The Ashes Are On Again

Reggie29

The California Angels of MLB should look into this Jofra Archer fellow and see if he can pitch.

Methinks scheduling a World Cup and the Ashes in the same summer was not a sane decision. Neither XI appears to be in tip-top shape. 

At least now I can see the tests instead of just reading about them or seeing clips on Youtube. I couldn't find Sky Sports on our normal channel lineup through Sling TV, so I searched through this app called Modbro that I can access with Sling TV.

After searching through 300+ channels from the U.S., Europe, and the U.K., I finally found Sky Sports and Sky Sports Cricket.

As a bonus, I discovered I also get the Liverpool FC channel...LFCTV!

The reception sometimes freezes but it's better than nothing. And I get to laugh at the silly British commercials. Just as bad as the American ones.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

The California Angels of MLB should look into this Jofra Archer fellow and see if he can pitch.

Methinks scheduling a World Cup and the Ashes in the same summer was not a sane decision. Neither XI appears to be in tip-top shape. 

At least now I can see the tests instead of just reading about them or seeing clips on Youtube. I couldn't find Sky Sports on our normal channel lineup through Sling TV, so I searched through this app called Modbro that I can access with Sling TV.

After searching through 300+ channels from the U.S., Europe, and the U.K., I finally found Sky Sports and Sky Sports Cricket.

As a bonus, I discovered I also get the Liverpool FC channel...LFCTV!

The reception sometimes freezes but it's better than nothing. And I get to laugh at the silly British commercials. Just as bad as the American ones.

That's awesome!

Well, congrats to England for saving a little face by winning the 5th Test and drawing the Ashes even. Although, because of the rules Australia still retains the urn.

Everyone seems to agree that the Aussies partied too hard and long after winning the 4th test and clinching retaining the Ashes. Which points up the difference between American sports and others.

In America, there is no partying and celebrating until the competition is over. In baseball you don't pop the champagne until the final out is over. In football, teams don't celebrate at halftime and concede the second half.

Most Americans would scratch their heads at the Aussies partying when they were up only 2-1-1 with one more test to play. Sure, by technicality England couldn't "win" and regain the Ashes. But if Australia had kept their head and saved the partying for later, maybe they would have won the 5th test and the record would show Australia beating England decisively 3-1-1.

Instead, when future generations look at the 2019 Ashes results they will see that England played Australia to a 2-2-1 draw. 

On 9/16/2019 at 4:13 AM, Strider said:

Well, congrats to England for saving a little face by winning the 5th Test and drawing the Ashes even. Although, because of the rules Australia still retains the urn.

Everyone seems to agree that the Aussies partied too hard and long after winning the 4th test and clinching retaining the Ashes. Which points up the difference between American sports and others.

In America, there is no partying and celebrating until the competition is over. In baseball you don't pop the champagne until the final out is over. In football, teams don't celebrate at halftime and concede the second half.

Most Americans would scratch their heads at the Aussies partying when they were up only 2-1-1 with one more test to play. Sure, by technicality England couldn't "win" and regain the Ashes. But if Australia had kept their head and saved the partying for later, maybe they would have won the 5th test and the record would show Australia beating England decisively 3-1-1.

Instead, when future generations look at the 2019 Ashes results they will see that England played Australia to a 2-2-1 draw. 

I think it had more to do with Paine choosing to bowl, and Warners  poor form. 

They earned that celebration, they had a few days before the next game, nothing like a half time football game.

8 hours ago, slave to zep said:

I think it had more to do with Paine choosing to bowl, and Warners  poor form. 

They earned that celebration, they had a few days before the next game, nothing like a half time football game.

You know your Cricket Jules. I was stunned that he put us in. A great series though. Had everything. Warner? Struggled,yes. Maybe the stigma of his cheating scandal played on his mind? Didn't Smith though.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:42 PM, chillumpuffer said:

You know your Cricket Jules. I was stunned that he put us in. A great series though. Had everything. Warner? Struggled,yes. Maybe the stigma of his cheating scandal played on his mind? Didn't Smith though.

Thanks 😊

Warner is definitely in a slump.🤔

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Morning Jules

Took you a long time for that one :D

They were in trouble a couple of weeks ago. Shambles

I haven't been coming on here, but suddenly remembered this thread...

Yep, you guys had no answers this time.

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

England are showing what they are capable of with the bat, particularly Bairstow and Stokes.

Anderson is rock solid as always, Broad never gives up and Wood is going well too, even the spinner Leach has lifted, but, they are missing Stokes with the ball..

I was surprised they risked further injury by playing Stokes.

Some of the tactics have been very strange from the outset.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's funny how Piers Morgan complained and claimed it would be a travesty if Australia retained The Ashes because of the weather.

Short memory.

Here's a tip, win the first two tests and you won't have to rely on the weather.

May be an image of 8 people and text that says "Circa England 2013 after retaining the Ashes due to the rain while being 3/37 chasing 331 ENGvAUS ENG 3rdTEST MATCH DRAWN ENG RETAIN THE ASHES"

10 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

It's funny how Piers Morgan complained and claimed it would be a travesty if Australia retained The Ashes because of the weather.

Short memory.

Here's a tip, win the first two tests and you won't have to rely on the weather.

May be an image of 8 people and text that says "Circa England 2013 after retaining the Ashes due to the rain while being 3/37 chasing 331 ENGvAUS ENG 3rdTEST MATCH DRAWN ENG RETAIN THE ASHES"

He's just another whingeing pom. 

Don't get me started on the Bairstow run out....

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

There's that "Whingeing Pom" insult again. Piers Morgan is an wanker anyway. Don't put him in the same bracket as the rest of us. 

Don't get me started on sand paper...........

Ok, yeah. He's a wanker 👍 

The sandpaper was despicable. 

Bairstow did the exact same thing as was done to him!

59 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Why was the ball changed? Most media are dickheads and don't represent the public contrary to their beliefs.

Due to early work starts I haven't been able to watch the games live and sometimes catch "highlights" on the news sports reports.

It's over until the next series in a couple of years back home. The home team should always win given home ground advantage, so we'll see how England go over here especially without Broad.

2 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

Why was the ball changed? Most media are dickheads and don't represent the public contrary to their beliefs.

Due to early work starts I haven't been able to watch the games live and sometimes catch "highlights" on the news sports reports.

It's over until the next series in a couple of years back home. The home team should always win given home ground advantage, so we'll see how England go over here especially without Broad.

The ball was changed as per the rules of the game as it had gone out of shape and was checked by the Umpires. It's common practice as you know. Broad and Woakes bowled magnificently with the changed ball. 

In England we use the Dukes ball and is well suited to the conditions as in Australia the Cookaburra ball is used for the same reason.

May I also remind you that if the weather in Manchester hadn't saved that game for Australia, then England would have regained the Urn. 

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

You and I have a different view on what whingeing means.....

Fellow Australia legend McGrath agrees that it is something the ICC should ‘look into’, though he accepted the ball change was not ‘the reason’ England rallied to win the Test.

‘I must say – and it is not the reason England won – the fact the umpires changed a 37-over-old ball on day four for one that looked like it had been used for no more than 15 overs has to be looked into to,’ McGrath told BBC Sport.

You can't deny that the ball wasn't changes like for like.

That's all they're talking about .

It shouldn't be so different,  it was clearly a game changer.