Jeff Beck On Outrider

Justfred

In November 1986 Jimmy issued a press release to announce he was leaving The Firm to begin a solo album. Then on Nov 22nd, 1986 MTV News reported The Firm's disbandment and that Page was working on a solo album with Tony Franklin.

On December 29, 1986 MTV News reported Jimmy was working on a double album to feature Plant, John Paul Jones and Ben E. King. Page's management would neither confirm or deny it. (History shows Page & Plant contributed to each other's solo albums and that JPJ began production on Ben E. King's 'Save The Last Dance for Me album in Sept '86).

In November 1987 Jimmy met with David Geffen and John Kalodner of Geffen Records; they previewed his nearly complete solo album. Jimmy signed a long-term recording contract with them later that same month.

In April 1988 Jimmy granted his first media interview to promote 'Outrider' to Mick Wall of 'Kerrang!'. Heavy promotional duties followed, during which Jimmy occasionally mentioned that although he originally intended to release a double album some of his dermo tapes had been among those stolen from his home by someone he had trusted. Consequently his ambitions for this album were scaled back - Outrider's side one is rock, side two is blues.

In April 1988 Jimmy granted his first media interview to promote 'Outrider' to Mick Wall of 'Kerrang!'. Heavy promotional duties followed, during which Jimmy occasionally mentioned that although he originally intended to release a double album some of his dermo tapes had been among those stolen from his home by someone he had trusted. Consequently his ambitions for this album were scaled back - Outrider's side one is rock, side two is blues

Scarry to think that he had no back up tapes to fall back on. So basically if someone stole his Outrider Tapes Jimmy Page to this day would have never had a solo album. That means his post Zeppelin career by himself would have been zilch, and people put down Robert. Robert is still viable you have to respect him for that .Love him or hate him Robert Plant's Solo albums are ambitious. Jimmy Page post Zeppelin ""Zilch ambition"".

Scarry to think that he had no back up tapes to fall back on. So basically if someone stole his Outrider Tapes Jimmy Page to this day would have never had a solo album. That means his post Zeppelin career by himself would have been zilch, and people put down Robert. Robert is still viable you have to respect him for that .Love him or hate him Robert Plant's Solo albums are ambitious. Jimmy Page post Zeppelin ""Zilch ambition"".

In fact, much of what wound up on Outrider originated in the studio as Jimmy had so much material stolen from him. That's why he once referred to Outrider as a "glorified demo". Someone did steal his Outrider tapes, the stuff on Outrider was largely created after the theft. This thread has nothing to do with Robert, the only one putting anyone down is you.

Furthermore, The Firm, Outrider, Page/Plant, the Crowes, BBC Sessions, Box Set, How the West Was Won, the DVD, etc., shows a guy with plenty of ambition. I too wish more of it was aimed at new music but it's not like he's been sitting on his arse for 30 years.

In fact, much of what wound up on Outrider originated in the studio as Jimmy had so much material stolen from him. That's why he once referred to Outrider as a "glorified demo". Someone did steal his Outrider tapes, the stuff on Outrider was largely created after the theft. This thread has nothing to do with Robert, the only one putting anyone down is you.

Furthermore, The Firm, Outrider, Page/Plant, the Crowes, BBC Sessions, Box Set, How the West Was Won, the DVD, etc., shows a guy with plenty of ambition. I too wish more of it was aimed at new music but it's not like he's been sitting on his arse for 30 years.

Glad you see it different . So what your saying is that he couldn't recall anything that was stolen from the so called double album. Thats amazing. The Firm was largely a Paul Rodgers affair,Page and Plant was lets be honest 85% Plant. Jimmy wrote no new music with the Black Crowes, Yet the Black crowes after Jimmy's tour had a abundance of new Music .The others that you mentions are all live album Side projects. The kind of live stuff that Frank Zappa put out on a Daily Basis. I said Post Zeppelin, Solo wise Jimmy Page Has No Ambition,because obviously he didn't have any of his own songs. Do you really believe that Page is not resting on his laurels .You need to really look at previous posts to see how much Robert Has been blasted.

The Firm was largely a Paul Rodgers affair, Page and Plant was lets be honest 85% Plant.

It was Jimmy who asked Paul to join The Firm and though some material from Paul's solo album, 'Cut Loose' was used on their debut album/tour, IMHO it remained pretty much an equal partnership, if not genuine band effort.

While I agree Robert initially yielded more influence than Jimmy over the Page/Plant collaboration, I don't consider it to have been an 85% / 15% split. I'd say 60% / 40% in Robert's favor from '94-'96 but 60% / 40% in Jimmy's favor from '97-'98. It's completely subjective...views may vary...indeed they do.

Regardless, if the point of contention here is ambition, by Jimmy's own admission he doesn't have the ambition "to maintain a proper solo career". That's not to say he's devoid of any artistic ambition whatsoever, as his other various projects and performances since the disbandment of Led Zeppelin have shown.

Intresting quote from Jeff Beck post-10637-0-39100300-1292971435_thumb.j Just like Beck , I too thought Page was going to make a Double instrumental album. (Old Interview from the 80's)

Jimmy had a few tapes worth of demos for a double album but they were stolen and he started from scratch.

It was Jimmy who asked Paul to join The Firm and though some material from Paul's solo album, 'Cut Loose' was used on their debut album/tour, IMHO it remained pretty much an equal partnership, if not genuine band effort.

While I agree Robert initially yielded more influence than Jimmy over the Page/Plant collaboration, I don't consider it to have been an 85% / 15% split. I'd say 60% / 40% in Robert's favor from '94-'96 but 60% / 40% in Jimmy's favor from '97-'98. It's completely subjective...views may vary...indeed they do.

Regardless, if the point of contention here is ambition, by Jimmy's own admission he doesn't have the ambition "to maintain a proper solo career". That's not to say he's devoid of any artistic ambition whatsoever, as his other various projects and performances since the disbandment of Led Zeppelin have shown.

The Firm started during the ARMS tour in 83 when Paul sang for Jimmy (instead of Steve Winwood early on).

The Firm started during the ARMS tour in 83 when Paul sang for Jimmy (instead of Steve Winwood early on).

It's important to note Jimmy did not intend to form a band at that time, and he had only asked Paul if he'd perform with him on the six date US tour.

If you meant that's how they began working together prior to The Firm (aside from Bad Company having been on the Swan Song label) that's fine.

So from 1984 -1988, Jimmy Page released two albums from The Firm, and a solo album. He also contributed to Plant's "Now & Zen", contributed to "One Hit To the Body" by The Stones, and also appeared on The Honeydrippers album. You may complain about inactivity now.......but certainly not then.

So from 1984 -1988, Jimmy Page released two albums from The Firm, and a solo album. He also contributed to Plant's "Now & Zen", contributed to "One Hit To the Body" by The Stones, and also appeared on The Honeydrippers album. You may complain about inactivity now.......but certainly not then.

...as well as his collaboration with Roy Harper in 1984, the massively underrated album 'Whatever Happened to Jugula?'. Even so, once the stars had finally aligned in '88 to continue a proper solo career his ambitions reverted to seeking the stimulus of collaboration. If he ever wanted a solo career he'd have had one.

Archived