Deep Purple returns to the US this summer.

Wolfman

I think a better name for them would be Faded Bruise.

Or,

Scar Tissue.

Thats so Lame, So just because you are older you get dammed with things like this ? Members of Zep are old to, dont forget that, DP are coming to my town this summer but I will be in Europe then, I would pay to see them in a heartbeat, still one of the best live acts around. and they are the tightest sounding band live that I have ever seen, no slop on stage at all with this band.

Some bands can weather changes in their personell and come out relatively unscathed. Deep Purple's sound was predominantly based on Ritchie Blackmore's guitar and Jon Lord's organ. With these two gone, they are but a shell of what they once were. As I said, they're faded, at best. Age only adds to that, in most cases.

I agree, but only to a point, Blackmore and Lord were very special and its not the same anymore, but to say they are a shell of what they once were is a bit much. Don Airy and Steve Morse are very good musicians, I am thinking you have not seen them live.

Haven't seen Don Airy, but I have seen Steve Morse many times, back with the Dixie Dregs in '77-'78. Steve is world-class, I agree, but I don't hear him fitting in with DP like for instance, Tommy Bolin did briefly in the mid 70s.

People can imitate, but it's just not the same and it's a shell compared to what they once were.

Maybe it's you who weren't alive back then to experience these things as they were, LIVE. Or you just allow for replacements a bit more liberaly than me.

You should go see them with Morse before you write them off, Morse does not imitate Blackmore, he is himself, while I do prefer the older lineup these guys are still very good and you have to see them live to see this, sorry to disappoint you but I have seen DP five times with Blackmore and Lord LIVE so I know what I am talking about.

Haven't seen Don Airy, but I have seen Steve Morse many times, back with the Dixie Dregs in '77-'78. Steve is world-class, I agree, but I don't hear him fitting in with DP like for instance, Tommy Bolin did briefly in the mid 70s.

People can imitate, but it's just not the same and it's a shell compared to what they once were.

Maybe it's you who weren't alive back then to experience these things as they were, LIVE. Or you just allow for replacements a bit more liberaly than me.

P.S. Tommy Bolin was only with them a year before the band called it a day, Morse has been with them now for 16 years so I would think he is fitting in, have you heard any of their work with him ? I am curious, pull up 'Sun goes Down' and 'Wrong man' and tell me its sounds like they are trying to sound like days of old, its their own sound, those tunes rock to these ears, while I prefered the old DP this band is still very good.

Some bands can weather changes in their personell and come out relatively unscathed. Deep Purple's sound was predominantly based on Ritchie Blackmore's guitar and Jon Lord's organ. With these two gone, they are but a shell of what they once were. As I said, they're faded, at best. Age only adds to that, in most cases.

No Blackmore and Lord. No Deep Purple. But if Gillan is there will still be worth it Im sure.

No...it's not a disappointment. That's your view on things.

I can't be disappointed in your opinion, I can only disagree.

IF Deep Purple came around, say to a FREE outdoor event near me, I'd go.

BTW, if Morse is doing any of the old bruised stuff, then it's an imitation. If they only play recent, since he's been with them, material...he's being himself, but I'd still pass. I AM disappointed in DP's music over the last few decades.

To each his own I guess, but can you really expect them not to play the classics ? unfortunately all they play on the radio in America is the old stuff so thats what most want to hear. of course I perfer the old stuff with Blackmore then hearing Morse play them, they could not get away without playing the old stuff, I wish they would just play newer stuff but that is not going to happen because people want to hear the oldies.the band have even said this themselves.

All I am saying is that they still put on a good show and they are all top noch musicans and they should not be written off till you see them live.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really wish they had Blackmore. I know he is an asshole but I still think Steve Morse is good, I just prefer Blackmore(like Ace Frehley in KISS not Tommy Thayer); his tone, his style. Morse is a little too "metally" for me. I swa performance of Smoke on the Water with Morse as the guitarist on YouTube, I didn't care for it.

Archived