No Quarter TSRTS Questions

SickTangerine

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asnwered already, I searched around for a related topic but couldn't find one.

Anywa, I'm very curious. IS there something wrong with the No Quarter guitar solo on SRTS? I always hear ill-speak of it and I've always wondered why.

I'm sure it's a simple answer

-Braeden

I would say what most people are referring to is the fact that the solo in the film differs from the (original) soundtrack that was released in 1976. I don't really know why Jimmy did this, it makes the transition from the slower part with Bonzo and Jonesy jamming to the solo itself sound really disjointed. It's a pretty terrible cut IMHO. Not to mention he cut one of the best parts of the solo!

Anyway, hope that answered your question. :)

I would say what most people are referring to is the fact that the solo in the film differs from the (original) soundtrack that was released in 1976. I don't really know why Jimmy did this, it makes the transition from the slower part with Bonzo and Jonesy jamming to the solo itself sound really disjointed. It's a pretty terrible cut IMHO. Not to mention he cut one of the best parts of the solo!

Anyway, hope that answered your question. :)

Ah thank you! It did help :)

I had heard something about the entire solo isn't actually from the performance, but rather it was all recorded in studio or something :blink:

Yep...all relevant info on the different edits, etc can be found here:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html

Why Page found it necessary to fiddle with the track after the fact for the reissue I have no idea- if anything he should have included the entire song unedited! So what if it doesn't correspond with the film exactly? It didn't on the 1976 album, either. The fact that it's also IMO one of Jimmy's best solos period shows that it should be heard in its entirety officially.

Yep...all relevant info on the different edits, etc can be found here:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html

Why Page found it necessary to fiddle with the track after the fact for the reissue I have no idea- if anything he should have included the entire song unedited! So what if it doesn't correspond with the film exactly? It didn't on the 1976 album, either. The fact that it's also IMO one of Jimmy's best solos period shows that it should be heard in its entirety officially.

Yeah I was on the garden tapes, what intruiged me to post was under No Quarter in SRTS it mentions "The umentionable" happening at 5:50 or something.

Yeah I was on the garden tapes, what intruiged me to post was under No Quarter in SRTS it mentions "The umentionable" happening at 5:50 or something.

i suspect the "unmentionable" refers to the missing segment of the intro to jimmy's solo which was on the original relase of the soundtrack but left off the new release. IMHO an absoultely awful omission. however thats all been discussed on threads nearer that time

i suspect the "unmentionable" refers to the missing segment of the intro to jimmy's solo which was on the original relase of the soundtrack but left off the new release. IMHO an absoultely awful omission. however thats all been discussed on threads nearer that time

Ah thank you!

Even without this intro, it's still one of the best damn solos I've ever heard from Page.

I found a bootleg titled TSRTS Complete or something. Its the new remastered one with the original patched in where needed.

I think the remastered NQ Is like 10 mins and some odd seconds, the original is 12-13, and the Garden Tapes is probably even lil longer. (I cant look them up right now as im at work so im going by memory)

Ah thank you!

Even without this intro, it's still one of the best damn solos I've ever heard from Page.

yes it is and it's because it's such a great solo that we hoped to get the full version of it and what we actually got was a shorthened version, with a different inferior ending. bummer

however, whats done is done. i wasnt aware there was bootleg combining the two versions. i'll have to look for that

Archived