Bonham and Hendrix

McSeven

This month marks the death of Bonzo. I have been seeing articles on Bonham almost every week in September. It seems to me that no drummer in rock is revred as much as Bonzo.

Does anyone think that Bonzo on Percussioin was at the same level as Hendrix was to Guitar? If both Hendrix and Bonzo were both on top in Rock. Who would be the top Singer and Bassist?

It seems a bit like comparing apples to oranges and the definition of "rock" varies from person to person. Even so, I'll throw in my two cents. Generally speaking, Bonham was absolutely at the same level as Hendrix insofar as being among the best in the world at what they were doing at the time, and both were also massively influential on successive generations of performers. What I find most interesting about Hendrix is how far ahead of his time he really was. Best rock bassist and singer well again it depends on one's definition of best, and rock as well I suppose. I'll say John Entwistle and Elvis Presley but views will vary.

Some people would name Clapton after Hendrix I say Page is after Hendrix sorry for the Eric Clapton fans out there i respect his legacy and his artwork as an icon musician but i wasn't really interested in him. Shrug, maybe i should listen to him more often but i still think Page is after Hendrix as for drummers people would say Moon, Bonham, and Peart.

If people put Keith before John i accept it because Keith along with JB he is the innovator drummer if it weren't for him and Bonham rock n roll drummings would be s**t. As much i respect Keith Moon and he is my only favorite member of The Who i say JB is the king of rock drummers of all time in my world i say Neil Peart, Keith Moon, and John Bonham is like the three kings of drums. And don't get it twisted with this whole Buddy Rich thing yeah yeah yeah i know he's a powerful drummer but he's not a rock n roll drummer he could if he want to but he's a jazz drummer he doesn't count.

Singer world is Freddie Mercury no one couldn't reach his vocal abilty not even up to this day he had a gift from God and Mercury show it to the world.

As for bassist like i said before i'm not into the whole bass players world lol they are so underrated compare the singer, the drummer, and the lead guitarist although people always said John Entwistle from the Who, Geddy Lee from Rush, and Cliff Burton from Metallica. I think JPJ deserves to be one of the top best bassists he works his ass off through out the years he should never be overshadowed by his talent.

I think it's all about the alchemy between great players. Hendrix is the exception to the rule. Since his sound and voice were so unique (and dominant), I think he could have played with Bonzo of Moonie or Ginger Baker...and it still would have sounded stellar. But in most other constellations, I think the match of talents can be quite subtle. Pino Paladino is an outstanding bassist...one of the greatest. But frankly to me (and lots of other fans) he is a mismatch in the Who. Jimmy's pairing with Chris Squire and Alan White in the early eigthies had no potential whatsoever.

Speaking of Ginger Baker, in a recent interview he stated that neither Moonie or Bonzo were ever in the same league as he.

It is fair to say that both Bonzo and Moonie were really adding something new whereas Baker only adopted to what great Jazz drummers were doing for years. Max Roach or Elvin Jones both spring in mind.

This said, Bonzo tops the rock department

It's very difficult to compare Hendrix to a drummer, even a very popular one. The reason, Hendrix is as important for his innovation as his musicianship. He was not only the pivot point for changing how guitar was played but he changed the course of how rock music was recorded, was presented live and sounded etc. A valid arguament can be made Jimi is far and away the most important rock musician ever with or without guitar in hand.

Jaco and Bonham would've been an insane rhythm section.

Vocalists would depend on the type of music that came out of the music.

And the Hendrix Experience def had its share of jazz influences on all 3 albums as much as it did blues.

But you're talking about a group that would be more about power than finesse.

Archived