What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

Posted (edited)

One of my all time favorite guitar tones from Jimmy. I also really like the way Robert parallels him for a while towards the end of the sample below. I am still working on this show, but I have the rest of this song done. Send me a message for the link to the song.

Edited by SteveZ98

2 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

One of my all time favorite guitar tones from Jimmy. I also really like the way Robert parallels him for a while towards the end of the sample below. I am still working on this show, but I have the rest of this song done. Send me a message for the link to the song.

Brilliant show! The guitar tone is nasty! Also, sounds like another SteveZ98 masterpiece. Awesome! 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Hey Steve, if you don’t mind me asking, how long does cleaning, adjusting, and getting one song done take? It seems like it would be a meticulous process. I would imagine some are going to take longer of course. 

Thanks again, just amazing work!

Cheers, Steve

Edited by Plant77

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Hey Steve, if you don’t mind me asking, how long does cleaning, adjusting, and getting one song done take? It seems like it would be a meticulous process. I would imagine some are going to take longer of course. 

My typical joke is that each remaster takes ten years and two months. The ten years is how long it took me to learn to remaster and the two months is how long it takes me to do the work on a given show. In this case, I actually spent about ten years working on this show, on and off. It is one of my all time favorites and I always wanted to do a really good version of it. The problem was that the first part of the show already sounded good even without remastering it and the second part did not sound good and I couldn't improve it significantly no matter what I did. In the past year or so I've gotten a couple of new tools that let me make a noticeable improvement to the second half of the show. Once I realized I had a chance of doing something decent with that part of the show, I started working on it more regularly. The thing that's unusual about it is each song sounds bad in its own way so I have to do a lot more manual intervention on each one than I typically do. With the new tools that's relatively easy to do, but it's still time consuming. It's worth it, though, because they let me do things that were not even a technical possibility until recently. One of the new tools let me take the vocals from the audience recording of Communication Breakdown and combine them with the instruments from the soundboard because the original soundboard vocals were too quiet to fix.  

Also, I almost never work on a show from start to finish. I can get about 80% of the sound I'm looking for very quickly, but once I get to that point I may end up putting the show aside for a while to work on something else, then return to it later. At that point I'll get it where I'm 90% happy with it and then I'll put it down for a while before I try to do the last 10%. That last part takes a lot of time because not only am I tweaking the sound, I'm also judging each change to determine if it makes the performance more or less enjoyable. It takes a lot of time comparing what something sounds like before a change and what it sounds like after, mostly because the after part is at a different volume level than the before. And because humans naturally prefer louder sounds to softer ones, I have to match the volume levels to make a fair comparison of the impact on the sound and the performance. Because of all of this, I have a bunch of shows that are 80% or 90% done. It's frustrating that it takes so long for me to finish one of these things but I realized a long time ago that's just how I work so I've come to accept it. 

Edited by SteveZ98

Last US show. Oakland of 77. I know many don’t like this tour, but I’m a fan of it. I have most of the 77 shows. Whether all the shows were good or not, it’s always Zeppelin to me. And I don’t mind the long solos. I just wish I could have seen them at any point in time. I’ve seen Robert twice, JPJ 3 times and Jason 5 times. Never seen Jimmy sadly and missed the Page/Plant tours. 

On 5/18/2024 at 4:17 PM, SteveZ98 said:

My typical joke is that each remaster takes ten years and two months. The ten years is how long it took me to learn to remaster and the two months is how long it takes me to do the work on a given show. In this case, I actually spent about ten years working on this show, on and off. It is one of my all time favorites and I always wanted to do a really good version of it. The problem was that the first part of the show already sounded good even without remastering it and the second part did not sound good and I couldn't improve it significantly no matter what I did. In the past year or so I've gotten a couple of new tools that let me make a noticeable improvement to the second half of the show. Once I realized I had a chance of doing something decent with that part of the show, I started working on it more regularly. The thing that's unusual about it is each song sounds bad in its own way so I have to do a lot more manual intervention on each one than I typically do. With the new tools that's relatively easy to do, but it's still time consuming. It's worth it, though, because they let me do things that were not even a technical possibility until recently. One of the new tools let me take the vocals from the audience recording of Communication Breakdown and combine them with the instruments from the soundboard because the original soundboard vocals were too quiet to fix.  

Also, I almost never work on a show from start to finish. I can get about 80% of the sound I'm looking for very quickly, but once I get to that point I may end up putting the show aside for a while to work on something else, then return to it later. At that point I'll get it where I'm 90% happy with it and then I'll put it down for a while before I try to do the last 10%. That last part takes a lot of time because not only am I tweaking the sound, I'm also judging each change to determine if it makes the performance more or less enjoyable. It takes a lot of time comparing what something sounds like before a change and what it sounds like after, mostly because the after part is at a different volume level than the before. And because humans naturally prefer louder sounds to softer ones, I have to match the volume levels to make a fair comparison of the impact on the sound and the performance. Because of all of this, I have a bunch of shows that are 80% or 90% done. It's frustrating that it takes so long for me to finish one of these things but I realized a long time ago that's just how I work so I've come to accept it. 

Hello Steve,

thank you for that breakdown, with that, I think we all owe you a big thank you. The amount of work that it takes for one of these songs let alone a show is indeed incredible.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, and thank you for all the hard work. It is appreciated very much. We are lucky to have you in and on this forum, and certainly in the live Led Zeppelin world.

Have a great night my friend. 

On 5/20/2024 at 4:05 AM, LH1982 said:

Last US show. Oakland of 77. I know many don’t like this tour, but I’m a fan of it. I have most of the 77 shows. Whether all the shows were good or not, it’s always Zeppelin to me. And I don’t mind the long solos. I just wish I could have seen them at any point in time. I’ve seen Robert twice, JPJ 3 times and Jason 5 times. Never seen Jimmy sadly and missed the Page/Plant tours. 

For an awful long time i was not a real fan of the '77 tour. That has really now changed for me. Sure some nights were obviously better than others, but for me the terrific nights from '77 are as good as any of the terrific nights from any other year and what a set list!

On 5/22/2024 at 6:33 PM, Walesdad said:

For an awful long time i was not a real fan of the '77 tour. That has really now changed for me. Sure some nights were obviously better than others, but for me the terrific nights from '77 are as good as any of the terrific nights from any other year and what a set list!

Yeah maybe it’s because it was their last US tour, and like you, I love the long sets, is why I love this tour. I wish I could have seen them at any point in time, but unfortunately, I was born in 82. Yeah not all shows were great, but hey it was live and like you said, some of the shows are great or very good. Even though it ended abruptly and there was a riot, I thought they sounded amazing at the super brief Tampa show. And I really like that last Oakland show. For everyone that got to see them, they are lucky. 

On 5/26/2024 at 2:55 PM, LH1982 said:

Yeah maybe it’s because it was their last US tour, and like you, I love the long sets, is why I love this tour. I wish I could have seen them at any point in time, but unfortunately, I was born in 82. Yeah not all shows were great, but hey it was live and like you said, some of the shows are great or very good. Even though it ended abruptly and there was a riot, I thought they sounded amazing at the super brief Tampa show. And I really like that last Oakland show. For everyone that got to see them, they are lucky. 

I have never actually heard what they played on the aborted Tampa show, I'll give it a listen and I agree with you that anyone who actually got to see the band was lucky.

On 5/28/2024 at 7:55 AM, Walesdad said:

I have never actually heard what they played on the aborted Tampa show, I'll give it a listen and I agree with you that anyone who actually got to see the band was lucky.

They only got through a couple of songs but I think they were sounding great. However, a storm started and Robert said they would return and they didn’t. So, the fans rioted. But still, they sounded great for the very brief set. And yes I so wish I could say I was at any of their concerts, but I can’t say that.