Bad Company/ Doobie Brothers at Jones Beach 6/28/09

Wolfman

Good show tonight at the legendary Nikon at Jones Beach Theater as the Doobie Brothers opened up for Bad Company. Doobies are amazing live with everyone in the band showing off their skills. They basically do a greatest hits set (minus "What A Fool Believes"). Then came the reason I drove two hours...Bad Company. So good live. Paul sounds great as usual and Mick was in great form. Both he and Simon look like blokes you would find sitting next you at your local pub, but they still rock. I was eleven rows from the stage and it was very cool to see how good they were up close. I also enjoyed all the dry ice they use for certain songs. Couldn't help but think about seeing No Q back in '73. Speaking of Zep, this place reminds me of one of those old venues you see them play back in the day. The whole place is open and is kinda shaped like a big L. Crowd was very into the show and I must say that the ladies really seem to dig Bad Company. Must be Paul. <_< Here's the setlist but out of order:

Can't Get Enough

Rock Steady

Run With the Pack

Live for the Music

Burnin' Sky (AWESOME)

Gone, Gone,

Electricland

Seagull (Fantastic)

When Will I Ever Be Free?

Movin' On

Simple Man

Shooting Star

Deal With the Preacher

Feel Like Makin' Love

Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy

Ready for Love

Encore:

Bad Company (AWESOME)

Good show tonight at the legendary Nikon at Jones Beach Theater as the Doobie Brothers opened up for Bad Company. Doobies are amazing live with everyone in the band showing off their skills. They basically do a greatest hits set (minus "What A Fool Believes"). Then came the reason I drove two hours...Bad Company. So good live. Paul sounds great as usual and Mick was in great form. Both he and Simon look like blokes you would find sitting next you at your local pub, but they still rock. I was eleven rows from the stage and it was very cool to see how good they were up close. I also enjoyed all the dry ice they use for certain songs. Couldn't help but think about seeing No Q back in '73. Speaking of Zep, this place reminds me of one of those old venues you see them play back in the day. The whole place is open and is kinda shaped like a big L. Crowd was very into the show and I must say that the ladies really seem to dig Bad Company. Must be Paul. <_< Here's the setlist but out of order:

Can't Get Enough

Rock Steady

Run With the Pack

Live for the Music

Burnin' Sky (AWESOME)

Gone, Gone,

Electricland

Seagull (Fantastic)

When Will I Ever Be Free?

Movin' On

Simple Man

Shooting Star

Deal With the Preacher

Feel Like Makin' Love

Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy

Ready for Love

Encore:

Bad Company (AWESOME)

Love both of these bands. In 1999 I was working at an oceanfront hotel in Florida. A corporate company was there for an incentive. They had 100 people attending and they had hired The Doobie Brothers for their final gala dinner/entertainment. So it was very intimate to say the least. I had the responsibility of making sure all went well so I had several conversations with the members of The Doobie Brothers. I asked them if we could bring out the Chefs and have the group applaud them for all of their hard work. These food and beverage people usually do not get the well deserved recognition. So we did and they did a big shout out for them. They then invited myself and the Food and Beverage team to their private dinner after the concert. I remember telling them that 15/20 years earlier I would have never imagined this. They were all great guys. I will remember this forever.

Have these type of shows become the modern day equivalent of say the Inkspots and other artists touring solely for the purpose of nostalgia, especially since there's no new music involved? On the one hand I wouldn't mind seeing Bad Company (and even the Doobie Brothers) but I think it would have been much better to have seen both in their prime. Not that both aren't still good now but back when they were releasing new material during their respective heydays. For the Doobies, that would be the years without Michael McDonald.

Have these type of shows become the modern day equivalent of say the Inkspots and other artists touring solely for the purpose of nostalgia, especially since there's no new music involved? On the one hand I wouldn't mind seeing Bad Company (and even the Doobie Brothers) but I think it would have been much better to have seen both in their prime. Not that both aren't still good now but back when they were releasing new material during their respective heydays. For the Doobies, that would be the years without Michael McDonald.

Agreed on all accounts. I'm just so sick of it all. I'm like so done going to concerts. I've lost all interest.

I'm far from done with going to concerts I just don't have a whole lot of interest in seeing what basically amounts to nostalgia acts. In all fairness though, I have seen Van Halen and the Police in recent years, both of whom performed no new music whatsoever. I went to see the Police simply because I'd never seen them. Though I enjoyed it I would have rather seen them back when I originally wanted to, on the Synchronicity tour. As for Van Halen, I went purely for nostalgic reasons and have never made any secret of that fact. I'd only seen them once before (1979) and wanted to see them just one more time with Dave.

I suppose it depends on what you are into. I'd rather see and hear Eric Clapton tear into his classics because I really like it, than pretend I am more into something than I am just because it's new. New, old, in between or whatever as long as it's what I'm into at the moment is all that counts to me.

I suppose it depends on what you are into. I'd rather see and hear Eric Clapton tear into his classics because I really like it, than pretend I am more into something than I am just because it's new. New, old, in between or whatever as long as it's what I'm into at the moment is all that counts to me.

I'm all about seeing what I'm into as well, I guess I just don't care for a lot of the "going through the motions" aspects of some of these type of bills. I know it may not be true of all of them but I would imagine it's true of a lot of them. I also prefer the intimacy afforded by seeing artists in smaller venues rather than stadiums and arenas and all of the hassles that usually entails.

I'm with you. Great music is timeless....whether it's produced in 1965, 1975, 2005 or yesterday.

The only aspect of the word Nostalgia that i recognize might be the girls i used to "date" i High School. :D

It also seems whenever one of these bands starts to play new music, everyone gets up to take a leak. I only go to see an older band if most of the original members are still part of it. This was a "reunion" for Bad Company so that's why I went. It was a blast. I'm a concert junkie. If they play good music, I'm there.

Whether or not the band plays new music shouldn't matter. Besides unless a band is touring to support a debut album they are going to be playing songs that are years old. If you go to a Prince concert you expect to hear Let's Go Crazy. If you go to a Wilco show you know you will be hearing music that could date as far back as 1994. It shouldn't detract from whether or not the band puts on a good show. Sure the reunion thing can get kind of nostalgic. I could think of worse things than that. Considering that nearly everyone that frequents this forum would give an eye to be front row and center and a Zep reunion it's safe to say whether or not it's nostalgic shouldn't matter. It all comes down to what the individual is expecting from the show, if you're not into that particular band at that time it's a bust.

It also seems whenever one of these bands starts to play new music, everyone gets up to take a leak. I only go to see an older band if most of the original members are still part of it. This was a "reunion" for Bad Company so that's why I went. It was a blast. I'm a concert junkie. If they play good music, I'm there.

I think this was the case with band-wagon Zep fans at the '98 Page/Plant shows. I asked a kid in Cleveland, "How could you get and go piss when they played "Heart In Your Hand"?" He said new stuff wasn't any good.

I think this was the case with band-wagon Zep fans at the '98 Page/Plant shows. I asked a kid in Cleveland, "How could you get and go piss when they played "Heart In Your Hand"?" He said new stuff wasn't any good.

What a dumbass. :rolleyes:

What a dumbass. :rolleyes:

Agreed - they really cooked with the new material on that tour. Although the couple of times I saw them in '98, they didn't play as much new stuff as I would have hoped for. Shining In The Light would have been great!!

Wolfman, glad you got to see Bad Co., I would definitely catch them with Paul if they came down here - but not without him. Jones Beach always gets the BEST shows!! Peace.

Archived