Led Zeppelin at Live Aid

poortom

^ Yes it was! :)

Plus....

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young reunion and also did separate sets

The Who rocked out and were zapped by the helicopter above

Elton John

Etc, etc, etc

I have the DVD that was released a few years ago and my unlistenable tapes. Good thing there is YouTube! :thumbsup:

It's easy to say that U2 came out the winner, because people say that with hindsight, but I watched the entire gig as well when it was on the television, I didn't think much of the U2 show at all and the song "Bad" which I like basically put the crowd to sleep. I saw them in Ottawa I believe around 1985 or 1986 and it wasn't a really big deal to be honest nor was there a lot of excitement around the gig. U2 didn't really become something until around 1988. There were plenty of bands right up until 1990 that were bigger and pulling in bigger crowds.

I love U2 by the way, but the whole U2 thing was driven by Rolling Stone Magazine and New York/Boston press, and the band had a ton of record label support insisting its songs be played in high rotation. Bono did have a great mullet though which has sort of been erased from history...

I agree. I think also that similar to REM, U2 became a staple of colleges and college radio. That whole Irish thing and the anthemic songs became battle cries for the Northeast's many young Irish-Americans. I too love U2, but I'm not afraid to admit that they would struggle without all that technology.

I should mention the Tears for Fears set that day. Up until then I liked their songs but never thought much of them TBH, catchy tunes with a Beatlesque theme mashed with 80's production and synths. However their set at Live Aid was one of the best yet is rarely talked about. I became a big Tears for Fears fan that day, their live set was pretty stunning.

I should mention the Tears for Fears set that day. Up until then I liked their songs but never thought much of them TBH, catchy tunes with a Beatlesque theme mashed with 80's production and synths. However their set at Live Aid was one of the best yet is rarely talked about. I became a big Tears for Fears fan that day, their live set was pretty stunning.

Tears for Fears, have the first 2 albums, always liked them as well

Malc S said:

I seem to recall that Tears For Fears turned down a request to play Live Aid :eek: - anyone else remember hearing that?

Tears For Fears were actually scheduled to play at Live Aid. Their picture was even in the souvenir program. What happened was, some members of their touring band abruptly quit, and they were forced to cancel at the last minute. I know we were looking forward to their appearance, and were disappointed when it was announced that they wouldn't be there.

Malc S said:

I seem to recall that Tears For Fears turned down a request to play Live Aid :eek: - anyone else remember hearing that?

Tears For Fears were actually scheduled to play at Live Aid. Their picture was even in the souvenir program. What happened was, some members of their touring band abruptly quit, and they were forced to cancel at the last minute. I know we were looking forward to their appearance, and were disappointed when it was announced that they wouldn't be there.

Oh shit...I wonder where I remember that performance from? I thought it was Live Aid but you are correct, they pulled out like a catholic on his wedding night.

Archived