Vultures Circling

snapper

Where the problems begin:

1973: All seems to be going brilliantly up to this point. Unfortuately, it was on this tour where Plants voice started to show signs of permanent damage to his vocal cords, and from here on out would be a serious issue for Plant and the band to contend with.

Page also broke a finger on this tour, but seemed to recover fairly quickly...this time.

Also, it was after this tour that JPJ told the band he needed some time off from touring, the band wouldn't hit the road again for almost 2 years.

1974: Plant has surgery to repair his damaged vocal cords.

1975: U.S tour begins with Plants voice in terrible shape, and Page injures his finger... again.

Plant gets in a near fatal car accident, last leg of U.S. tour cancelled.

It will be another 2 years until the band can tour again.

1977: U.S. tour postponed 2 months due to Plants "tonsillitis".

Page's drug and alcohol use is taking an obvious toll on him now, both physically and musically.

Plant's son 'Karac' dies from spinal meningitis. Last leg of tour cancelled.

1980: European tour postponed 1 month, reason "unknown".

John Bonham dies at Jimmy's house while rehearsing for upcoming U.S. tour.

U.S. tour cancelled.

Game Over.

A band's demise usually occurs in a short length of time, not spread across seven years. Led Zeppelin ended because John Bonham died. While all of the things you posted are factual, it's a stretch to say that all of them contributed to the band ceasing operations in 1980.

A band's demise usually occurs in a short length of time, not spread across seven years. Led Zeppelin ended because John Bonham died. While all of the things you posted are factual, it's a stretch to say that all of them contributed to the band ceasing operations in 1980.

This is true. I should have said 'Where the problems began' as opposed to "the demise of Zeppelin", I'm changing that, thanks.

Where the problems begin:

1973: All seems to be going brilliantly up to this point. Unfortuately, it was on this tour where Plants voice started to show signs of permanent damage to his vocal cords, and from here on out would be a serious issue for Plant and the band to contend with.

Page also broke a finger on this tour, but seemed to recover fairly quickly...this time.

Also, it was after this tour that JPJ told the band he needed some time off from touring, the band wouldn't hit the road again for almost 2 years.

1974: Plant has surgery to repair his damaged vocal cords.

1975: U.S tour begins with Plants voice in terrible shape, and Page injures his finger... again.

Plant gets in a near fatal car accident, last leg of U.S. tour cancelled.

It will be another 2 years until the band can tour again.

1977: U.S. tour postponed 2 months due to Plants "tonsillitis".

Page's drug and alcohol use is taking an obvious toll on him now, both physically and musically.

Plant's son 'Karac' dies from spinal meningitis. Last leg of tour cancelled.

1980: European tour postponed 1 month, reason "unknown".

John Bonham dies at Jimmy's house while rehearsing for upcoming U.S. tour.

U.S. tour cancelled.

Game Over.

The 1977 Tour also saw John Bonham's troubles escalating as well. John was completely out of control at this point and was a definate part of

the crumbling of the Zeppelin mystique and well-being. Bonzo was Gone-zo and knew no limit to his excesses. Nice guy one day - the Beast the next.

A real shame because he had more influence on the Band than he realized. 1977 should have never happened for the Zep...esp. the West Coast

leg of the Tour.

The only "vultures circling" that my friends and I noticed through those years were the increasing infiltration and use of drugs (and for some of them, hard drugs) by the band members and their entourage...that, and the fact that we felt we were "outgrowing" the band (not a band problem, just us moving onto other sorts of music and interests in our lives).

I had come onboard with Zep around '72 via IV and became a diehard fan in the years to come. By the time of In Through the Out Door I was just as big a fan as ever. Unfortunately, I didn't see them when they played Greensboro, NC in '77 (the only opportunity I ever had to see them) and never had a chance after that as history took it's course.

Was Karac the son of Shirley or her sister Maureen, I was trying to look him up?

I had always heard that it was an infection as well, but sometimes infections in one place can easily turn into septicemia or even meningitis in the last stages. In any event, it was certainly a sad thing for Plant to have to go through.

Karac was Robert and Maureen's son.

The only "vultures circling" that my friends and I noticed through those years were the increasing infiltration and use of drugs (and for some of them, hard drugs) by the band members and their entourage...that, and the fact that we felt we were "outgrowing" the band (not a band problem, just us moving onto other sorts of music and interests in our lives).

That's the truth...no other explanation needed .

Was Karac the son of Shirley or her sister Maureen, I was trying to look him up?

I had always heard that it was an infection as well, but sometimes infections in one place can easily turn into septicemia or even meningitis in the last stages. In any event, it was certainly a sad thing for Plant to have to go through.

Robert Plant was married to Maureen,and it was her son and Roberts,

he was on tour when the news broke, and he was as people can imagine

completely shattered.

Robert Plants son Karac, died from a stomach infection..

At the time it was actually announced as a "virus" a "stomach infection" and even a "flu". I totally understand why clearer details were never given - what business is it of ours? - but I wondered where snapper had gotten his precise description as in all the years since it happened I don't believe I had ever read or heard it attributed in that way. That was the reason behind my query.

Archived