Led Zeppelin with Sammy Hagar at MSG 2009

abfav

Not sure if this is true but I just found it here at: http://logicalleadguitar.com/magazine/?p=44

Sources have revealed – leaked may be more like it – that, in lieu of a reluctant Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin mastermind Jimmy Page has tapped “Red Rocker” Sammy Hagar as replacement vocalist for an October date at Madison Square Garden in New York. Tickets are to go on sale April 18 exclusively through LiveNation.com. Gruppo Campari, the Milan, Italy liquor distributor which last year purchased an 80 percent share in Hagar’s Cabo Wabo Tequila, is said to be in talks to sponsor the event.

Worldwide interest in the future of the once mighty Zeppelin has run rampant since a one-night-only, 2007 reunion of the surviving members of Led Zeppelin – guitarist Jimmy Page, vocalist Robert Plant, and bassist John Paul Jones (with deceased original drummer John Bonham’s son Jason on drums). Afterwards – and with estimates of a tour worth one billion dollars to the band members – fans were teased with the prospect of a far-reaching world tour, reviving a true “monster of rock” that has lain dormant since Bonham’s death in 1980.

But vocalist Plant has subsequently nixed those plans – and the hopes of diehard fans – opting instead to pursue a follow-up disc with bluegrass vocalist Alison Krauss in the wake of their Grammy-dominating album, Raising Sand.

Plant continued to throw, er, sand on the fire with this recent statement, posted on his website: “It’s both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward. I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects.”

But the singer’s former bandmates – who haven’t been nearly as busy as Plant in recent years – are clearly itching to get out and perform again. Bassist/keyboardist Jones told BBC Radio recently that the band is indeed hoping to tour in support of a new album and was actively searching for a lead singer “We are trying out a couple of singers,” Jones told the BBC. “We want to do it. It’s sounding great and we want to get on and get out there.”

Among those reported to have “jammed” with Page, Jones, and Bonham since last fall are Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, as well as Hagar. Billboard also recently reported that Alter Bridge singer Myles Kennedy had been invited to sing with the band, that according to Twisted Sister frontman Dee Snider, who was quoted in the piece and who shares management with Plant. Other rumors had Heart vocalist Ann Wilson, Whitesnake frontman David Coverdale, and the Foo Fighters’s Dave Grohl stepping into Plant’s shoes. Page and Jones had joined Grohl and the Foo Fighters on stage in London in August, 2008, performing two Led Zeppelin songs with Grohl on vocals.

Hagar is said to be excited about the Garden show, which falls coincidentally on his birthday – October 13. Fans of the former Van Halen vocalist know that date usually finds Hagar performing at his annual “Birthday Bash” at the Cabo Wabo Cantina, the nightclub he originally opened in 1991 with Edward and Alex Van Halen, and Michael Anthony. Hagar later bought out the interests of the other members of Van Halen in the club and has made an annual pilgrimage each October to perform at the Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, hotspot.

“I obviously love Zeppelin: I’ve played “Whole Lotta Love” in concert for years in tribute to the band,” Hagar said, when asked about the Madison Square Garden date. “I’m honored that Jimmy and John thought enough of my singing to give it a shot. At the same time, I want to apologize to my fans who plan on celebrating my birthday with me each year in Cabo. We’ll still be doing the bash that week, but I’ll be flying out for the night to live out every rock singer’s dream: to front the mighty Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden, where all the footage from “The Song Remains The Same” was shot! I’m sure all the RedHeads [Hagar’s followers call themselves “RedHeads”] out there can relate.”

Hagar had also just announced March 25th the release of the debut album by Chickenfoot, his new project featuring guitarist Joe Satriani, Van Halen alum Michael Anthony on bass, and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith. The California-based supergroup’s debut album will be released on June 7th exclusively through Best Buy in the United States, as well as a June 5th release in Germany and June 8th in the United Kingdom. Chickenfoot currently has 14 European dates on the calendar for June and July – leaving Hagar plenty of time to make it to the London-based rehearsals for the Zeppelin gig.

Not sure if this is true but I just found it here at: http://logicalleadguitar.com/magazine/?p=44

Sources have revealed – leaked may be more like it – that, in lieu of a reluctant Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin mastermind Jimmy Page has tapped "Red Rocker" Sammy Hagar as replacement vocalist for an October date at Madison Square Garden in New York. Tickets are to go on sale April 18 exclusively through LiveNation.com. Gruppo Campari, the Milan, Italy liquor distributor which last year purchased an 80 percent share in Hagar's Cabo Wabo Tequila, is said to be in talks to sponsor the event.

Worldwide interest in the future of the once mighty Zeppelin has run rampant since a one-night-only, 2007 reunion of the surviving members of Led Zeppelin – guitarist Jimmy Page, vocalist Robert Plant, and bassist John Paul Jones (with deceased original drummer John Bonham's son Jason on drums). Afterwards – and with estimates of a tour worth one billion dollars to the band members – fans were teased with the prospect of a far-reaching world tour, reviving a true "monster of rock" that has lain dormant since Bonham's death in 1980.

But vocalist Plant has subsequently nixed those plans – and the hopes of diehard fans – opting instead to pursue a follow-up disc with bluegrass vocalist Alison Krauss in the wake of their Grammy-dominating album, Raising Sand.

Plant continued to throw, er, sand on the fire with this recent statement, posted on his website: "It's both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward. I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects."

But the singer's former bandmates – who haven't been nearly as busy as Plant in recent years – are clearly itching to get out and perform again. Bassist/keyboardist Jones told BBC Radio recently that the band is indeed hoping to tour in support of a new album and was actively searching for a lead singer "We are trying out a couple of singers," Jones told the BBC. "We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."

Among those reported to have "jammed" with Page, Jones, and Bonham since last fall are Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, as well as Hagar. Billboard also recently reported that Alter Bridge singer Myles Kennedy had been invited to sing with the band, that according to Twisted Sister frontman Dee Snider, who was quoted in the piece and who shares management with Plant. Other rumors had Heart vocalist Ann Wilson, Whitesnake frontman David Coverdale, and the Foo Fighters's Dave Grohl stepping into Plant's shoes. Page and Jones had joined Grohl and the Foo Fighters on stage in London in August, 2008, performing two Led Zeppelin songs with Grohl on vocals.

Hagar is said to be excited about the Garden show, which falls coincidentally on his birthday – October 13. Fans of the former Van Halen vocalist know that date usually finds Hagar performing at his annual "Birthday Bash" at the Cabo Wabo Cantina, the nightclub he originally opened in 1991 with Edward and Alex Van Halen, and Michael Anthony. Hagar later bought out the interests of the other members of Van Halen in the club and has made an annual pilgrimage each October to perform at the Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, hotspot.

"I obviously love Zeppelin: I've played "Whole Lotta Love" in concert for years in tribute to the band," Hagar said, when asked about the Madison Square Garden date. "I'm honored that Jimmy and John thought enough of my singing to give it a shot. At the same time, I want to apologize to my fans who plan on celebrating my birthday with me each year in Cabo. We'll still be doing the bash that week, but I'll be flying out for the night to live out every rock singer's dream: to front the mighty Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden, where all the footage from "The Song Remains The Same" was shot! I'm sure all the RedHeads [Hagar's followers call themselves "RedHeads"] out there can relate."

Hagar had also just announced March 25th the release of the debut album by Chickenfoot, his new project featuring guitarist Joe Satriani, Van Halen alum Michael Anthony on bass, and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith. The California-based supergroup's debut album will be released on June 7th exclusively through Best Buy in the United States, as well as a June 5th release in Germany and June 8th in the United Kingdom. Chickenfoot currently has 14 European dates on the calendar for June and July – leaving Hagar plenty of time to make it to the London-based rehearsals for the Zeppelin gig.

I say April Fools Alert

Archived