Crosby, Stills And Nash

Exclusive First Listen: Crosby, Stills And Nash

Hear 'Demos' In Its Entirety

By Bob Boilen

A new collection on Rhino Records, titled Demos, puts together a series of demo recordings of mostly solo songs by David Crosby, Graham Nash and Stephen Stills, plus a track with Neil Young. The album will be released on June 2, but you can listen to the album here, in its entirety:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=104401757

Exclusive First Listen: Crosby, Stills And Nash

Hear 'Demos' In Its Entirety

By Bob Boilen

A new collection on Rhino Records, titled Demos, puts together a series of demo recordings of mostly solo songs by David Crosby, Graham Nash and Stephen Stills, plus a track with Neil Young. The album will be released on June 2, but you can listen to the album here, in its entirety:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=104401757

Thanks for the link!

Does anyone here have an opinion on who they would pick as the best musician of the four? (I am including Neil Young of course). I don't mean vocals, I just mean playing ability. I personally prefer Neil Young to Crosby, Stills and Nash as a whole. After the Gold Rush and Harvest would have to be my favorite's as well as Everybody Knows this is Nowhere.

I think Stills is the most talented....at least as far as musical ability. His nickname was "Captain Many Hands" years ago. I saw him by himself, and by the time the evening was done, he had played every instrument on stage including percussion. Being the most talented doesn't always mean you are the most motivated or focused though.

Does anyone here have an opinion on who they would pick as the best musician of the four? (I am including Neil Young of course). I don't mean vocals, I just mean playing ability. I personally prefer Neil Young to Crosby, Stills and Nash as a whole. After the Gold Rush and Harvest would have to be my favorite's as well as Everybody Knows this is Nowhere.

Hard to answer. Stephen Stills is a great guitar player - highly underrated. David Crosby has a beautiful voice and is a unique song writer (thinking of his solo stuff), Neil Young - well he's an incredible songwriter. I'm not as familiar with Nash's solo works.

Anyways, back to the Demo album - got a chance to listen to it today and it was a real gem. Interesting to hear the tracks in that form. I'll likely pick this up at some point.

I personally prefer Neil Young to Crosby, Stills and Nash as a whole. After the Gold Rush and Harvest would have to be my favorite's as well as Everybody Knows this is Nowhere.

Have you ever heard On the Beach or Ragged Glory? The are two of my favorite Neil albums, although you rarely hear anything from either one of them on the radio.

I'm a fan of CSN, CSNY and Neil Young. I also like some of the solo stuff CSN have done in their solo careers as well as Buffalo Springfield, Manassas, the Byrds, etc. I guess what I love most about CSN are their vocal harmonies and the edge Neil brings to the table when they perform as CSNY. Fleet Foxes are often compared to CSN because of their harmonies. Above all, my favorite is probably Neil though. His records can be rather spotty but he's so damn prolific when he does release a good one, he can really knock it out of the ballpark.

I like them all with Nash probably at the end of the list. David Crosby has a wonderful voice that I never tire of hearing.

I'm a fan of CSN, CSNY and Neil Young. I also like some of the solo stuff CSN have done in their solo careers as well as Buffalo Springfield, Manassas, the Byrds, etc. I guess what I love most about CSN are their vocal harmonies and the edge Neil brings to the table when they perform as CSNY. Fleet Foxes are often compared to CSN because of their harmonies. Above all, my favorite is probably Neil though. His records can be rather spotty but he's so damn prolific when he does release a good one, he can really knock it out of the ballpark.

I love their other projects too. Stephen Stills is a fantastic guitar player but I've never been too crazy about his solo stuff. What I've heard is a bit too techno poppy for my ears. I think David Crosby's voice is absolutely gorgeous and his solo "If Only I Could Remember My Name" still gets regular play. But yes, Neil Young is certainly the most prolific writer even though I don't love everything he's done.

• 3 years later...

Great news if you are a CSN fan and near the New York area. There are still very reasonably priced tickets available to see CSN at the Beacon Theatre on Monday October 22nd. There is also a Saturday October 20th show at the Beacon too, but I didn't check ticket availability for that one. The advert on the show I checked said they would be playing their classic CSN 1969 album from start to finish. I'd love to see that. :) I hope someone here at the forum grabs some tickets and posts back.

Stephen Stills was interviewed today on MSNBC's Morning Joe. He was discussing CSN's 2012 Tour and asked his favorite CSN song. He said Changes. I think he meant this one....

But how great would it be to hear these?

Please excuse the extended post, but ran out of video posting room! Stephen Stills was also asked in the interview this morning (paraphrase), "What song did you know that you and Crosby and Nash had the magic going on with the music?" Stills said (paraphrase) "As soon as we sang the harmony on You Don't have to Cry, we knew that was it." This isn't one of their more well known songs, but I've always thought the music and especially lyrics are great. See what you think. :) Missy

"In the morning when you rise

Do you think of me and how you left me cryin'?

Are you thinkin' of telephones

And managers and where you got to be at noon?

You are living a reality

I left years ago it quite nearly killed me

In the long run it will make you cry

Make you crazy and old before your time...."

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That sucks...he was an awesome drummer, especially on the Manassas albums. Stills and Dallas Taylor sorta had the same kind of musical camaraderie that Page and Bonham did, they complemented one another well (which was part of why Neil Young and Taylor didn't get along and Neil had him ousted from CSNY.)

66,eh? Not too old, but then again if his book is any indication (Prisoner Of Woodstock) Dallas Taylor should have been dead years ago...not unlike David Crosby, Taylor's liver transplant gave him years he never would have had. Kudos to him for his drug counselling work as well. RIP

Edited by Nutrocker

I think Stills is the most talented....at least as far as musical ability. His nickname was "Captain Many Hands" years ago. I saw him by himself, and by the time the evening was done, he had played every instrument on stage including percussion. Being the most talented doesn't always mean you are the most motivated or focused though.

I would agree Stills is the most talented. He's an intriguing songwriter with a somewhat bleak outlook: 4+20, Questions/Carry On, Change Partners, Daylight Again, Southern Cross - the list goes on and on. I hadn't heard about him being unmotivated or unfocused.

Love that Graham Nash too though! I saw him in concert last Friday and, unbelievably, his voice is as strong as ever. The man is going to be 73 next month! He's lost a shade off the high end of his range, but no more. His new songs sound very good as well.

I would agree Stills is the most talented. He's an intriguing songwriter with a somewhat bleak outlook: 4+20, Questions/Carry On, Change Partners, Daylight Again, Southern Cross - the list goes on and on. I hadn't heard about him being unmotivated or unfocused.

No question about it, Stills is the most talented member of the bunch (and, yeah, that would include Neil Young.) He's not as much into the "Captain Manyhands" thing as he used to be -instrumentally Stephen dominates the first CSN LP and Deja Vu- but he can still play that fuckin' guitar. His lack of focus may have something to do with the fact that he spent a couple of decades in a haze of alcohol and cocaine abuse...on the big '74 CSNY reunion tour Stills was so out of it he was convinced he'd been in the CIA and served in Vietnam...until Neil had to tell him, "Uh, Stephen? We were in Buffalo Springfield at the time."

Supposedly Stills is working on an autobiography. Could make for some interesting reading.

Love that Graham Nash too though! I saw him in concert last Friday and, unbelievably, his voice is as strong as ever. The man is going to be 73 next month! He's lost a shade off the high end of his range, but no more. His new songs sound very good as well.

Goddammit, those guys need to go into the fucking studio and make another album (with or without ol' Shakey). I know Crosby put out a solo album a little while back but collectively their new songs are pretty good, and deserve to be out there- nevermind some hokey 'covers' project- these guys are still very talented writers and musicians...right now I think the world could use one more CSN album before they pack it in, one way or another...