Muddy Waters/Johnny Winter

Detigers09

I came across the 1977 (I think) cd "Breakin' it up, Breakin' it Down" a few years ago, which is a concert from Muddy Waters' new-look 1977 band (with Johnny Winter, James Cotton, Pinetop Perkins, etc.) Ever since then, I have been looking for more live material from this band. Does anyone know if any other live audio or video recordings of this band exist, bootleg or official?

On a different note, I strongly encourage any blues fan to buy this CD immediately. It merges delta-style blues, chicago-style blues, and Johnny Winter electric-style blues into a sound that is just unbelievable.

I came across the 1977 (I think) cd "Breakin' it up, Breakin' it Down" a few years ago, which is a concert from Muddy Waters' new-look 1977 band (with Johnny Winter, James Cotton, Pinetop Perkins, etc.) Ever since then, I have been looking for more live material from this band. Does anyone know if any other live audio or video recordings of this band exist, bootleg or official?

On a different note, I strongly encourage any blues fan to buy this CD immediately. It merges delta-style blues, chicago-style blues, and Johnny Winter electric-style blues into a sound that is just unbelievable.

Muddy "Mississippi" Waters - Live

Oh wow, thanks for that, I can't believe I haven't come across that yet. How would you compare it to Breakin it Up & Breakin it Down? Is it as good?

excellent version of "mannish boy" and "she's nineteen years old". it's from the same tour/band, there was alot of material recorded. buy it!

The 1977 Johnny Winters produced album "Hard Again" is a definite killer too,included is the 'new' version of "Mannish Boy".Good to see JW turned that one around and helped to re-launch Muddy's career....again.

I know you asked for Muddy and Johnny, but you have to get Muddy Waters At Newport 1960 if you haven't got it. It's essential! ;) In 2001 MCA released a remastered version which brought forward the all over bass sound and put Muddy's vocals more up front than the original release.

d10637r3c4o.jpg

You'll find the best version ever of I Got My Mojo Working on that disc! The sound in the clip below is no where near the sound of the album release, but still great to watch.

I know you asked for Muddy and Johnny, but you have to get Muddy Waters At Newport 1960 if you haven't got it. It's essential! ;) In 2001 MCA released a remastered version which brought forward the all over bass sound and put Muddy's vocals more up front than the original release.

d10637r3c4o.jpg

You'll find the best version ever of I Got My Mojo Working on that disc! The sound in the clip below is no where near the sound of the album release, but still great to watch.

Oh yes, thank you...that is by far one of my favorite live albums ever released. That version of Got My Mojo Working is definitely the highlight, and it is just perfect. Thanks for that clip too, I love how he starts tapdancing towards the end there :lol:

The 1977 Johnny Winters produced album "Hard Again" is a definite killer too,included is the 'new' version of "Mannish Boy".Good to see JW turned that one around and helped to re-launch Muddy's career....again.

Yeah thanks, I definitely need to get my hands on a few of those later albums. I always thought the pinnacle of Muddy's career was between the late 40s-mid 50s, but I'm now discovering that his later albums with Johnny Winter are actually just as good, or better.

Muddy Waters was quite good live in the late 70s.

He would do one song after the next and on into the night, each one a great song delivered with soul and passion.

Must have been great to have seen such a legend. Was he on a bill with anyone else?

I'm Ready and Hard Again were both produced by Johnny Winter, Johnny's own album Nothin But the Blues was recorded at the same time with some of the same personnel and included Muddy singing "Walkin Thru the Park". Must Have!

Archived