Praise & Blame

Paul McCluskey

Anyone heard the new Tom Jones album? A collection of Blues and Gospel covers from the likes of Bob Dylan, John Lee Hooker and Sister Rosetta. It's excellent, and I think it's the sort of album that Robert Plant would do.

The album has been controversial as the head of the record company to which Jones is signed sent an E-Mail to staff calling it a joke, proclaiming at one point, "I paid for a Mercedes and got a hearse".

My favourite tracks on the album are Lord Help, Strange Things, Burning Hell and Run On.

One of the best albums of 2010 yet.

Anyone heard the new Tom Jones album? A collection of Blues and Gospel covers from the likes of Bob Dylan, John Lee Hooker and Sister Rosetta. It's excellent, and I think it's the sort of album that Robert Plant would do.

The album has been controversial as the head of the record company to which Jones is signed sent an E-Mail to staff calling it a joke, proclaiming at one point, "I paid for a Mercedes and got a hearse".

My favourite tracks on the album are Lord Help, Strange Things, Burning Hell and Run On.

One of the best albums of 2010 yet.

He certainly has the voice to cover this type of material. I'll definitely give it a go

What a shame that the head of his record label doesn't get an artist wanting to explore other musical avenues :(

Agreed ! I'm going to buy it just out of spite :lol:

It's interesting that Tom started out in cabaret, and has ended up singing the blues.

Some people do the opposite, if you get my drift.

Also, it's a shame that the short-lived version of Black Sabbath with Tom on vocals never made it into the studio. That would've been amazing.

Archived