Waves, epic waves...

Hotplant

Some of the biggest waves in decades have appeared in time for several surfing contests.

Check it out. Several awesome videos on youtube and some live stream tommorrow for the event, which was postponed due to the manic surf.

NY Times article

In a rush now, but just check out the videos at youtube, under "Waimea Bay Big Wave Surfing" and watch them full screen. Amazing videos! :bravo:

I'll try to post some when I have more time.

Gotta run.

Some of the biggest waves in decades have appeared in time for several surfing contests.

Check it out. Several awesome videos on youtube and some live stream tommorrow for the event, which was postponed due to the manic surf.

NY Times article

In a rush now, but just check out the videos at youtube, under "Waimea Bay Big Wave Surfing" and watch them full screen. Amazing videos! :bravo:

I'll try to post some when I have more time.

Gotta run.

I'm not a surfing guru but I love going to the beach and the power of these big waves are memorizing! B)

"Cortes Bank" looks like a real belly buster!!!

http://www.extremehorizon.com/surf-shop/big_waves.html

This is what those cats live for. Alittle too big for me, but I personally like to grab a pair of fins and body surf waves 8-12ft when the current is raging and every take off is a pile driver waiting to split you into the beach.

The biggest surf I've ever charged was 15ft during Hurricane Floyd and the ocean was very angry that day. I broke 2 boards, sliced my left calf on my skeg, but managed some incredible rides in about 2 feet of churning water.

S-Turns in the Outer Banks was also a wild day. 10ft peaks from a Nor'Easter ripping. I remember paddling out with my old man's 8ft gun and just hoped I didn't break the damn thing in half. It was too out of control and breaking in about a foot of water for me to get anything. For those of you, the spot "S-Turns" breaks on the beach near the towns of Rodanthe and Waves. That flick, "Nights in Rodanthe" starring Richard Gere and Diane Lane was filmed in a house that literally sat on the breaking ocean at S-Turns. It's a Victorian on pilings and is awaiting her fate with Miss Atlantic.

The waves are usually the last thing on my mind on big days like this. Between fighting the current and wondering what keeps bumping into your legs from below, it can be quite a daunting adventure to say the least.

I've been to Wiamea. When I was a teenager in 1969, and in reading the article it references that these waves will rival the waves of that year. Pretty cool. I spent a month in Hawaii in Oct. 1969 and visited Wiamea on the North Shore. Not a surfer so I didn't go out on a board , or I might of killed myself, but was on the beach and when the huge waves came in it would wash you in which seemed like hundreds of feet. As the wave returned into the sea, if you didn't dig into the sand real good you could get washed out to sea. If I remember correctly, the lifeguards did have to fish two or three people out of the ocean that day. I was alot of fun and something I remember quite vividly.

My one and only surfing experience was on the same trip at the bunny waves in Wikiki. I remember feeling real good that I got up on the board, and then I fell and the board popped straight up and came down smack dap on my head. I was lucky it did not knock me out and drowned. That was enough of that. Body surfing was what I stuck to after that.

http://livesurfcamhawaii.com/oahu/pipeline.htm :D

2z6yrv7.jpg

14nlehj.jpg

xq9g20.jpg

iveq9s.jpg

200urmq.jpg:wub:;) what a nice rump!

1zf4fao.jpg

Showing great waves today, live on "triplecrownofsurfing.com"

And on that site Eddie Would Be There, are some freaky "sick" videos under "heat" one of them has Kelly Slater... :veryhot: riding a giant wave standing there like he was just shootin' the breeze with the photogs.

Some reason, can't get the youtubes to come up here, but some are so cool.

K, I'm off to try to watch this... :wave:

It's not the largest wave ever ridin', but it's about the gnarliest as far as sheer power I've ever seen.

Laird Hamilton at Tahoopuu Tahiti.

Also in the same documentary, Riding Giants, there's extensive footage of Jaws on Maui of incredibly large surf.

51HTK5N1GVL._SS500_.jpg

Laird is the modern day "Greek God." He is built like Hercules and charges waves with more balls than anyone else other than maybe Gerry.

I have friends who've surfed Teahupo'o and its probably the scariest monster out there (other than Mavericks). Not only does it break in less than 3 feet of water, but its under a bed of coral which ups the anty considerably.

Laird is the modern day "Greek God." He is built like Hercules and charges waves with more balls than anyone else other than maybe Gerry.

I have friends who've surfed Teahupo'o and its probably the scariest monster out there (other than Mavericks). Not only does it break in less than 3 feet of water, but its under a bed of coral which ups the anty considerably.

I'm in COMPLETE agreement.

The added scarey element to Mavericks is the blackness of the wave and the frigid water temps. And the fact that's it's a half mile offshore.

You wouldn't fine me out there! This is more my style! :lol:

paddle.jpg

I'm in COMPLETE agreement.

The added scarey element to Mavericks is the blackness of the wave and the frigid water temps. And the fact that's it's a half mile offshore.

And its in white shark heaven. We once had a bull swim under us while out in the line up. I never knew my balls could shrink that fast.

And its in white shark heaven. We once had a bull swim under us while out in the line up. I never knew my balls could shrink that fast.

For goodness shark's alive, I forgot about that part!

You've surf Mavericks? Wow, my hat's off to you. Did you meet Jeff Clark? :D

I drove by there years ago on a West Coast cruize and only got to half moon the bay. My pants got stuck. <_<

For goodness shark's alive, I forgot about that part!

You've surf Mavericks? Wow, my hat's off to you. Did you meet Jeff Clark? :D

I drove by there years ago on a West Coast cruize and only got to half moon the bay. My pants got stuck. <_<

I realize my post is misleading. Unfortunately, I have not surfed Mavericks. I've never been to the West Coast.

Maybe there are some exception's but, from what I've read getting severely bitten by a shark is usually an accident on the shark's part. They are prone to hunt thing's on a particular basis and they will at least taste about anything in the water. Until they get into there feeding frenzy they are scoping out there regular meal's.

Archived