Neil Diamond

Jac Holzman

Dr. John

Darlene Love

Art Rupe

Leon Russell

Tom Waits

2011 Inductees

I am shocked that Bon Jovi did not make it. They were nominated, along with the Beastie Boys and LL Cool J. No surprise that the rappers were snubbed, but I felt certain that the popular Bon Jovi would make the cut.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Just announced today:

Alice Cooper Band

Neil Diamond

Jac Holzman

Dr. John

Darlene Love

Art Rupe

Leon Russell

Tom Waits

2011 Inductees

I am shocked that Bon Jovi did not make it. They were nominated, along with the Beastie Boys and LL Cool J. No surprise that the rappers were snubbed, but I felt certain that the popular Bon Jovi would make the cut.

Popularity isn't part of the criteria for induction, influence is. I've yet to figure out how they even got nominated. Who did they influence? The only thing Bon Jovi have going for them is making the world safe for Mom metal.

Given that Grandmaster Flash and Run DMC are already in, I'm surprised that the Beastie Boys and LL Cool J were snubbed. Rap has definitely had an effect on rock n' roll and vice versa so I imagine both will be inducted eventually. Donna Summer was also snubbed (again), I still can't figure out how she influenced rock n' roll. Then again, Madonna is also in and she's had no influence on rock n' roll either.

Very glad to see Alice and Leon Russell get the nod, they should have both been inducted years ago. Proof positive that the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame still has their head up their ass. Never been a Waits fan but he also deserves to be inducted.

Popularity isn't part of the criteria for induction, influence is. I've yet to figure out how they even got nominated. Who did they influence? The only thing Bon Jovi have going for them is making the world safe for Mom metal.

Given that Grandmaster Flash and Run DMC are already in, I'm surprised that the Beastie Boys and LL Cool J were snubbed. Rap has definitely had an effect on rock n' roll and vice versa so I imagine both will be inducted eventually. Donna Summer was also snubbed (again), I still can't figure out how she influenced rock n' roll. Then again, Madonna is also in and she's had no influence on rock n' roll either.

Very glad to see Alice and Leon Russell get the nod, they should have both been inducted years ago. Proof positive that the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame still has their head up their ass. Never been a Waits fan but he also deserves to be inducted.

I agree with you about Bon Jovi, Jahfin and Nine.

My surprise is because I saw that Richie Sambora was very cozy with the RRHOF people at their Les Paul Tribute Concert, and I thought that would make BJ a shoe in for induction, because of that connection. BJ was very popular, but not innovative or influential, in my opinion.

Tom Waits does indeed deserve to be inducted, as well as Dr. John and Alice and Leon Russell and Neil Diamond. I am not familiar with the others, but after reading their bios on that link that I posted, I would agree with their inclusion in the RRHOF, also.

I don't think that Donna Summer or Madonna should be included. But that starts a new conversation about the validity of those who are in and those who have been snubbed in the past. Everyone has an opinion on that subject. I just accept the RRHOF for what it is, and I really enjoy visiting the museum.

This topic always makes for a nice conversation piece but it's not something to lose sleep over. If Rush, Kiss, Deep Purple, Warren Zevon or The Replacements never get in, I'm quite alright with that because I know of their "contributions to to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll", that's good enough for me.

Right. I would add Los Lobos in that category as well. Most people only know them as Lou Diamond Phillips' back up band in the movie La Bamba and their excellent cover of that song. They've gone miles beyond that with the advancement of Tex Mex, blues and traditional Hispanic music. They may get in someday, but i'm sure David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas will need assistance getting to the stage.

No Rush...No Kiss....what a joke!

I like Neil Diamond, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Really?

why do you find that surprising? Mr. Diamond has had a number of memorable songs make it to the top of the charts. Even some that other artists recorded. The guy has been around for a half century and contributed a hell of a lot more than some of his predecessors in the Hall. When I heard earlier this year that he was being nominated I was shocked because I thought he was already in.

I love Foghat as much as the next person but they don't fit the criteria for induction. If you think they do, please inform me of who they influenced.

You are right about your comment about influnce being a reason to get in, I guess you dont hear much about them in that regard and that would hurt them. but all the other reasons are there for getting in, they influenced me, but I know that does not count. : )

Did you ever notice that some of the early influences that were inducted into the rock hall are the same artists that the member's of Foghat said were their influences Willie Dixon’ Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker etc. . They were blues musicians not ROCK and ROLLERS. Foghat took those blues tunes like IJWMLTY by Muddy Waters and turned it into a rock anthem.

On another note I think they should change the name to Music Hall of Fame, NOT Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they even have Rappers in there.

For what its worth Rod Price was one of the best Slide players there was, Rock and Roll is about haveing fun, and Foghat was all that.

You are right about your comment about influnce being a reason to get in, I guess you dont hear much about them in that regard and that would hurt them. but all the other reasons are there for getting in, they influenced me, but I know that does not count. : )

Did you ever notice that some of the early influences that were inducted into the rock hall are the same artists that the member's of Foghat said were their influences Willie Dixon’ Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker etc. . They were blues musicians not ROCK and ROLLERS. Foghat took those blues tunes like IJWMLTY by Muddy Waters and turned it into a rock anthem.

On another note I think they should change the name to Music Hall of Fame, NOT Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they even have Rappers in there.

For what its worth Rod Price was one of the best Slide players there was, Rock and Roll is about haveing fun, and Foghat was all that.

None of the reasons you cite would be enough for Foghat to even be nominated much less inducted. Those blues artists are in because the blues is a huge part of where rock n' roll came from. Rap artists are in there because rock n' roll has influenced rap and vice versa. Same for R & B, Soul, Country, Folk, Bluegrass, Reggae, Ska, Rockabilly, etc. Rock n' Roll is a musical mutt and has been informed by all of those genres and vice versa. To ignore them wouldn't be fair to the original artists or to the rock n' roll artists they had an influence on.

None of the reasons you cite would be enough for Foghat to even be nominated much less inducted. Those blues artists are in because the blues is a huge part of where rock n' roll came from. Rap artists are in there because rock n' roll has influenced rap and vice versa. Same for R & B, Soul, Country, Folk, Bluegrass, Reggae, Ska, Rockabilly, etc. Rock n' Roll is a musical mutt and has been informed by all of those genres and vice versa. To ignore them wouldn't be fair to the original artists or to the rock n' roll artists they had an influence on.

Perhaps you are right, you make some valid points. But like I said it should be called The Music Hall and not the Rock and Roll hall, and in the end the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke IMO, Guess I should not let it bug me, but I wont ever go in there, Love how the Sex Pistols responed when they were put in. so true.

Perhaps you are right, you make some valid points. But like I said it should be called The Music Hall and not the Rock and Roll hall, and in the end the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke IMO, Guess I should not let it bug me, but I wont ever go in there, Love how the Sex Pistols responed when they were put in. so true.

Changing the name isn't going to affect anything. They have to take all of those influences into account or else they wouldn't be true to the roots of rock n' roll. It's the same for any genre of music, they all criss cross styles, it's not something that's cut and dry. As for the Sex Pistols, their refusal to appear was just as calculated as their creation by Malcolm McLaren. If it was meant to piss everyone off they didn't succeed. When their letter was read aloud during their induction it received a hearty round of applause. As for the actual Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, I've been there and quite enjoyed my visit. I was there back in 2006 when The Experience Music Project out of Seattle was presenting an exhibit on Bob Dylan. It was very well done and worth every second of my time. It was also very cool to be able to see actual handwritten lyrics by John Lennon, Jerry Garcia's guitar named Rosebud amongst many other rock n' roll artifacts. There was a record convention being held there that day which was also a lot of fun to browse through.