Rush: Time Machine Tour at Susquehanna Bank Arena in Camden, NJ 7/21/10

Wolfman

I celebrated my birthday a few days late by going to see one of my favorite bands, Rush, on their Time Machine Tour where they played one of their best albums, Moving Pictures, beginning to end. After seeing that documentary a few weeks ago, I was determined to see this show. I bought my tix late last night and got some good ones about 20 rows from the stage.

The show started with a hilarious video where all the members of Rush were dressed up as different characters. They launched into The Spirit of Radio and took off from there. They played several songs including Subdivisions which was the one Rush song I never heard them do live before. On a side note, I never noticed that Rush uses samples on certain songs (like Aimee Mann's voice on ). Also, I can't believe I never noticed Alex's Les Pauls have built in whammy bars. Pretty cool.

They then took a 20 minute break which was fine with me since it was so damn hot. The videos during Moving Pictures were incredible. They all featured the guys wearing red suits on the cover of the album. They also played a new song called Caravan that had mechanical zeppelin's flying around in the video. During Neil's drum solo, he made his cymbals sound like horns and did a tribute to Buddy Rich. Very cool visuals tonight.

Rush sounded great and the band was really one. They also improvised by adding licks of other songs into their own (Summertime Blues, etc. ) and changed the beginning of Working Man into a reggae song. Fantastic and fun show with one of rock's greatest bands. Btw, if you see them this tour, DO NOT LEAVE as soon as the show ends. A few minutes afterwards, a ten minute video comes one that features the characters from the movie I Love You Man. Very funny stuff!!

Here's the setlist:

1. The Spirit Of Radio
  2. Time Stand Still
  3. Presto
  4. Stick It Out
  5. Workin' Them Angels
  6. Leave That Thing Alone
  7. Faithless
  8. BU2B
  9. Freewill
  10. Marathon
  11. Subdivisions
  12. Tom Sawyer
  13. Red Barchetta
  14. YYZ
  15. Limelight
  16. The Camera Eye
  17. Witch Hunt
  18. Vital Signs
  19. Caravan
  20. Drum Solo
  21. Closer To The Heart
  22. 2112 Part I: Overture
  23. 2112 Part II: The Temples Of Syrinx
  24. Far Cry
  25. La Villa Strangiato (Encore)
  26. Working Man (Encore)

Sounds like an awesome show. I had hoped to make it but the four letter word called

work got in the way.

Awesome to hear about the zeppelins flying above. Van Halen did that when I saw them in late 2007.

It is just amazing the sound that comes from the three of them. Definitely a power trio.

Just out of curiosity -- 20th row last minute. did ticketmaster have some cancels or did you have to go through a broker?

I also see they're coming back in the fall. i really hope to catch them then.

Sounds like an awesome show. I had hoped to make it but the four letter word called

work got in the way.

Awesome to hear about the zeppelins flying above. Van Halen did that when I saw them in late 2007.

It is just amazing the sound that comes from the three of them. Definitely a power trio.

Just out of curiosity -- 20th row last minute. did ticketmaster have some cancels or did you have to go through a broker?

I also see they're coming back in the fall. i really hope to catch them then.

Ticketmaster. I've learned that if you wait till the day before a show or the day of it, there always seems to be some nice seats that suddenly become available. I did the same thing with KISS at MSG last October. I still prefer to buy seats the second they go on sale so I can get as close as possible.

I celebrated my birthday a few days late by going to see one of my favorite bands, Rush, on their Time Machine Tour where they played one of their best albums, Moving Pictures, beginning to end. After seeing that documentary a few weeks ago, I was determined to see this show. I bought my tix late last night and got some good ones about 20 rows from the stage.

The show started with a hilarious video where all the members of Rush were dressed up as different characters. They launched into The Spirit of Radio and took off from there. They played several songs including Subdivisions which was the one Rush song I never heard them do live before. On a side note, I never noticed that Rush uses samples on certain songs (like Aimee Mann's voice on ). Also, I can't believe I never noticed Alex's Les Pauls have built in whammy bars. Pretty cool.

They then took a 20 minute break which was fine with me since it was so damn hot. The videos during Moving Pictures were incredible. They all featured the guys wearing red suits on the cover of the album. They also played a new song called Caravan that had mechanical zeppelin's flying around in the video. During Neil's drum solo, he made his cymbals sound like horns and did a tribute to Buddy Rich. Very cool visuals tonight.

Rush sounded great and the band was really one. They also improvised by adding licks of other songs into their own (Summertime Blues, etc. ) and changed the beginning of Working Man into a reggae song. Fantastic and fun show with one of rock's greatest bands. Btw, if you see them this tour, DO NOT LEAVE as soon as the show ends. A few minutes afterwards, a ten minute video comes one that features the characters from the movie I Love You Man. Very funny stuff!!

Here's the setlist:

1. The Spirit Of Radio
  2. Time Stand Still
  3. Presto
  4. Stick It Out
  5. Workin' Them Angels
  6. Leave That Thing Alone
  7. Faithless
  8. BU2B
  9. Freewill
  10. Marathon
  11. Subdivisions
  12. Tom Sawyer
  13. Red Barchetta
  14. YYZ
  15. Limelight
  16. The Camera Eye
  17. Witch Hunt
  18. Vital Signs
  19. Caravan
  20. Drum Solo
  21. Closer To The Heart
  22. 2112 Part I: Overture
  23. 2112 Part II: The Temples Of Syrinx
  24. Far Cry
  25. La Villa Strangiato (Encore)
  26. Working Man (Encore)

Awesome!! I have my tickets to see them in Houston, September 25th. Can't wait!!!! Thanks for the setlist!

Here's a couple photos from Saratoga Performing Arts Center where Rush played on Friday July 23rd. Instead of starting another thread I thought I'd post them here. Set list was very comparable to the one listed above.

Listening to and watching them play the Moving Pictures LP from start to finish was something else........the night was rainy and pretty miserable but.....it didn't matter a bit.

post-1187-128006476974_thumb.jpg

post-1187-128006482595_thumb.jpg

post-1187-128006485845_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Rush concert that I attended on Sunday was awesome!

The music was superb and the special effects and light show were amazing. They played for about 3.5 hours with about a 20 minute intermission. The set list was pretty much the same as the one that Wolfman posted. They started the second set with all of the "Moving Pictures" album. The crowd really got into it then. They played a cute video at the beginning of the concert where the band members portrayed characters, Geddy was a sausage grinder, Alex was an inventor, and Neil was an Irish cop. It was really cute. They also played a video clip at the end that was cute, too, probably to keep the crowd in the arena until the band could make their escape from the venue, lol.

Highlights for me were the reggae "Working Man", their final song. Alex really shredded in that one. He is one great guitarist. I also liked "2112" and all of the songs from "Moving Pictures". "Closer to the Heart" was great, also, I love that song! I thought that the venue's acoustics were not too great on my favorite song of theirs, "Subdivisions". Alot of echoing on it. That was a bit disappointing.

They were going to record the Columbus show for a video, but Neil had an ear problem and had to wear earphones. They didn't want that on the video, so they are going to record a future show. The concert was sold out for months, but due to the fact that they didn't need as much space for the cameras since they were not videoing, they moved the stage back and opened up some more seats at the last minute.

Here are a few of my pictures from the show. The first one is of Geddy as the sausage grinder in the opening video. Very funny!

August2010006.jpg

August2010015.jpg

August2010027.jpg

August2010059.jpg

I highly recommend this concert so if you get the opportunity to see their Time Machine Tour, don't pass it up. You will really get your money's worth from this show!

Here is a really good video that someone made that summarizes the show:

And here is a video of the opening video.

Edited to say: My son just told me that the guys in the final video clip were Paul Rudd and Jason Segal from the movie "I Love You, Man". They portrayed fans who had gotten backstage and into the band's dressing room after the concert. The band came in and found them there, there was alot of banter, and in the end Geddy gave one a guitar that was autographed by the band. I haven't see their movie, but I guess they portrayed Rush fans in it, and the band appeared in cameo roles in the movie. Rush has a great sense of humor, and alot of the videoclips during the concert had sublte bits of insider humor that avid Rush fans would get.

Review of the show

Excellent Interview with Alex Lifeson

In this interview, he was asked about the bad press that Rush received early on from Rolling Stone magazine, in comparison to what Led Zeppelin received.

Also interesting: Alex's favorite song to play in concert is "Limelight". But he says that he likes the sound of this song better on the studio recording than in concert.

Just as I noted, I liked the studio version of "Subdivisions" better than the live version. Some songs just sound better on the album and some sound better in concert, such as "2112".

Archived