video from 71 tour

taker328

I was looking through some zep photos in their 1971 tour and I think that this was one of their most coolest images as a band. Page had that Serpico look with the big beard and the hats, Robert had that Viking look with the beard, and JPJ and Bonzo had them as well.

I didn't see this topic anywhere on the forum, but does anyone think that there is any 71 footage available at all? I mean, this tour is very intriguing to me because I could imagine watching a bearded grandpa looking page take out his violin bow And amaze you, or play the most heart wrenching blues ever, trying to match the sound coming out of him.. to his image.

I think we have film, be it professional or fan shot, of every Zeppelin time period except 71.

Anyone who has gone to a 71 concert, how did it feel? and do you think there is still more footage, or was the Zeppelin DVD the best Page had to offer?

k

I was looking through some zep photos in their 1971 tour and I think that this was one of their most coolest images as a band. Page had that Serpico look with the big beard and the hats, Robert had that Viking look with the beard, and JPJ and Bonzo had them as well.

I didn't see this topic anywhere on the forum, but does anyone think that there is any 71 footage available at all? I mean, this tour is very intriguing to me because I could imagine watching a bearded grandpa looking page take out his violin bow And amaze you, or play the most heart wrenching blues ever, trying to match the sound coming out of him.. to his image.

I think we have film, be it professional or fan shot, of every Zeppelin time period except 71.

Anyone who has gone to a 71 concert, how did it feel? and do you think there is still more footage, or was the Zeppelin DVD the best Page had to offer?

k

Check out the Houston 71 video on this site

It's annoying there's no pro shot footage from 1971. The year they release their most popular album and we got nothing. :(

Not only that, they had pro shot footage from the year before, and a movie two years later. Just in terms of the scenery and the long beards and that whole phase of led zeppelin, I wish I could've seen it on flim. Not only that, it was their tour where they went back to the small clubs that helped start their career, it would've been great to see them perform in those small clubs.

Again, I ask, in terms of TSRTS and the Led Zeppelin DVD, I know its a bit selfish to ask this, but do you think this is the only meaningful video footage that we'll probably ever see from Zeppelin again? I mean, Zeppelin said that they loved to film themselves for the amusment, and I would believe Jimmy Page has a very, very big archive. They were the biggest selling rock band of the 70's, yet I see so many more bands with more footage.

I ask this, do you think there are more gems stored somewhere that will shock us, or is the Led Zeppelin DVD the best we're going to get?

Not only that, they had pro shot footage from the year before, and a movie two years later. Just in terms of the scenery and the long beards and that whole phase of led zeppelin, I wish I could've seen it on flim. Not only that, it was their tour where they went back to the small clubs that helped start their career, it would've been great to see them perform in those small clubs.

Again, I ask, in terms of TSRTS and the Led Zeppelin DVD, I know its a bit selfish to ask this, but do you think this is the only meaningful video footage that we'll probably ever see from Zeppelin again? I mean, Zeppelin said that they loved to film themselves for the amusment, and I would believe Jimmy Page has a very, very big archive. They were the biggest selling rock band of the 70's, yet I see so many more bands with more footage.

I ask this, do you think there are more gems stored somewhere that will shock us, or is the Led Zeppelin DVD the best we're going to get?

There is plenty of footage. It's just a case of finding it and finding it in the right condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've got to imagine there is plenty of film footage somewhere, just for the fact that there are plenty of still photos of the band in Japan 1971 where you see Jimmy with a camera, probably an 8mm, maybe a 16mm. Most likely this footage is deep in a vault.

However, to Mr. E's point about 1971 being the year they released their most popular album, therefore there should be plenty of footage...it doesn't exactly work that way.

For one thing, Led Zep IV wasn't released until November of 1971, so most of the sales momentum and cultural impact was during 1972. For most of 1971 the band was still touring Led Zeppelin III, which was released late in 1970. It just so happens that the band was in such a creative and performing peak, that they felt no problem in performing the new songs they worked up for Led Zep IV months before the album would be released.

That is what makes the 1971 tours so unique: it is the first and only time you hear "Stairway" played without the crowd going bonkers at the beginning.

Archived