Chicago 1-22-75

Strider

Knowing that Robert had the flu and Jimmy's finger was fucked up at the beginning of the 1975 tour, I have avoided getting

any of the January shows since I figured these opening shows of the tour would be ragged at best.

Montreal and New York MSG are the earliest 1975 shows I have had for years...until now, when I just picked up the January 22, 1975 Chicago show issued by EVSD under the title "Blues Brothers".

And I have to say, all matters of sound quality(it's far from Mike Millard quality) aside, the show has proven to be a revelation to me.

Maybe it is because of Jimmy's injury, but he seems really focused in this show, as if the injury has forced him to concentrate even more than normal. The solos in Sick Again, OTHAFA, NQ are all tight and clean...NQ comes in at an economical 13 minutes or so.

And how refreshing to get Wanton Song and HMMT instead of Dazed, which in 1975 sounded weary and bloated for the most part. I think the band made a huge error not keeping Wanton song in the setlist, as it adds a bit of pep to the evening. Jimmy does his D & C bow segment during HMMT, which is fine.

Now, if only they would have tried harder to keep When the Levee Breaks in the set, instead of wasting 30-40 minutes of the night slogging through D & C, they could have played Wanton Song, Levee, HMMT and maybe even Ten Years Gone in its place. Or how about the Rover? Dancing Days? The Ocean?

Anyway, I am really enjoying this Chicago show and want to hear from anyone who was at this show. Was Jimmy in any noticable pain from his finger? When I saw him at the LA Forum June 3, 1973, he kept soaking his hand in cold water to numb the pain; did he do something similar in 1975?

Did you mind getting Wanton Song and HMMT instead of D & C?

Now that I've heard how good they still were even with Robert and Jimmy's health issues, I'll be looking to score more January shows...Minneapolis, the other Chicago shows. When exactly did D & C replace HMMT in the setlist...was it the 2-6-75 MSG show?

Lastly, given the flood of 1975 soundboards that have surfaced recently, any chance we get some Chicago

soundboards?

Never thought Levee worked the way they were playing it in those early '75 shows. I would have dropped that and included some more things off of Physical Graffiti like Ten Years Gone as you mentioned. Dazed could have been trimmed down for sure! A soundboard of Chicago would be nice.

Levee was more of a 'studio' song I'd say, and all of its ethereal nuances are completely lost in the live versions I've heard. It just comes across as a lumpen thudder, which is a shame because it's definitely in my Top 5 Zep songs. I agree that Wanton worked very well live and should have been kept in the set. And why they never played The Rover will remain one of life's greatest mysteries.

The first documented Dazed and Confused for that tour that I know if is 02-03-75.

I like Dazed and Confused but I think certain sections could have been shortened a little. I also love How Many More Times but I dont think that song sounded as good after 71. Ive never been a fan of the Wanton song.

A pretty good case could be made for that January 22 show as being among the best of the first leg '75 shows. When the recording popped up a couple of years back it was a bit of a revelation. Plant's voice wasn't completely shot like it would be in Indianapolis, and they were still playing "The Wanton Song". :P I'll repeat my wish that they'd've kept "Wanton" and "How Many More Times" in for the duration. It's heresy, I know, but IMO sometimes the 45 minute "Dazed And Confused" gets a little tedious...I just think the January shows -with or without "Levee" (personally I could take it or leave it)- have a better flow to them. Some of the '75 shows feel like four hours.

I'd like to see the January 21 show pop up some day. At least some of it is out there...the January 20 boots all have the first part of "Rock And Roll" and "HMMT" from the 21st. Did they play "Levee" one last time?

• 2 years later...

I agree The Wanton Song should've stayed in the set - and that it would've been good to do more Physical Graffiti tracks as well.

While I'm not as down on '75 D&C as some others, I also agree that it would be far better for them to have used that 30-40 mins to play several other songs instead.

But to my ears, Levee was a lumbering train wreck. It's possible it would've gotten better with practice and with Robert's voice clearing up a bit. But we do have a small clue of what it might've sounded like, from the performance at the 1995 R&R Hall of Fame induction ceremony, and IMHO the basic groove sounds identical to 1975 - and it's dead boring compared to the studio version.

Archived