Gil-Scott Heron-RIP

Anjin-san

gilscottheron.jpg

Poet, musician, spoken-word artist and writer Gil Scott-Heron passed away on Friday at age 62.

Scott-Heron died at New York City's St. Luke's Hospital, where he'd been since returning home from a European trip and falling ill. Though he announced in 2008 that he was HIV-positive and he'd been hospitalized for pneumonia, the cause of his death has yet to be announced.

Dozens of artists have since paid tribute to Scott-Heron, honouring his contributions to music and his influence.

"RIP GSH..and we do what we do and how we do because of you," Public Enemy's Chuck D tweeted Friday. "And to those that don't know tip your hat with a hand over your heart & recognize."

Radiohead also posted a list of Scott-Heron's songs on their website as a tribute.

Rather than mourn the passing of the man who's been called the godfather of hip-hop, we here at CHARTattack prefer to remember why Scott-Heron was such a hugely influential and important figure in music history.

Here, then, are 14 reasons why Gil Scott-Heron was cool:

I spent Memorial Day weekend with little to no exposure to radio, television or the innerwebz so when I heard XM's Deep Tracks channel playing "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" on Saturday I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until I got home and had computer access that I learned of his passing. I was never a big fan but he was definitely a huge influence on a lot of artists. RIP, Gil-Scott.

Archived