Robert Plant's Range Rover 1973

lzzoso

I was being polite when I said "annoyance"

When you were close to the inside with Zep the rule was to play it cool and all would be fine for you. Howard crossed the line with a money making  unauthorised "hatchet job" on Page. Sillly boy, he could have got the big story had he kept rank.

• 1 year later...

I grew up in Cookley near to where Robert Plant lived at Jennings Farm. We lived directly opposite the village school & Robert often used to park outside our house & collect a lad from the school. I distinctly remember it being a white Range Rover as they hadn't long been launched  in 1970. I can't recall seeing his symbol but then he may have borrowed the car! Incidentally, as kids we played in the woods near Jennings Farm & frequently saw Plant & Page with others (couldn't be sure it was Bonham & Jones) out in the lanes in an open-backed jeep with shotguns & dogs. 

On 7/11/2017 at 10:07 AM, Graphite said:

When you were close to the inside with Zep the rule was to play it cool and all would be fine for you. Howard crossed the line with a money making  unauthorised "hatchet job" on Page. Sillly boy, he could have got the big story had he kept rank.

I never thought Tangents in a Framework was a hatchet job, it was one of a only a few books on Zep out there in early 80s it’s just an overview book on his career nothing salacious or anything. Why did it piss off the band ? 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:31 PM, Graphite said:

As for Howard the band found him an annoyance especially after "Tangents within a framework" So no wonder he thought the logo was on the side, he couldnt get that right.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:07 PM, Graphite said:

I hadn't seen these old posts until now. Tangents Within a Framework was published in 1983, three years after they disbanded, and it's hardly a hatchet job on Page. It is a fulsome tribute to Page's life in music. Besides, Howard had published a biography on the band way back in 1976. If there was an annoyance aspect I feel it would be limited to his stated intent to publish a Robert Plant biography during Robert's "No Led Anything" era. However, Howard readily ceased and desisted from doing so once Robert's wishes not to publish became known. Howard was a personal friend of mine, and he discussed all of this and more at length with me in his home. His loyalty to the band and respect for their wishes was second to none. 

mylett.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2019 at 7:20 AM, bluecongo said:

I never thought Tangents in a Framework was a hatchet job, it was one of a only a few books on Zep out there in early 80s it’s just an overview book on his career nothing salacious or anything. Why did it piss off the band ? 

Tangents was the first book I bought about Zeppelin and I thought it was really good. I don't remember thinking it was a hatchet job.

• 2 years later...
On 7/11/2017 at 10:31 PM, Graphite said:

I went to school in Kinver in 60's and 70's. The Range Rover was frequently in the High Street along with Bobs silver "pagoda" roof Mercedes SL.

The feather symbol mentioned was not on the side but in the centre of the rear tailgate. The sides were painted / decaled with a golden flowing scroll like pattern, the Rover was a mid brown sort of colour if I recall correctly. My Father was a photographer at the Express and Star then covering the Black Country down to Kinver but I never recall him mentioning photographing Bob. There is a picture on Google of Bob and said Rover that looks like it was taken in Wolverly by one of his favourite public house haunts, a close second was the Royal Exchange in Enville Street Stourbridge because it served Batham's ale (his then favourite).

Bada bing.

240735972_377241640680962_7277997062796847662_n.jpg

240734166_377241864014273_1547666762087575487_n.jpg