The Jimi Hendrix Experience Live at Woburn, July 6, 1968

Otto Masson

Just received this by e-mail.

By July 1968, Axis: Bold As Love was still a top selling album but Jimi had long since moved on to new challenges. To Hendrix, performances such as Woburn were unique, shared experiences and not simply personal appearances intended to help shift units of albums or singles. At Woburn, Jimi skipped songs from Axis: Bold As Love altogether, electing instead to ‘jam' as he called it—kicking off his set with a spirited "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." The trio followed with "Fire," and despite beset with buzzing, crackles and otherwise unwanted noises throughout their set, The Experience continued to persevere doing their best to surmount the technical problems that hampered an otherwise animated set.

Although opting to bypass music from Axis: Bold As Love, Hendrix did foreshadow his next album at Woburn, stretching out a marvelous 10+ minute version of "Tax Free;" an early contender for Electric Ladyland and a favorite Experience vehicle for improvisation. Hendrix followed up with another extended improvisational rendition of "Red House" before closing the show with a trio of live concert stalwarts "Foxey Lady," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "Purple Haze."

In launching into "Purple Haze," Jimi kicked off a boisterous feedback opening, buttressed by Mitchell and Redding and complete with tremolo bar swoops, wah-wah pedal shadings and soaring dive bomb styled bursts that transitioned seamlessly into the song's unmistakable opening notes. At its conclusion, the audience roared with approval. While no microphones were positioned to fully capture the intensity of their reaction, their enthusiasm and calls for more can be easily heard through Jimi and Noel's stage microphones.

The Experience's performance at Woburn Music Festival would mark the trio's last performance in England until the two celebrated concerts in February 1969 at the Royal Albert Hall.

TRACK LISTINGS:

1. Introduction (1:07)

2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1:11)

3. Fire (4:19)

4. Tax Free (10:11)

5. Red House (11:30)

6. Foxey Lady (4:55)

7. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (6:38)

8. Purple Haze (8:10)

Just received this by e-mail.

By July 1968, Axis: Bold As Love was still a top selling album but Jimi had long since moved on to new challenges. To Hendrix, performances such as Woburn were unique, shared experiences and not simply personal appearances intended to help shift units of albums or singles. At Woburn, Jimi skipped songs from Axis: Bold As Love altogether, electing instead to ‘jam' as he called it—kicking off his set with a spirited "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." The trio followed with "Fire," and despite beset with buzzing, crackles and otherwise unwanted noises throughout their set, The Experience continued to persevere doing their best to surmount the technical problems that hampered an otherwise animated set.

Although opting to bypass music from Axis: Bold As Love, Hendrix did foreshadow his next album at Woburn, stretching out a marvelous 10+ minute version of "Tax Free;" an early contender for Electric Ladyland and a favorite Experience vehicle for improvisation. Hendrix followed up with another extended improvisational rendition of "Red House" before closing the show with a trio of live concert stalwarts "Foxey Lady," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "Purple Haze."

In launching into "Purple Haze," Jimi kicked off a boisterous feedback opening, buttressed by Mitchell and Redding and complete with tremolo bar swoops, wah-wah pedal shadings and soaring dive bomb styled bursts that transitioned seamlessly into the song's unmistakable opening notes. At its conclusion, the audience roared with approval. While no microphones were positioned to fully capture the intensity of their reaction, their enthusiasm and calls for more can be easily heard through Jimi and Noel's stage microphones.

The Experience's performance at Woburn Music Festival would mark the trio's last performance in England until the two celebrated concerts in February 1969 at the Royal Albert Hall.

TRACK LISTINGS:

1. Introduction (1:07)

2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1:11)

3. Fire (4:19)

4. Tax Free (10:11)

5. Red House (11:30)

6. Foxey Lady (4:55)

7. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (6:38)

8. Purple Haze (8:10)

How's it going "Otto Masson?" I received the e-mail also and I already received my CD. This concert sounds incredible. You must be a HENDRIX fan also, I really like JIMI HENDRIX. I own a lot of bootlegs on HENDRIX. ROCK ON!

have you guys heard of the Hendrix album, south saturn delta, i just got it and it is pure ear pleasure

How's it going "Hots on for nowhere?" I hope all is well with you. I do own the CD and I absolutely LOVE IT! I love all of the tracks but my favorites are "Look Over Yonder" and "Midnight." Those two songs kick ass. Do you own the "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun," "Blues" and "Voodoo Soup" albums on CD? These are also great albums if you like the "South Saturn Delta" album. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Hots on for nowhere?" I hope all is well with you. I do own the CD and I absolutely LOVE IT! I love all of the tracks but my favorites are "Look Over Yonder" and "Midnight." Those two songs kick ass. Do you own the "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun," "Blues" and "Voodoo Soup" albums on CD? These are also great albums if you like the "South Saturn Delta" album. ROCK ON!

thank you i hope all is well with you too...yes i have "first rays of the new rising sun" but i've never heard of "Blues" i've heard of "voodoo soup" but i've never been able to find it

also i too love love love "Look Over Yonder" it has one of the best Hendrix solos i think i've ever heard

Good to hear that two of you have already heard this and liked it. :)

I too really like the series. I still don't have all of them, but I think it's a good supplement to the boots and the ordinary official releases - and the older Polydor releases (like the 4CD Stages box set, the Winterland, etc).

I must say I still tend to think in terms not of South Saturn Delta, First Rays, and all that, but of Cry Of Love, etc. - the old album names. Old habits, I guess. I even dug up old CD releases of Cry of Love and War Heroes for that reason. :lol:

I too really like the series. I still don't have all of them, but I think it's a good supplement to the boots and the ordinary official releases - and the older Polydor releases (like the 4CD Stages box set, the Winterland, etc).

I must say I still tend to think in terms not of South Saturn Delta, First Rays, and all that, but of Cry Of Love, etc. - the old album names. Old habits, I guess. I even dug up old CD releases of Cry of Love and War Heroes for that reason. :lol:

Cry Of Love....Brilliant album. Oh what could have been :(

Cry Of Love....Brilliant album. Oh what could have been :(

I agree, Ally. Some of his best music is on that album, and the sounds his guitars are making on those amazingly beautiful songs, like Angel or Drifting, are among his most astonishing ever to my mind. These songs are simply alive. It was a terrible loss.

RollingStone002.jpg

How's it going "Otto Masson?" I hope all is well with you. I also own both the Cry Of Love and War Heroes CD's. Then again, you wouldn't believe what I own on JIMI HENDRIX. Take care and ROCK ON

Archived