Physical Geography

McSeven

I was talking with a friend about music. He said that Led Zeppelins music came about because of where they grew up. He said they sound where they came from in England. Basically he said they grew up around industrial area basically a tough working class background. So Zep has that tough sound. The same can be said of of the members of Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

So I wonder what you all think. If Zep grew up rich and in posh circumstances, would they sound lightweight. I have to say as a canadian black male of age 38. When I first discovered Zeppelin. I really conected to their music. I come from a working class background. I find that most of the music I like has a tough vibe in sound quality.

I relate way more to Zeppelin than say Duran Duran.

Anyways do you think there is any truth to Zeps growing up in more of an industrial geography that helped them form their sound, which is working mans blues based sound scape?

Jimmy Page lived in the West End of London when he was a child. I would not call that a tough working class background, more of a genteel one maybe.

Maybe the aura of toughness resulted from the time. World War II had a profound impact on people during the 1940s, the decade during which the band members were born. Their manager, Peter Grant was evacuated during the war when he was a child.

John Paul Jones was in boarding school while his parents worked as musicians and toured, and later studied music in college. True he was from the South East, but not really disadvantaged.

I guess that Birmingham had some limited opportunities in the factories, and parts of the city are probably tough, but the outlying suburban or rural areas, bleak though they may seem at times, provided some nurturing I guess.

Jimmy Page lived in the West End of London when he was a child. I would not call that a tough working class background, more of a genteel one maybe.

Just to clarify a bit here. Page lived in the West London suburb of Heston. That's not the same as the 'West End'. The West End is the glamour hub of central London, where much of the plays and events take place. West London (Heston) is miles further out towards Heathrow airport and is a completely different area. Sorry to be finicky. :)

Page also grew up in the Epsom area in Surrey. I lived very close to that area (next town over, Cheam)so I can imagine in the 1950s and 1960s the Epsom area was even more suburban and relaxed than it is now. It's still a nice place today. I definitely wouldn't call Epsom rough or tough.

John Paul Jones was from the Sidcup, Kent area and that's not a rough or tough area either but as you said he was sent to boarding school so I don't how how that affected his personality. He always comes across and polite and serene so it can't have been too tough on him.

As for Plant and Bonham, not being personally familiar with the area they grew up I can't really add much. But for sure I agree with you that Jimmy Page didn't grow up in a rough and tough area. He had a very middle class suburban upbringing. :)

Bonzo was from a cow farming family in a rural part of England, Plant was from a poor family.

I don't know if Plant's mom and dad where truly in a state of hard core poverty but they where not from the city and not rich at all.

Bonzo's father had a good sized farm and had raised some prize winning animal's.

I guess the way that all the members of Zep grew up. They liked the blues. They wanted their musical product to be heavy and not light and pop.

Even Robert had said in an interview with Charlie Rose. That he was amazed that they got into the music that they got into. It was not what was on the radio and not available, except if they came off the boat in bulk records.

I figure that because all the members did not come from posh circumstances. They made music that they could relate to. Namley the Blues. I know that as a person that comes from a middle class background. I would not be putting out music like Justin Timberlake or soft pop. The reason is I can't relate to it.

I need my Music to sound action orientated. Raw if I look at the artists that I listen to. Most of them are blues/acoustic orientated. What I listen to music it has to hit my soul. So most of the music I listen to are basically 1967-1977 Rock/Soul/Funk/Jazz.

I guess the way that all the members of Zep grew up. They liked the blues. They wanted their musical product to be heavy and not light and pop.

Even Robert had said in an interview with Charlie Rose. That he was amazed that they got into the music that they got into. It was not what was on the radio and not available, except if they came off the boat in bulk records.

I figure that because all the members did not come from posh circumstances. They made music that they could relate to. Namley the Blues. I know that as a person that comes from a middle class background. I would not be putting out music like Justin Timberlake or soft pop. The reason is I can't relate to it.

I need my Music to sound action orientated. Raw if I look at the artists that I listen to. Most of them are blues/acoustic orientated. What I listen to music it has to hit my soul. So most of the music I listen to are basically 1967-1977 Rock/Soul/Funk/Jazz.

Not that I'm a big fan of Justin Timberlake but I know people of all class levels that listen to that sort of music. It's a bit of stereotyping IMO. I think we listen to what appeals to our ears for a number of reasons and it's not defined by where we grew up.

Not that I'm a big fan of Justin Timberlake but I know people of all class levels that listen to that sort of music. It's a bit of stereotyping IMO. I think we listen to what appeals to our ears for a number of reasons and it's not defined by where we grew up.

Agreed.

As a chinese girl who grew up in the country, used to learn to play chinese traditional music and studies german literature, I have to wonder myself HOW can I ever relate to Led Zeppelin's music? ;)

oh, edit to add I don't really agree that Robert Plant was from a poor family. B)

Agreed.

As a chinese girl who grew up in the country, used to learn to play chinese traditional music and studies german literature, I have to wonder myself HOW can I ever relate to Led Zeppelin's music? ;)

oh, edit to add I don't really agree that Robert Plant was from a poor family. B)

To each there own. I just think that people like Paris Hilton would not listen to Zep, because they can't relate to it. I just think of how you grew up, really does influence you from how you dress to what music you like. Zep are not Pop music. They are hard rock.

The rhythm and blues music that they liked came to England as a result of the trade in consumer goods from America during World War II.

Rhythm and blues from America had a passion, depth, complexity and groove that contrasted sharply with the light pop that could be bland at times.

To each there own. I just think that people like Paris Hilton would not listen to Zep, because they can't relate to it. I just think of how you grew up, really does influence you from how you dress to what music you like. Zep are not Pop music. They are hard rock.

Yes, to each their own. It may be your case, but not mine. And it's hard to say if it fits the Zeppelin members.

And, aren't there rumors that Paris Hilton was at the O2 show? :o

Actually I think it was really only Plant firstly and Page secondly who were very heavily into the blues. Bonzo prefered 'the sweet soul music' and Jonesy was also into classical and jazz. Plant and Page were also heavily into rock and roll and were big Elvis fans. Both also loved old folk stuff.

The reason why Zeppelin had such a diverse musical spectrum was because they didn't all listen to the same stuff. They all had different tastes in music. It wasn't all just blues. Some of Zeppelin's stuff is light and happy.

Actually I think it was really only Plant firstly and Page secondly who were very heavily into the blues. Bonzo prefered 'the sweet soul music' and Jonesy was also into classical and jazz. Plant and Page were also heavily into rock and roll and were big Elvis fans. Both also loved old folk stuff.

The reason why Zeppelin had such a diverse musical spectrum was because they didn't all listen to the same stuff. They all had different tastes in music. It wasn't all just blues. Some of Zeppelin's stuff is light and happy.

Good shout Mangani, I too belive that the diversity between the band members taste in music contributed to the fantastic range of different styles and influences that appear in the studio albums.

Being a motorcycle courier in London for some years, I know the areas where they all grew up.

Heston incidently was bombed in WWII as was Birmingham, I'm not sure if this had any effect or not, Sidcup was near one of the major airbases during the war too. It's likely that Bonzo's family were farmers in the war though.

I would consider all these places pretty middle class, except the Birmingham which is erm well drab.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me. I grew up in an area with some pretty well-off people and their kids listened to Zep, Floyd etc. As I said earlier, you listen to what appeals to you and if you take a look at the people who participate on this forum, they're from all corners of the world and I would imagine all levels of economic status. Music is universal and not limited to class/geography etc.

Good shout Mangani, I too belive that the diversity between the band members taste in music contributed to the fantastic range of different styles and influences that appear in the studio albums.

Being a motorcycle courier in London for some years, I know the areas where they all grew up.

Heston incidently was bombed in WWII as was Birmingham, I'm not sure if this had any effect or not, Sidcup was near one of the major airbases during the war too. It's likely that Bonzo's family were farmers in the war though.

I would consider all these places pretty middle class, except the Birmingham which is erm well drab.

I remember reading somewhere that Britain may have once had a Mediterranean climate, perhaps during the period of Roman occupation.

On the other hand, apparently there is a record of a cool climate in Britain from that time.

Although being born an Englishman automatically qualifies one as an honorary meteorologist - we tend as a nation to greet our friends, neighbours and indeed, complete strangers, with our opinions of the current weather situation - no modern English weather-man has summed up the British climate in a single sentence better than the Roman historian Cornelius Tacitus, who in AD94 wrote:

"The sky is overcast with continual rain and cloud, but the cold is not severe."

(Tacitus, Agricola, 12.3.)

roman-britain.org/weather/weather

About AD 400, there was a shift to wetter, colder weather in Britain, a deterioration that intensified after AD 450. By the late Roman period, there may have been as much as a 10% increase in rainfall.

penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/britannia/saxonadvent/climate.html

In his Gallic Wars, Julius Caesar describes Britain [5:12-14]:

The climate is more temperate than in Gaul, the colds being less severe.

faculty.arts.ubc.ca/sechard/344rome

The winelands of the world occur between the 10-20 degree C. annual isotherms. Between these limits the interplay of geology and climate controls the landscape within a vineyard stands, and the soil in which it grows. The 'Winelands of Britain' shows how the interplay of geology and climate forms important winelands such as the Pleistocene terrace gravels of the Thames and other rivers, the sunny southern slopes and dry valleys of the chalk Downs, , and the Palaeozoic rocky rivieras of Wales and the West Country.

winelandsofbritain.co.uk/book.htm

Agreed.

Quite sure I read that they where not to well off in Wiki a while back but, it is Wiki and that site will and has changed from time to time. Now it only state's that he was born in West Bromwich and grew up in Halesowen.

Like I said, I don't know for sure of the family's exact income as I don't know him personally but, that was what I read a while back.

I don't think that any of their family's income would determine how they would do music as adult's, it's more like the effect of how they where exposed to the sound's from their early teen's and so.

John Paul Jones was raised in a musical home as both his mom and dad where professional jazz and big band writer/performer. You have to agree that the sound's of the late 1960's has a big jazz influence to it so I think that his folk's where the whole show for him. B)

Archived