LED ZEP - an open letter - I am BEGGING you to TOUR IN '08 !

Motown

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but today I just realised that 2008 is Led Zeppelins (and My) 40th birhday!

I love Robert and Alisons new album but surely they can do the tour and still leave Robert with enough time for Zeppelin gigs later in the year?.I think Robert has finally and triumphantly ran out of excuses as to why this shouldn't happen now!.

Robert doesn't have to justify to you, or anyone else, why he wants to tour with Alison and not Zeppelin. :rolleyes:

Yes, I was actually thinking whether I would like to see a Robert who is talked into a tour which he does out of "obligation for the fans". And I got to the conclusion that it would suck big time. So my letter to Robert would be a short one:

Robert, please do what you think it's best - as you have done it throughout your career. Many of us would feel rage, disappointment, even perhaps hatred, if you decided not to tour as Led Zeppelin, but you will help no-one getting on stage along with Jimmy, Jonesy and Jason without actually meaning it. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

Please tour!

I've seen Page solo, I've seen Plant solo, I've seen the Firm, I've seen Page/Plant, I've seen the Arms benefit w/Page, Beck, Clapton, etc., yet I have never seen Led Zeppelin.

Please tour!

:rolleyes:

I don't think I could have said it any better. I'm a few years older than you, so I was able to witness the full frontal assault of Zep - all great, mind you. I have also never seen them, but always dreamed of going. I am actually listing to XM radio's channedl 59 - they have a special running - It's been Zep all day long so far.

I love you guys - I get chills running up and down my spine when I hear the band. Not in a sexual way - in an unbelievable, awed way, although Jimmy can pound on my guitar strings any day of the week.

PLEASE Tour - come visit us in sunny Florida

Okay, so I already know the likelihood of ANY Led Zep members actually reading this are very slim to very none, but what do I have to lose by trying?

In 1980, Led Zep was slated to play here in Detroit at a brand new Joe Louis Arena on October 30/31. I was going into junior high school at the time, and Led Zep was already my favorite band - by far. Although I was/am a keyboard player, Jimmy Page was my idol, and I still to this day cannot believe the emotions he emits on that guitar. Robert Plant epitomized everything about the 70's - an era in which I was born slightly too late to fully enjoy and appreciate. John Paul Jones has always been an influence for me on the keyboards, and remains to this day the most underrated bass player there has ever been. His songwriting skills are magical, to boot. And needless to say, John Bonham was the best rock drummer of all-time - and if he were still here today, would still put just about every drummer out there to shame.

I never got to see that show. I was so excited getting tickets to see my favorite band, and did my best to keep the secret from my mom. My birthday came and went on September 17, and all I could think about was the concert I would get to see just over a month from that day. Then, a week after my birthday, John Bonham tragically passed away. I was stunned, and couldn't believe the news. Suddenly, nothing else mattered. Although part of me was selfish and still wanted them to carry on for my own benefit, I was neither surprised or angered by the announcement that they would disband. It was the right thing to do.

And so it went. Oh sure, there were a few surprises after the fire had burned out. I sat with goosebumps in front of the TV watching Live Aid, and even though the performance was severely flawed (thanks in many ways to the senseless addition of Phil Collins on drums), I was convinced that was as close as I would ever get to seeing Led Zeppelin. As the 80's pressed on, I bought any Robert Plant solo albums that came about, as well as The Firm - looking for ANY sembelence of Zep in any of the songs. There were moments, but it just wasn't the same.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point to all this rambling is simple: LED ZEPPELIN has just proven that, after twenty eight years, they are STILL the greatest rock band of all-time. So now we come to the shameless begging:

ROBERT PLANT, I love you. WE love you. And while your solo material is good, your place - the place you made your own - is the singer of LED ZEPPELIN. And you have just proven beyond the shadow of a doubt - to the entire planet - that the song, does indeed, remain the same.

PLEASE, Robert. PLEASE. If 20 million people vying for 18,000 tickets doesn't change your priorities, then I suppose nothing ever will. But I write this not just for myself, but for the millions upon millions that would still love a chance to see a Led Zeppelin concert. The money taken in by such a tour would be downright staggering, and if you're not interested in keeping that money, then just think how many charities (Ahmet Ertegun, etc.) that you could help by donating proceeds. I have seen preliminary estimations of a nightly performance by Led Zep grossing 2-3 million dollars. I guarantee that here in Detroit - and likely most major cities here in the US - that you would be playing a minimum of 3 shows just to satisfy the throngs of Zep fans within the state.

I have already accepted the fact that I'll never get to meet any of you, and although that has always been my #1 dream, I can't think of anything next in line to that which would be better than seeing a live LED ZEPPELIN concert - and it would have extra meaning taking place in 2008, 40 years after the inception of the band.

If a tour doesn't happen, it will be a crying shame. But if that's the way it's really meant to be, then I enjoyed the ride of last night's show in London. I wasn't there, haven't seen any live clips yet, but I felt a wave of emotion that NO OTHER BAND ON THE PLANET can evoke. I had goosebumps just watching the coverage on local news, and I felt like laughing and crying all at once. Do you have any idea how many others you make feel that exact same way? I suppose anyone can say they're a fan of something, but until that something makes you feel the way I feel and have felt about LED ZEPPELIN, it pales in comparison. And my story here is just one person's. I imagine there are millions upon millions that have a similar story, and they deserve to witness your show just as well.

Thank-you, Robert. Thank-you, Jimmy. Thank-you, John Paul. And thank-you, Jason.

If that's as close as we ever get, it was very much worth it.

But I can only hope that was the beginning, rather than the end!

- JP

Detroit, MI, USA

I really hope that led zep read your letter and get some dates organised, It would be a once in a lifetime experience to see them play on stage, it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it!!!! :rolleyes:

Awesome - Just Awesome - Great letter - I agree with everything you said

Hopefully this site somehow passes this letter on to Robert

I must tell you I feel the same - when I saw the news and I was searching for any and all news of the 02 Reunion I had that same feeling

All Day Dec 10 all I did - was listen to anything Zep - read anything Zep

I'm 34 and From Toronto - I would agree Zep is the Band of a Life Time

I started to listen to their stuff when I was 14 - Zep 4 of course - loved it -

went out and bought all their albums - over two to three years I had all 8 albums + movie Sound Track (I'm still buying anything and everything - shirts, new releases, Baby clothes whatever)

Then I had some rough times - and the song that I listened to constantly and it in turn saved my life was IN THE LIGHT - just unbeleivable and now of course I get to look back and say Wow - Thank you Zep

Now the years have gone by and I can tell you that I have a favourite song for every mood I'm in

and pretty much all of there songs fit for any mood- so my favourite is anything Zep

Recently I've been finding on the net some rare songs - and I came across an alternate version of In The Light - Differnt - But its awesome too -

Zep's songs and albums are diverse Not like some of these bands today - C'mon - all songs on one album could be similiar also from album to album there similiar -

So we not only want them back for the old - we want them back to Revive Rock Music

Together the remaining 3 can do more for Rock then i beleive any other musicians can-

Now Bonham is sorrly missed - but who else to take his place but his son

How proud could that make him -

Jason - Awesome superb job - I've seen some clips on you tube - Great stuff

and Like they started the show

Good Times Bad Times

In the days of my youth I was told what it is to be a man

now I've reached that age I try to the those things the best I can

no matter how I try I find my way to the same old jam

Well lets hope they do find their way to the same old JAM

and Tour the world

ZEP - we await -

Okay, so I already know the likelihood of ANY Led Zep members actually reading this are very slim to very none, but what do I have to lose by trying?

In 1980, Led Zep was slated to play here in Detroit at a brand new Joe Louis Arena on October 30/31. I was going into junior high school at the time, and Led Zep was already my favorite band - by far. Although I was/am a keyboard player, Jimmy Page was my idol, and I still to this day cannot believe the emotions he emits on that guitar. Robert Plant epitomized everything about the 70's - an era in which I was born slightly too late to fully enjoy and appreciate. John Paul Jones has always been an influence for me on the keyboards, and remains to this day the most underrated bass player there has ever been. His songwriting skills are magical, to boot. And needless to say, John Bonham was the best rock drummer of all-time - and if he were still here today, would still put just about every drummer out there to shame.

I never got to see that show. I was so excited getting tickets to see my favorite band, and did my best to keep the secret from my mom. My birthday came and went on September 17, and all I could think about was the concert I would get to see just over a month from that day. Then, a week after my birthday, John Bonham tragically passed away. I was stunned, and couldn't believe the news. Suddenly, nothing else mattered. Although part of me was selfish and still wanted them to carry on for my own benefit, I was neither surprised or angered by the announcement that they would disband. It was the right thing to do.

And so it went. Oh sure, there were a few surprises after the fire had burned out. I sat with goosebumps in front of the TV watching Live Aid, and even though the performance was severely flawed (thanks in many ways to the senseless addition of Phil Collins on drums), I was convinced that was as close as I would ever get to seeing Led Zeppelin. As the 80's pressed on, I bought any Robert Plant solo albums that came about, as well as The Firm - looking for ANY sembelence of Zep in any of the songs. There were moments, but it just wasn't the same.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point to all this rambling is simple: LED ZEPPELIN has just proven that, after twenty eight years, they are STILL the greatest rock band of all-time. So now we come to the shameless begging:

ROBERT PLANT, I love you. WE love you. And while your solo material is good, your place - the place you made your own - is the singer of LED ZEPPELIN. And you have just proven beyond the shadow of a doubt - to the entire planet - that the song, does indeed, remain the same.

PLEASE, Robert. PLEASE. If 20 million people vying for 18,000 tickets doesn't change your priorities, then I suppose nothing ever will. But I write this not just for myself, but for the millions upon millions that would still love a chance to see a Led Zeppelin concert. The money taken in by such a tour would be downright staggering, and if you're not interested in keeping that money, then just think how many charities (Ahmet Ertegun, etc.) that you could help by donating proceeds. I have seen preliminary estimations of a nightly performance by Led Zep grossing 2-3 million dollars. I guarantee that here in Detroit - and likely most major cities here in the US - that you would be playing a minimum of 3 shows just to satisfy the throngs of Zep fans within the state.

I have already accepted the fact that I'll never get to meet any of you, and although that has always been my #1 dream, I can't think of anything next in line to that which would be better than seeing a live LED ZEPPELIN concert - and it would have extra meaning taking place in 2008, 40 years after the inception of the band.

If a tour doesn't happen, it will be a crying shame. But if that's the way it's really meant to be, then I enjoyed the ride of last night's show in London. I wasn't there, haven't seen any live clips yet, but I felt a wave of emotion that NO OTHER BAND ON THE PLANET can evoke. I had goosebumps just watching the coverage on local news, and I felt like laughing and crying all at once. Do you have any idea how many others you make feel that exact same way? I suppose anyone can say they're a fan of something, but until that something makes you feel the way I feel and have felt about LED ZEPPELIN, it pales in comparison. And my story here is just one person's. I imagine there are millions upon millions that have a similar story, and they deserve to witness your show just as well.

Thank-you, Robert. Thank-you, Jimmy. Thank-you, John Paul. And thank-you, Jason.

If that's as close as we ever get, it was very much worth it.

But I can only hope that was the beginning, rather than the end!

- JP

Detroit, MI, USA

JP you said it all. I will remember till the day I die, the night in 1979 that I saw Led Zeppelin, no other band on the planet will ever come close [ or blue grass singer].

Plant's tour dates with Krauss are going right thru the summer...i cannot see it possible for Zep to tour in 08 in light of this. he and krauss have confirmed European dates and US dates and actually are "unconfirmed" for Madison Sq Garden on like June 27th-ish,...how can a Zep world tour happen? i think the best anyone can hope for is another "one-off" at the Garden (the band's most loved venue).

Robert doesn't have to justify to you, or anyone else, why he wants to tour with Alison and not Zeppelin. :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree with you more!

My favourite record of this year was Raising Sands! I played it again just a few hours ago, and like all good music it gets better everytime.It completely confounded my expectations and gave me an appreciation of Country music that I never quite had before.

Until now, I thought modern country was to folk what rap is to rock.

I have been a Plant fan for as long as I have loved Led Zeppelin.

Whatever Robert decides to do is more than OK with me .

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my post, but I still believe there is room for both.

Archived