Suggest entry level Album

Driver8

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can suggest a Led Zeppelin album for someone who doesn't own any but has heard a couple of interesting songs? I am looking for something different from a Greatest Hits album, but an album that is representative of their most creative period and that probably contains, or doesn't contain Stairway to Heaven.

I am trying to avoid buying an average album you know, if maybe I was interested in Metallica someone would say don't buy St. Anger, or Around the Sun for R.E.M., Pablo Honey if it was Radiohead.

If there's an existing topic for this please don't hesitate to refer me to that. Thank you for your help.

I'd suggest Physical Graffiti. It's a double album that has my personal favorite song "Kashmir" and has a lot of variety. You can't go wrong with the fourth album or Houses of the Holy either, but I feel if you were to get one album that best represents the power and creativity of Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti would be it.

Edited by cheesehead1204

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can suggest a Led Zeppelin album for someone who doesn't own any but has heard a couple of interesting songs? I am looking for something different from a Greatest Hits album, but an album that is representative of their most creative period and that probably contains, or doesn't contain Stairway to Heaven.

I am trying to avoid buying an average album you know, if maybe I was interested in Metallica someone would say don't buy St. Anger, or Around the Sun for R.E.M., Pablo Honey if it was Radiohead.

If there's an existing topic for this please don't hesitate to refer me to that. Thank you for your help.

Physical Graffiti was the first Led Zeppelin album I properly experienced, so it worked for me ! :)

I can still remember hearing the drum intro to The Rover for the first time and my friend saying to me, "It's good isn't it?!" before any other instruments kicked in.

That was in 1983 and to this day it's still one of my favourite tracks.

Have a listen and see what you think. :)

http://youtu.be/_JybkqBGrVs

Physical Graffiti. There's a better than average chance your friend has heard the radio songs from IV, and I think the songs on Physical Graffiti are a better representation of their talent as a whole. Besides, they themselves have said that Kashmir is their best song, and you can find it on that album.

Here was a thread that we talked about this. IMHO, no matter which one you buy it will lead you to all the others:-) Everyone has great ideas and this is just my opinion, but if you start with the first and continue on you will really get a feel as to how they went through many musical directions. Welcome to the forum Driver8. Let us know which one you decided to purchase first :D

Of course you could start with the 1st album and go through the remaining ones in order. But, that wouldn't be the gist of this thread...how about going and get yourself a copy of Led Zeppelin II. This is the album that knocked Abbey Road of the top of the charts. From what I've read it was mainly recorded while the band was on the road touring, and they grabbed whatever studio time they could in whatever city they happened to be in at the time. Great record, guitar riff heavy, Plant wailing, blues, drum solo, Heartbreaker..."The Brown Bomber" will not disappoint.

I would say that starting with any of them will get the job done but I will agree with some of the above and say that Physical Graffiti is the way to go. It shows the band going in different, and very creative directions. It's my favorite album overall, but I also feel it represents the band at the very peak of their musical life.

I think that you will not be disappointed in whatever you get, though. It's hard when it's Zeppelin's music you're listening to.

• 1 month later...

To be honest I would say get the first 6 albums/CD. There really is no entry level to Zep. Also I think HTWWW DVD that's all you really need.

Download From Presence -Nobody's Fault but mine/For you life. ITTOutdoor- Fool in the Rain/Im' gonna Crawl/Carasoulabra/Al of my love.

Then on to Bootlegs.

That's my take basically.

I agree with the album most people here suggest:

Physical Graffiti

Why:

Because of several reasons.....

It is a double album, so you have a lot of music to listen to.

The album has the greatest amount of different vibes on it, from subtle acoustic, to brutal riffy music. Eastern influences to downright rock and roll from spaced out vibes to bluesy, it's all there.....lots of different moodswings which Zeppelin could all transmit.

Since it all wasn't recorded at the same time you can hear the different tonal qualities of Robert Plant over some years (They used some quite old outtakes as filler tracks from the time when Robert's voice was a bit higher).

Hope this will help.

Rock on!

Edited by reswati