Battle Of Evermore

MeanMrKetchup

As far as I know, Jonesy was the sole "back up" for Plant during all of the 77 performances, but I don't have all the shows. Bonzo sat upfront with the boys during this song so there is a chance he sang along, but unlikely (I've never seen a photo of him doing so).

A quickie: 6/21/77 ie LTTE is definitely Jonesy.

As far as I know, Jonesy was the sole "back up" for Plant during all of the 77 performances, but I don't have all the shows. Bonzo sat upfront with the boys during this song so there is a chance he sang along, but unlikely (I've never seen a photo of him doing so).

A quickie: 6/21/77 ie LTTE is definitely Jonesy.

Alright, Bonzo played percussion on all BOE, and he did sing the backing parts, along with Jonesy at the Landover shows.

My '77 tour program shows vocal mikes on everyone but Bonzo during Battle of Evermore. I remember he just sat there with a mallet and tambourine (with a head) in one hand while smoking a cigarette until his part rolled around, then he dramatically flipped the butt away a split second before he began to play. I thought it was the coolest part of the show back then and have not revised my opinion in almost 32 years. B)

This difference of opinion can be settled by applying the Knopflerian theory of 'two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong.'

bigstickbonzo said: As far as I know, Jonesy was the sole "back up" for Plant during ALL of the 77 performances.

Mary Hartman said: Jones and Bonham EXCHANGED who did Denny's part.

Mary, respectfully eschewing any and all aspersions to who's-right-who's-wrong, bigstickbonzo is correct: Jones covered Sandy's vocal parts live in 1977 one hundred per cent of the time.

Jones always sang it live, he never exchanged with Bonzo, however Bonzo did assist him on 28-5-77 and 30-5-77, I was wrong when I said all the dates, sorry. As for the extra mics those could've been for BYAS (not sure though).

Jones always sang it live, he never exchanged with Bonzo, however Bonzo did assist him on 28-5-77 and 30-5-77, I was wrong when I said all the dates, sorry. As for the extra mics those could've been for BYAS (not sure though).

Please excuse my adverbs but Bonham purportedly was a fairly good vocalist. The only time I've ever heard his speaking voice was when he was interviewed down under in Oz in February 1972. For such a big dude who'd growl 'we done four already, but now we're steady' he possessed a surprisingly high and (forgive me, Bonzo) girlish voice. He used to sing little ditties all the time and Page concocted Out On The Tiles using one of these (sometimes obscene) sea chanties:

We're gonna wear our rubbers

and pull some scrubbers

cause we're out on the tiles . . .

Please excuse my adverbs but Bonham purportedly was a fairly good vocalist. The only time I've ever heard his speaking voice was when he was interviewed down under in Oz in February 1972. For such a big dude who'd growl 'we done four already, but now we're steady' he possessed a surprisingly high and (forgive me, Bonzo) girlish voice. He used to sing little ditties all the time and Page concocted Out On The Tiles using one of these (sometimes obscene) sea chanties:

We're gonna wear our rubbers

and pull some scrubbers

cause we're out on the tiles . . .

Yes, I know Bonham is a good vocalist, well, even better than Page & Jones. I wasn't referring to him as a bad vocalist, he should've sang BOE live though, and if you want to hear him singing, I think he does that at the Southampton soundcheck, you should seek it out.

Yes, I know Bonham is a good vocalist, well, even better than Page & Jones. I wasn't referring to him as a bad vocalist, he should've sang BOE live though, and if you want to hear him singing, I think he does that at the Southampton soundcheck, you should seek it out.

I wasn't disagreeing, Sib. Those confusing run-on sentences of mine are why I flunked English.

Seriously, I think Bonham smacking that tambourine AND singing might've created havoc at the mixing desk. Besides, the lad deserved to smoke a cigarette in peace at that point in the show. :)

I gotta admit, Jonesy's singing on BOE live is epic, in a way you know?

Personally I've listened to more bootleg versions of Evermore more times than I ever listened to the LZ4 version so Jones' vocals sound natural to me by now. Probably a good thing they used Sandy on the record though.

This difference of opinion can be settled by applying the Knopflerian theory of 'two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong.'

bigstickbonzo said: As far as I know, Jonesy was the sole "back up" for Plant during ALL of the 77 performances.

Mary Hartman said: Jones and Bonham EXCHANGED who did Denny's part.

Mary, respectfully eschewing any and all aspersions to who's-right-who's-wrong, bigstickbonzo is correct: Jones covered Sandy's vocal parts live in 1977 one hundred per cent of the time.

Never said anything about specific dates. I thought it was easy to discern I was speaking in general.

And to be even more clear on your Knopflerian "theory." If two men say they are Jesus TWO of them are wrong. See word "theory" for help.

Never said anything about specific dates. I thought it was easy to discern I was speaking in general.

And to be even more clear on your Knopflerian "theory." If two men say they are Jesus TWO of them are wrong. See word "theory" for help.

I'm going to assume you're an American because the 'Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman' televison show would go over the heads of a British audience as much as the English soap opera 'Coronation Street' would baffle Americans. Therefore I'm advising you not to get your panties in a wad over this instead of getting your knickers in a twist.

I didn't request you to admit you were wrong nor did I ask for you to say I'm right. I tactfully pointed out you were subscribing to untrue information that might well embarrass you at your next cocktail party should you utter such misinformed half-baked doggerel in front of actual Zeppelin experts, of which there are many many many many many many here on this site.

I post on this site for fun, and to learn stuff. I reprinted your quote verbatim and there's not a word there about specific dates. That's waffling or hedging, take your pick. People can disagree with me all day and I will cheerfully retort. But if you argue with me I can get as ugly as Bonzo when he's been drinking and has had to make do with groupies for three weeks instead of sleeping with Pat.

You're arguing with me, Mary, but I'm still going to play nice.

1. I saw and heard Zep perform BOE with my own two eyes and ears in 1977.

2. I have photographic proof there wasn't a vocal mike anywhere near Bonham's mouth during that song.

3. I, too, cherish my recording of Listen To This, Eddie.

From what I can determine from your posts you can only claim one out of the above three and I don't know how in the world anybody can listen to a recording and glean who sang what unless it's Percy. If you wanna argue some more I'm standing by. And if you don't like Knopfler's lyrics allow me to substitute in lieu of Jesus: Two men say they're JFK, Hitler, Osama bin Laden, Captain Kangeroo---one of them must be wrong.

I'll admit I never understood the Mary Hartman program until I watched it tripping on acid one night in the late seventies. Then I thought it was funnier than hell.

Adieu, madam.

I have only heard one clip on You Tube of Jonesy singing the part, but this was from 1977 and I don't remember which show it was from. I personally don't think he sounded too bad. Sounded like he was more "singing-talking" than "singing-singing", if that makes any sense. :unsure: It has been a while since I listened, so I will have to listen again for more clarity Certainly sounds alot different from Sandy Denny or Alison Krauss singing the part, that's for sure, LOL.

I have only heard one clip on You Tube of Jonesy singing the part, but this was from 1977 and I don't remember which show it was from. I personally don't think he sounded too bad. Sounded like he was more "singing-talking" than "singing-singing", if that makes any sense. :unsure: It has been a while since I listened, so I will have to listen again for more clarity Certainly sounds alot different from Sandy Denny or Alison Krauss singing the part, that's for sure, LOL.

I have a recording with Jonesy singing it in 77 on the "Badgeholders Only" album. Was okay but certainly I prefer Sandy or Alison. I thought the version they did with Najma singing on the Unledded show was interesting, though I do like Alison's take on it better.

I have a recording with Jonesy singing it in 77 on the "Badgeholders Only" album. Was okay but certainly I prefer Sandy or Alison. I thought the version they did with Najma singing on the Unledded show was interesting, though I do like Alison's take on it better.

I also liked Najma's singing on Unledded, I forgot about her singing it too! But I also like Alison's take on it the best.

Archived