If you were to split Led Zeppelin's career into chapters where would you draw the line

what would you name the chapters?

also explain why you chose the breaks

imo:

two:

Chapter 1: Misty Mountain Hop (1968 to 1973)

It's pretty much all good for their first 6 years. In 1973 Plant's voice starts to fall apart. Also 1973's HotH is their last album with Atlantic records. 1974 is the first year where they neither tour nor release another album.

Chapter 2: In Through the Out Door (1974 to 1982)

three:

Chapter 1: Misty Mountain Hop (1968 to 1973) (same reasons as above)

Chapter 2: Physical Graffiti (1974 to 1977)

1978 was the second and last year that they neither toured nor released an album as a band. What separates these chapters is the death of Plant's son and the band's near break-up at the time.

Chapter 3: In Through The Out Door (1978 to 1982)

four:

Chapter 1: Led Zeppelin (1968 to 1970)

Made the split at '71 because with their 4th album they became much more accepted as a band and gained a much larger fan base. People stopped comparing them to bands like Black Sabbath and Stairway to Heaven launched them to a legendary status. Also with their 4th album they for the first time made an album without Led Zeppelin in the title.

Chapter 2: Misty Mountain Hop (1971 to 1973)

Chapter 3: Physical Graffiti (1974 to 1977)

Chapter 4: In Through The Out Door (1978 to 1982)

What do you think? agree? disagree? where would you draw the line? post your own

imo:

two:

Chapter 1: Misty Mountain Hop (1968 to 1973)

It's pretty much all good for their first 6 years. In 1973 Plant's voice starts to fall apart. Also 1973's HotH is their last album with Atlantic records. 1974 is the first year where they neither tour nor release another album.

Chapter 2: In Through the Out Door (1974 to 1982)

three:

Chapter 1: Misty Mountain Hop (1968 to 1973) (same reasons as above)

Chapter 2: Physical Graffiti (1974 to 1977)

1978 was the second and last year that they neither toured nor released an album as a band. What separates these chapters is the death of Plant's son and the band's near break-up at the time.

Chapter 3: In Through The Out Door (1978 to 1982)

four:

Chapter 1: Led Zeppelin (1968 to 1970)

Made the split at '71 because with their 4th album they became much more accepted as a band and gained a much larger fan base. People stopped comparing them to bands like Black Sabbath and Stairway to Heaven launched them to a legendary status. Also with their 4th album they for the first time made an album without Led Zeppelin in the title.

Chapter 2: Misty Mountain Hop (1971 to 1973)

Chapter 3: Physical Graffiti (1974 to 1977)

Chapter 4: In Through The Out Door (1978 to 1982)

What do you think? agree? disagree? where would you draw the line? post your own

Hello zeppelincheetah,

I can't really break down into chapters as you have proposed. While STH did increase their fan base, they already had a loyal following prior to that. They had devastating personal things that happened as well and would effect any band! Roberts voice never fell apart.

For the 12 years they gave us, and the respect for their music from other musicians as well as their fans to this day speaks for itself IMHO.

Three chapters, each five years in length:

Chapter 1: Ascent - 1968-1972 From a small rehearsal room in Soho to becoming biggest band in rock

Chapter 2: In Full Flight 1973-1977 Record breaking crowds, gold albums, duckwalks and lazers

Chapter 3: Into the Storm 1978-1982 Grief, inner turmoil, back to basics, tragedy, the final album

Note launch of the Swan Song label did not sever their close association with Atlantic Records, as they remained under recording contract and Atlantic handled distribution for Swan Song. CODA was produced to meet their final contractual obligation to Atlantic - a tenth album.

I like to think of the different periods this way:

The Beginning Years - 1968-1969 (Getting to know each other as a band and individuals)

The Creative Years - 1970 - 1974 (When they would create so much on stage or on trips)

The Rock Star Years - 1975 - 1977 (The ultimate rock gods at the height of the industry)

The Rebirth - 1978 - 1979, or until Sept. 24, 1980. (Changed their look, sound and direction)

Just the way I have looked at their different stages.

:peace:

Three chapters:

Liftoff: Formation of the band, first three albums and accompanying tours and events.

Hammers of the Gods: LZIV through Physical Graffiti and accompanying tours and events.

Swan Song: Presence and ITTOD, accompanying tours, trials and tribulations, death of Bonzo/band.

Is someone writing a book?

:D

lol no :D I just like breaking down things into chapters. I would write a book but I'm such a huge procrastinator and honestly not a very good writer that it wouldn't be worth it. More than anything else I'm interested in how things change over time. I would love to write an autobiography because I like looking at my own life and breaking it down into chapters but why bother? I'm not famous or anything. Maybe I should just do it for me and never publish it.

Here's how I would break out the band's history:

FIRST PHASE: The band's formation until the release of the third album (until then they could do no wrong except for maybe using the blues too much)

SECOND PHASE: The release of the third album (SOME fans but most critics think the band had their creative peak with the second album; this one is "too weak." NOT MY OPINION!! Band feels some pressure)

THIRD PHASE: Release of fourth album until Plant's accident in 1975 (the band can tell the world to f--- off. The best weed. Cocaine. Women. Jets. Getting whatever they want)

FOURTH PHASE: Release of Presence through the crushing blow to Robert Plant of his son's sudden passing (lots of drug problems; back to hearing they've had their creative peak. Is the band gonna break up?)

FIFTH PHASE: The release of In Through The Out Door up until John Henry Bonham's death (now it all gets real, back to reality; we're creative musicians, not rockers. Being a rock star really isn't the most important thing in life)

... or something like that.

I see it in two parts: The Rise and the Fall of Led Zeppelin.

The Rise: 1968 - 1975

From the moment they formed right through to the release of Physical Graffiti and the Earls Court shows.

The Fall: 1975 - 1980

The bad luck starts to set in with Robert Plant's car crash in August of 1975. The decline of Zeppelin continues with increasing drug addiction and violence surrounding the band until John Bonham's death which brings Zeppelin to an end.

Archived