes for movies. I learn something new about music on this site and others most everyday. I merely started a thread on the upcoming new Linklater project. He himself referred to it as a "sequel".

Still, thread kinda sucks since we are talking about this.

For a thread you feel that "sucks", you sure have participated in it a lot.