tin foil in the bass drum?

mrzepbonham

ok i heard that when recording bonham sometims lined the incide of his bass drum with tin foile?? it sounds cinda weard 2 me aney one no aneything about this?

I read some where a few years back that he got upset and tossed the bass drum across the stage at sound check, after a stage tech put a pillow inside his bass drum. He was screaming, "I put nothing in my bass drum"! As the drum goes flying across the stage, maybe the tech goes flying out of the building!

I read some where a few years back that he got upset and tossed the bass drum across the stage at sound check, after a stage tech put a pillow inside his bass drum. He was screaming, "I put nothing in my bass drum"! As the drum goes flying across the stage, maybe the tech goes flying out of the building!

Nice! :D

I saw in Jeff Ochletree's Trust Your Ears video, that as he's putting a head on the Bonham Vistalite kit, he puts a felt strip across the bass drumhead. And this guy was his drum tech! I've seen a million pics of Bonham playing that kit, and no felt, no Remo rings, no nuthin! He just knew how to tune them. Evidently some kind of lost art! :lol:

I saw in Jeff Ochletree's Trust Your Ears video, that as he's putting a head on the Bonham Vistalite kit, he puts a felt strip across the bass drumhead. And this guy was his drum tech! I've seen a million pics of Bonham playing that kit, and no felt, no Remo rings, no nuthin! He just knew how to tune them. Evidently some kind of lost art! :lol:

the fact that he dident Muffle his bass drum and because of its size it sounded soo hevy, and not to menchin loud as hell lol

... I've seen a million pics of Bonham playing that kit, and no felt, no Remo rings, no nuthin! He just knew how to tune them. Evidently some kind of lost art! :lol:

So it seems. I've never understood why drummers want to stuff the thing with fluffy items to deaden the sound.

I can only assume it's a product of collective thinking - wanting to sound like their peers - not like themselves.

I've had serious run-ins with sound guys, who have deliberately made a bass drum sound bad, purely because the drummer won't damp down a perfectly good sounding kit. I tell them that I'm paying their wages, and unless I get what I want they won't get paid.

Don't let these buggers get away with it.

RB

On the other hand, a dampened drum kit can still sound massive when mic'd and blasting out a PA.

The tiny oomph you get when hitting a bass drum with a pillow can still rock a stadium. I think the idea with most drummers, including me, is that it's a more clear sound. I can't afford, and don't really want to use triggers, so it's really the only option.

Plus it pisses the neighbours off less.

That may be the same thing I read, I don't remember the exact wording, may have been a felt muff.

I always use a dampener of some kind, I have the store bought kind on the 2nd (large) and floor tom's, small tom is ringing wild and free! And both the store bought and a blanket in the bass drum.

Archived