June 28, 1972 Tuscon AZ...

Strider

Okay, I just had a listen to Scorpio's "GET BACK", which is the audience tape of the June 28, 1972 concert in Tuscon, Arizona...the last gig of the 1972 U.S. tour.

And while, sure, the sound quality isn't as good as "Burn That Candle" from the 6-25-72 LA Forum show...and definitely not the SBD from 6-27-72 Long Beach or the official release of the Long Beach/LA shows "How the West Was Won"...the performance itself is blazing hot!

In fact, is it blasphemous of me to say that the Tuscon concert might even be better than the LA Forum/Long Beach Arena shows?

The only negative is the shorter setlist...the acoustic set was cut drastically down to only one song and there weren't the crazy encores that we got treated to in LA. Only one encore in Tuscon: "Rock and Roll".

Unless of course, there were more songs played at Tuscon but the taper didn't tape them or ran out of tape.

But what is there is astounding...Immigrant Song to Since I've Been Loving You comes on a storm, with the band playing even more insanely intense than the LA shows.

Dazed goes on for half an hour and I heard a couple additional jams added to the middle part that weren't in any of the LA versions. Whole Lotta Love also seems to be the longest of this tour...30 minutes. As crazed as the audience is cheering at the end it's a shame the band didn't do more encores...as on fire as the band is, The Ocean and Thank You would have been legendary versions for sure.

Anyway, this is not meant to slight the 1972 LA/Long Beach shows...as they were fantastic concerts and deserved of official release.

But I think there might be a tendancy for some people to annoint the LA stand as the highpoint of the tour and overlook the show that occured just a mere day after the Long Beach Arena gig...no rest for the wicked.

If you haven't taken the time to search out the 1972 Tuscon show thinking it would be redundant with the LA/Long Beach shows released, I urge you to take the time to find it and give it a listen.

See if you don't agree that as great as the performances on "HTWWW" are, there seems to be just an extra level of scary intensity to the Tuscon show.

If only the Tuscon show had been multi-tracked!!!

Yes, it's an amazing show, the band is definitively as tight as in LA & Seattle, but that "5th element" that made those 2 shows so legendary isn't here (no, that 5th element isn't based on encores), but it's about as "tight" as the band got that year, and that shows in D&C, the opening 4 songs and WLL, which features oddball keyboard playing from Jones or someone else :huh: .

Ooooooh, I have been wanting to get my hands on those 1972 Nassau and Seattle shows for years, but have never been able to find them at the places I go for live shows.

I am assuming these shows are both sourced from audience tapes...or is there a SBD? Is there a particular audience source that is better than the rest? What titles should I look for?

Ooooooh, I have been wanting to get my hands on those 1972 Nassau and Seattle shows for years, but have never been able to find them at the places I go for live shows.

I am assuming these shows are both sourced from audience tapes...or is there a SBD? Is there a particular audience source that is better than the rest? What titles should I look for?

Unfortunately, there's no soundboards for any of the 72 shows besides what's already out there. The first night in Nassau is available in a fair audience recording on different boots out there. For the Seattle audience recording, the Empress Valley bootleg "Dancing Again" is the way to go. Again, not the best sound quality on that show either. But the performances are amazing.

I like this show a lot as well, though I wont go as far to say its better than the LA or Long Beach shows, its certainly worthy of being in the discussion. I guess the only thing I can nitpick about it is Plant's voice cracks a few times here and there but you're right this is a hot concert.

I also agree that the Seattle and Nassau shows are killer and ones you must-have just for the performances alone, they are incredible. The Seattle show from 6/19 is IMO, the best of that year. If only the recording was better, the same goes for the Nassau shows.

Archived