Orlando 71

chef free

A friend told me he had a matrixed copy of Orlando '71 but when I got it it was just the soundboard with the missing bits PATCHED with an audience recording! I was so dissapointed. Folks, we got to get our terms straight, Fixing holes in a recording is called patching, mixing (matrixing) a soundboard(excellent vocals, keyboards and upper bass) with an audience (excellent guitar, low bass and "vibe") is a matrix. See BlueCongo's Four Blocks in the Snow.

Let me get this straight from my collection my knowledge is that soundboards quality is superb, is this just recordings of shows Led did themselves but the recordings have been leaked.

Yes, a soundboard recording is from a tape deck plugged into the mixer board (or table for you Brits). They are very clean and clear, and do not have much "crowd noise" but they were mixed to sound right in a certin venue with a drum set and the bands stage amplification reinforcing it. Therefore a soundboard tape can sound less than great, the guitar is often lower since Jimmy has a bunch of amps on stage and they can lack low bass since that comes from the room itself. A good audience tape has a "feel" to it, like being at a show, when you think "Wow!" you can hear a few thousand people agree! A matrix can be the best of both worlds (if done correctly!). You get loud guitar, clear vocals, lots of low bass, non-warbly keyboards and an awesome "really being there" feeling.

But only if done right! You have to know what you're doing and the final result can be a mess if not so!

That's for sure! If the two (or more) recordings get even a few milliseconds out of synch the effect is very irritating. Each recording must first be pitch (speed) corrected, this is complicated by the fact that, as batteries run low, the speed of the tape may change.

Hey can somebody give me a list of good matrix shows ??

Off the top of my head:

12-2-75 MSG

Montreaux 1970

Vienna 1980

Cologne 1980

Seattle 17-7-73

Nassau 1975

Knebworth 1979

Long Beach 1975 (the first show, personally I don't like this one as more of the audience source comes through. IMO the sbd source should be over the top, not the other way around).

Archived