Tribute band pushing the envelope in terms of name?

FireOpal

Actually that's the opposite of pushing the envelope, which basically means to take something further than it's been before. Since they are a tribute band emersed in the look, music and name of another band they're definitely not pushing the envelope. Firmly rooted in the past is more like it. As far as the legality of their name who knows, they did add a 2 to it so it is different. One thing for sure, no matter how good they are, a tribute band using their subjects name in any way is LAME.

Actually that's the opposite of pushing the envelope, which basically means to take something further than it's been before. Since they are a tribute band emersed in the look, music and name of another band they're definitely not pushing the envelope. Firmly rooted in the past is more like it. As far as the legality of their name who knows, they did add a 2 to it so it is different. One thing for sure, no matter how good they are, a tribute band using their subjects name in any way is LAME.

Even "Lez" Zeppelin? That is somewhat inspired but on the other hand, I'm sure it confused a lot of people when they played Bonnaroo the year Zeppelin themselves were rumored to perform.

Led Zeppelin has had several world class tribute acts and much more than a bunch of lesser quality troupes on the bandwagon as well...

Lez Zeppelin are a group of girls doing God's work, and I guess they're pretty good. I know one of my favorite covers from Encomium is the 4 Non Blondes version of "Misty Mountain Hop." A brilliant performance.

Other gender twisting tributes:

• The Iron Maidens are an all-female band that pays tribute to Iron Maiden
  • and the AC/DShes cover the Young brother's music
  • So naturally in response to that we have Mandonna, an all-male tribute to Madonna
The Beatles' have had quite a few tribute bands over the years but my favorite name for a Beatles' tribute was, Sgt. Pepper's Only Dart Board Band

oddly enough, ABBA is a popular band to tribute
  • Gabba perform the songs of ABBA in the style of The Ramones
  • Björn Again is an Australia-based tribute to the Swedish quartet

And it seems like every big metro area has it's own Alice In Chains tribute...

• Nutshell is Boston's premiere tribute
  • and you can catch Facelift in New York City
  • or Dallas in Chains down in Texas
  • Sap
  • Dirt
  • Angry Chair
  • Jar Of Flies
  • Again
  • etc., etc...

...but one of their early tributes of the 90's got a boost from record industry officials and went on to bigger things___Godsmack.

Sadly Godsmack doesn't appreciate their Alice in Chains roots any longer, now that they're rich and famous. And lead singer Sully Erna claims that that name just came to him in a dream or some bullshit...that's like the guys from Mini Kiss (a little person band) claiming they got the idea to use make-up from a Maybelline commercial and it's just a coincidence they look like Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley...

Archived