GIBSON AND FENDER CUSTOM SHOP GUITARS.

led zep maniack

Hello fellow guitar players I just wanted some feedback on what fellow guitarists think of the fender and gibson custom shop guitars that are available. Are they worth the extra money and is the sound and craftsmanship a lot better than a so called regular strat or les paul. Im looking to buy a 1969 strat custom shop guitar. Any feedback would be great thanks. :slapface:

Hello fellow guitar players I just wanted some feedback on what fellow guitarists think of the fender and gibson custom shop guitars that are available. Are they worth the extra money and is the sound and craftsmanship a lot better than a so called regular strat or les paul. Im looking to buy a 1969 strat custom shop guitar. Any feedback would be great thanks. :slapface:

In my singular experience, with Gibson, yes.

Both custom shops can do great work. My 57 Goldtop and 59 Sunburst Les Paul Reissues play like the dream, and the Eric Johnson Signature Strat is possibly the best Strat I've ever played, though my American Standards are both excellent players.

Both custom shops can do great work. My 57 Goldtop and 59 Sunburst Les Paul Reissues play like the dream, and the Eric Johnson Signature Strat is possibly the best Strat I've ever played, though my American Standards are both excellent players.

I've heard that those EJ strats are the best money can buy. The only issue I've ever seen in any review is the finish options.

I have a 2008 Am Standard Strat and it plays and sounds great, plus it stands up to abuse pretty well.

its like buying a car, you can buy a cheap car, or you can buy a ferrari, they essentially do the same thing. i have a 57 black beauty vos, samshing guitar, but does the same thing as a guitar for a tenth of the price.

It depends. If you are a shit player in the first place, throwing $$$$$$ at some high end Gibson isn't going to make you play any better. If you can't do it on a $200 guitar you still won't be able to on a $5000 guitar.

I was in the guitar business for 30 years and the difference in quality and actual ease of playing between something that costs megabucks and looks like a prostitute's handbag and a $800 average plank is next to nothing. If you want to pay for the name go ahead. I wouldn't.

All Gibson and Fender have done in the past 50 years is re-invent the wheel. They got it right the first time but there's more money to be made re-issuing this stuff in different ways. You want a Fender "Relic?" Buy a Standard Stratocaster and tow it behind your car for a day. Utter bollocks.

In my opinion no. I've owned offerings from both manufacturers custom shops and though both were fine instruments a lot of what made for the high price had nothing to do with playability or tone. Many of Fender's CS guitars are reissues and relics and I know you can build a similar guitar with parts for much less. Some of the real high end Fender CS stuff like the Masterbuilt models and the dealer select guitars have features you can't find anywhere else but the price is crazy high on those.

Like Fender many of Gibson's CS guitars are based of RI's or are relics and sig models. There are some construction differences between the CS Gibbys and the production line stuff, non weight relieved bodies and long tenon neck joints but again both can be found in cheaper guitars.

If I was going to consider a CS Fender I'd build a partscaster and end up with something just as nice for much less. Actually I am slowly assembling a 60's style Strat right now. I have a used thin skin lacquer (nitro) finished Fender alder body I bought for $200 and an aftermarket lacquer (nitro) finished neck that has been well played and looks like a neck on a relic Strat that I paid $240 for. After I buy high quality electronics and hardware I'll still spend less than 1K and I'll have really nice guitar. If I was in the market for a CS style Gibby I'd get on eBay and find an Orville by Gibson RI Les Paul, SG or 335. Same construction features as the CS Gibbys, lacquer, long tenon, no weight relief etc. The nicest mint Orville's would be around $800-1200.

Archived