Backing vocals on "Gallows Pole"

sailor86

[Thanks. They're pretty well in unison. I'm impressed. I wouldn't figure any of them to have any vocal ability at all. I assume that's the case for the outro to "Communication Breakdown" as well. By the way, how'd you come across your information?

A traditional song which stems from Lead Belly. I first found it by Fred Gerlac. He was one of the first white people on Folkways records to get involved in Lead Belly. We have completely rearranged it and changed the verse. Robert wrote a set of new lyrics. That's John Paul on mandolin and bass and I'm playing the banjo, six-string acoustic, 12-string and electric guitar. The bloke swinging on the gallows pole is saying wait for his relatives to arrive. The drumming builds nicely. - Jimmy Page

Does anyone know who does the backing vocals near the end of "Gallows Pole". I don't know why, but I envision John Bonham's face with the voice(s). Perhaps it was all three without Robert.

I think Bonham did back up the vocals on it. I'm not 100% though. Gallows pole was one of the first songs I learned fully on guitar. That was when I was 8 years old and it still is one of my favourite songs.

Na Na Nana...Naaaaa.... Na Na, Na Na See saw______ (Can anyone fill in the blank?) B)

Marjorie Daw... as in the children's rhyme See Saw Marjorie Daw

See saw Margerie Daw

Johnny shall have a new master

He shall earn but a penny a day

Because he can't work any faster

When it's repeated, Robert improvises and says "knock at my door"

Marjorie Daw... as in the children's rhyme See Saw Marjorie Daw

See saw Margerie Daw

Johnny shall have a new master

He shall earn but a penny a day

Because he can't work any faster

When it's repeated, Robert improvises and says "knock at my door"