Drive-By Truckers

Jahfin

Here's the press release for their new record, Go-Go Boots which is due on 2.14.11.

scaled_e1289237069.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS TO RELEASE GO-GO BOOTS ON FEBRUARY 15th ON ATO RECORDS

New York, NY – Drive-By Truckers will release Go-Go Boots, on February 15, 2011 on ATO Records. Go-Go Boots is their eleventh record and was produced by their longtime producer, David Barbe (Deerhunter, Bettye LaVette, Sugar). In conjunction with Go-Go Boots, they’ll also be releasing their documentary The Secret to a Happy Ending on DVD.

Go-Go Boots builds on their roots with the old Muscle Shoals country-and-soul sound. “We recorded nearly 40 songs last year and into this year and fairly early on divided it into two separate albums” explains DBT co-founder Patterson Hood. “The Big To-Do, released first, was the more straight forward "Rock" album. Go-Go Boots is what I sometimes (semi-jokingly) refer to as our country, soul, and murder ballad album. Those elements definitely play into it, but it's a little more open ended than that.”

The Secret to a Happy Ending is a film about the redemptive power of rock-and-roll. It’s a film about the American South, where rock was born. It’s about a group of kids that grew up amidst the sweet soul music made in Muscle Shoals, Alabama by black and white musicians while the civil rights movement exploded all around. It’s about leaving home and embracing the DIY ethos of punk. It’s about making art, making love and making a living. It’s a film about the Drive-By Truckers. Select screenings of the documentary are still being shown in theaters and FilmBuff will be releasing the movie on iTunes and across other digital platforms.

The band will show their appreciation for vinyl and independent record stores by releasing a special 10” 45 with “Thanksgiving Filter” and “Used To Be A Cop” on Record Store Day, November 26th. Both songs will be on Go-Go Boots and the release will be a limited pressing of only 2,500 copies and will feature a special sleeve designed by Wes Freed as well as a download card.

DBT will be releasing a series of Go-Go Boots episodes directed by Patterson Hood and Jason Thrasher. As a preview to the episodes they’ve released a video for “Used To Be a Cop” that can be viewed here: http://vimeo.com/16259405.

The band will kick off a month long tour in Europe this week and will end the year with a bang playing New Year’s Eve in New York city at Terminal 5. The Go-Go Boots tour will be announced soon.

The Drive-By Truckers are Patterson Hood, Mike Cooley, Shonna Tucker, Brad Morgan, John Neff and Jay Gonzalez.

Go-Go Boots track listing:

1. I Do Believe

2. Go-Go Boots

3. Dancin’ Ricky

4. Cartoon Gold

5. Ray’s Automatic Weapon

6. Everybody Needs Love

7. Assholes

8. The Weakest Man

9. Used To Be A Cop

10. The Fireplace Poker

11. Where’s Eddie

12. The Thanksgiving Filter

13. Pulaski

14. Mercy Buckets

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to watching the stuff from the upcoming album on youtube and I'm not impressed. Sheesh Patterson come up with a new melody already. UTBAC is a the same song he's been doing for the last 10 years with different words, same beat and tempo, same number of syllables per line etc. This band showed lots of promise, never thought they'd be the next Beatles or anything but was a time they were up there with the best of the day. But it's become formulaic in a bad way, not a trademark sound but repetitve to the point where I question their creativity.

I finally got around to watching the stuff from the upcoming album on youtube and I'm not impressed. Sheesh Patterson come up with a new melody already. UTBAC is a the same song he's been doing for the last 10 years with different words, same beat and tempo, same number of syllables per line etc. This band showed lots of promise, never thought they'd be the next Beatles or anything but was a time they were up there with the best of the day. But it's become formulaic in a bad way, not a trademark sound but repetitve to the point where I question their creativity.

Wow danelectro, you hit the nail on the head. I've seen them so many times, and I get so bored now.Years ago I saw them play and really enjoyed it. The last 4 or 5 times I was bored. It "is" absolutely formulaic in a stale way. My mommy and daddy did me wrong, I sold drugs and I drink way too much. I miss the days of them singing about prozac and masturbation. That's funny to say, especially reading that back, but that's when the band played their heart and soul out. For me they never stood up there with one of the best of the day, but, they were a damn fine bar band.

I haven't been particularly moved by the new song either. I also didn't care a whole lot for the majority of Brighter Than Creation's Dark but I don't think the album was bad, they just went in a direction musically that I simply am not into. The same holds true for "Used To Be A Cop". Yeah, a lot of Patterson's songs sound a lot alike but so do John Prine's (as well as a lot of other artists). I don't think that's a sign of a lack of creativity, a huge part of it is that's just their signature sound. Prine has been playing the same three chords throughout his career, it's what he does with those chords and lyrics that make him unique. I don't think Patterson is any different. I also won't judge the entire album on just this one song (or "The Thanksgiving Filter" which will be out as a single b/w "Used To Be A Cop" this Friday for Record Store Day).

As far as their live show, I can't say I've ever been bored by the Drive-By Truckers live. If anything, that's their one strong suit. I've never seen them give less than 100% in concert, even on an off night. And yes, just like any band with a reputation as a kick ass live act, they do have off nights. When you play as often as they do, it sorta comes with the territory.

In regards to the new material vs. the old, I also prefer Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance to a lot of their newer stuff but if they continued to mine those same themes they'd be accused of growing stagnant. While I may not be completely onboard with their newer material, I think they're far from stagnant. The Wig He Made Her Wear from The Big To-Do is classic Truckers, singing about the underbelly of society that no one else sings about.

I guess the difference for me, the Prine vs DBT comparison, is JP is by and large a folk artist backed by support musicians that do little else. DBT is a full on rock band with 2 lead guitarists and yet PH seems content to mine the same ground over and over. I could understand it if he was sitting on a stool with an acoustic but he isn't. But yeah some bands find a signature sound and stick with it with great success. I'm just not hearing that from the DBT, like I said IMO PH is simply putting different words over the same melody again and again. Not sure what happened but every album after The Dirty South has offered less than the previous. Honestly I'd like to see Cooley do something on his own at this point.

I guess the difference for me, the Prine vs DBT comparison, is JP is by and large a folk artist backed by support musicians that do little else. DBT is a full on rock band with 2 lead guitarists and yet PH seems content to mine the same ground over and over. I could understand it if he was sitting on a stool with an acoustic but he isn't. But yeah some bands find a signature sound and stick with it with great success. I'm just not hearing that from the DBT, like I said IMO PH is simply putting different words over the same melody again and again. Not sure what happened but every album after The Dirty South has offered less than the previous. Honestly I'd like to see Cooley do something on his own at this point.

I would imagine, that like Prine, Patterson's songs begin on acoustic before he brings them to the rest of the band. That's pretty much was I was referring to. A lot of his (Patterson's) songs begin with the exact same three chord progression, it's what he brings to them lyrically that makes the difference. Even if it's not a Patterson tune some of their songs sound a lot a like to me. I first noticed that as far back as SRO but it really didn't bother me that much at the time. Even though A Blessing And A Curse seems to be a lot of fans least favorite DBTs record, it at least showed them working outside of their usual realm of comfort. I had a very similar conversation about this with a friend recently and we were discussing how he may not be able to knock one out of the ballpark every time but when he does, he still shows a great knack as a songwriter.

Agreed about Cooley as he has a better record with me as a songwriter but he's also not nearly as prolific as Patterson. He's said he has no interest in a solo record but maybe that'll change one of these days.

I might go to the Philly show at the TLA Theater on 1/1/11. I have total faith they will be great live from Jahfin's reviews on here. The videos on youtube are pretty damn good. The three best parts of seeing shows at the TLA is that it's on South Street, it's small, and it's cheap. South Street is one of the streets you see Rocky running down. It's a very cool section with lots of clubs, bars, and unique stores. The show should be nice.

• 1 month later...

Exclusive Premiere: Drive-By Truckers "The Go-Go Boots - Episode 4: Eddie Hinton"

Watch the Drive-By Truckers love for soul singer Eddie Hinton, and "The Secret To A Happy Ending."

011811_DrivebyTruckers.jpg

DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS, ATO RECORDS

Patterson Hood and crew made a series of mini-documentaries related to the various themes and influences the band explores on their next album, "Go-Go Boots." The eight episodes are a companion to this, their ninth studio album, due out Feb. 15th. The episode below, directed with Jason Thrasher, delves into the band's relationship with the music and mythology of Eddie Hinton -- the obscure soul singer whom Hood described as "if Otis Redding met Howlin' Wolf somewhere in the middle."

"Back in the 60's and 70's, Eddie Hinton lived and recorded in my hometown of Muscle Shoals Alabama where he was a part of the thriving music scene that was based there," Hood explains. "A triple threat (singer, guitar player and songwriter) Eddie participated in hit music by Percy Sledge, Bobby Womack, Aretha Franklin, Boz Scaggs, Dusty Springfield.... Later he made several incredible albums as a solo artist."

Those are the albums you hear through the PA at any Drive-By Truckers show, usually before and after. Hinton was also a troubled soul, having spent time in mental institutions and was at times homeless late in life. "He passed away in 1995 and has since amassed a small but devoted cult following that includes the members of our band."

"We ended up recording a couple of his songs for a tribute single series (from Shake It Records of Cincinnati) during the recording of this album and were so happy with the results we ended up using them on our new album," Hood said. "The recording of 'Everybody Needs Love' and 'Where's Eddie' actually changed the shape of the album we were making and became the impetus for the writing of several new songs for the project." In those nine studio albums the band has never included a cover song before now, using two of their favorite Eddie Hinton songs on "Go-Go Boots."

The same day "Go-Go Boots" comes out on ATO Records the band will also release Barr Weismann's Drive-By Truckers documentary "The Secret To A Happy Ending." The Washington Post said the film "captures the singular blend of grit, sensitivity, stamina and acute songwriting that have led admirers to compare them to Neil Young, William Faulkner, the Replacements and Robert Penn Warren."

Weismann spent several years filming the band living and working, from touring to Thanksgiving, chronicling a period of upheaval in the band's collective history. Far from wary of such an intimate look into his life and band, Hood is full of praise, "The resulting film isn't a typical movie about a band as much as it's a life affirming love letter to the salvation in doing what you love at all costs."

"The Secret To A Happy Ending" screens at the IFC center in NY Feb. 3rd, check here for more listings.

Former member Jason Isbell sits in with the Drive-By Truckers in Huntsville, AL

IMG00200-20110128-0026.jpg

(l-r) Patterson Hood, Jason Isbell & Mike Cooley

jasondbt.jpg

(l-r) Jason Isbell, Patterson Hood & Mike Cooley

Drive-By Truckers

Crossroads

Huntsville, AL

Thursday, January 27 2011

You can listen to a stream of the show here.

Birthday Boy

Go-Go Boots

Where The Devil Don't Stay

Puttin' People on the Moon

Cartoon Gold

Box of Spiders

Pulaski

Mercy Buckets

Marry Me

Boys From Alabama

Three Dimes Down

Play It All Night Long

Get Downtown

It's Gonna Be (I Told You So)

Drag The Lake Charlie

Self Destructive Zones

Sinkhole

Uncle Frank

Hell No, I Ain't Happy (dedicated to Jason from Patterson)

Encore

Heathens*

Carl Perkins' Cadillac

Used To Be A Cop

Zip City

Let There Be Rock*

Buttholeville> State Trooper> Buttholeville*

People Who Died*

* with Jason Isbell on guitar and backing vocals

secret-pck.png

Here's the trailer to The Secret To A Happy Ending: A Documentary About The Drive-By Truckers. It's still being shown at various screenings around the U.S. and will be available on DVD on February 15th (the same day Go-Go Boots comes out). I attended the premiere of the film at the National theatre in Richmond, VA last year but what I saw there was still a work in progress, I look forward to seeing the finished film on the 15th. It's highly recommended to not only fans of the Truckers but to fans of rock n' roll in general.

• 3 weeks later...

The clip below is from the version of "Buttholeville/State Trooper" that can be found on the Sometimes Late at Night EP that could be found in independent record stores on the day Go-Go Boots was released. It features guest appearances from Cody Dickinson of North Mississippi All-Stars and the Truckers' long time producer, David Barbe.

1297439494_driveby1.jpg

1. When I Ran Off and Left Her (Vic Chesnutt cover from Go Go Boots Sessions)

2. Used to Be a Cop (recorded live in Atlanta, GA)

3. Everybody Needs Love (recorded live in Madison, WI)

4. Get Downtown (recorded live in Atlanta, GA)

5. Mercy Buckets (recorded live in Atlanta, GA)

6. Buttholeville/State Trooper (recorded live in Atlanta, GA)

My friend is a huge Drive-By Truckers fan. I have been a little more reticent about getting into them...some of it I like, other stuff, not so much. Did enjoy the record they did with Bettye LaVette, "The Scene of the Crime".

By the way, Jahfin, can you tell me how you post youtube videos here where the image shows up and not just the url link?

Archived