what does anyone know about "Going to San Francisco"? (Proto-Achilles Last Stand)

zeppelincheetah

The song was originally recorded by Scott McKenzie in 1967. Zeppelin started to play it in late 1972/early 1973 and continued to do so untill the American part of the 1975 tour. It was then replaced by a song called Woodstock by Joni Mitchell and was only played (or sung to be a bit more precise) once in a while, like for example at some of the concerts at Earls Court.

The song was originally recorded by Scott McKenzie in 1967. Zeppelin started to play it in late 1972/early 1973 and continued to do so untill the American part of the 1975 tour. It was then replaced by a song called Woodstock by Joni Mitchell and was only played (or sung to be a bit more precise) once in a while, like for example at some of the concerts at Earls Court.

Is the girl throwing the flowers out of the picture frame Cher?

Looks like Scott has a handful of Janis' boob :D

thanks for clearing that up.

all those damn hippies look alike to me :D

Although it doesn't really bear thinking about, they were an Item, apparently :blink:

Scott didn't look like a hippy - not at the time, anyway. He was probably a plastic bandwagon-jumper, though I stand to be corrected.

Although it doesn't really bear thinking about, they were an Item, apparently :blink:

Scott didn't look like a hippy - not at the time, anyway. He was probably a plastic bandwagon-jumper, though I stand to be corrected.

Yea, maybe

he's a fat old man now :D

i love the sanfransisco segment of D & C and also the woodstock insertion at earls court. it's one of my favourite pieces of zeppelin music ever, jimmy's ethereal playing and the whole vibe of the piece.

it was only about 10 years ago that i recognised the relation of it to achilles last stand. i was learning to play ALS at slow speed and realised it shared the main refrain

i love the sanfransisco segment of D & C and also the woodstock insertion at earls court. it's one of my favourite pieces of zeppelin music ever, jimmy's ethereal playing and the whole vibe of the piece.

it was only about 10 years ago that i recognised the relation of it to achilles last stand. i was learning to play ALS at slow speed and realised it shared the main refrain

I've never noticed that before, and I'm not sure I agree totally. I can't really see the similarity to the 'main refrain', but the notes are the same as the 'staccato' interludes in ALS.

Does anyone know wheter Jimmy consciously used this as the basis of ALS?

EDIT: No, I see what you mean now - I thought you meant the verse tune. But you mean the ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah, woo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo part, don't you? Duh!

the main riff of achilles doesnt feature in san fransisco but one of the main parts of san fran does feature in achilles, behind planty's ahhh ahhhing sections before the "where the mighty arms of atlas..." section

whether achilles consciously based one section around the san fransisco refrain i dont know, but they are the same

the main riff of achilles doesnt feature in san fransisco but one of the main parts of san fran does feature in achilles, behind planty's ahhh ahhhing sections before the "where the mighty arms of atlas..." section

whether achilles consciously based one section around the san fransisco refrain i dont know, but they are the same

Well put, jsj.

Man, that song's a bitch to play. But when I learned it, I felt about two miles tall. I thought about giving Robert a call to see if I could be in his band. Now I hear he won't play it anyway, because he says it's 'Heavy Metal'. So that was a waste of time for me.

This has made me think about all the other cool improv riffs in D&C. Like when Jimmy does that 'Foxy Lady' part, with the funky bits inbetween. And that's just the TSRTS version. I know there's a 45 minute version from LA in 75. David Coverdale should check that out - he could probably milk a whole Whitesnake album out of it. A double, even :D

fuck what plant sings, i'm talking about the music

Archived