Hurricane Irene

zepps_apprentice

Hi all,

Thanks KB. We'll see what happens. As many have been saying in reports on the Hurricane it will take less to take trees down with shallow roots, but most especially with this over saturated ground we have now in the northeast.

Anytime SuperDave! Stay safe!

Hurricane Party tomorrow at my place,...BYOB! :P

KB

↑ Same here in Brooklyn (NYC) so far. A bit too calm. ::unsurre:

↓ Our rain comes & goes. Having a coupla Corona's right now (small bottles, no lime twists around) :P

Edited by Fan_S.

Right now where I am on Long Island (about 20 miles east of NYC) it's just a very light rain & not much of a wind at this time but the main part of the storm is still hours away.

Wondering how the forum members here in NC & Virginia are doing..... hope they're ok

And to everyone else along the coast & New England- stay safe.

Have a steady rain here now. Sometimes light or moderate, with winds around 10-15 mph with higher gust up to around 20 mph or so.

They seem to be worried about some of the Westchester County coastal towns such as Mamaroneck, Rye and Port Chester which could have big problems with the storm. Basically they said it was the Post Road towns. This road goes through my town as well. Won't say how close since this a forum. But I live on upper ground and away from any body of water threat.

Just looking at the weather map and there are some real heavy rain bands in Northern New Jersey and south of Long Island. Probably the beginning where the weather heads south for us.

Edited by SuperDave

i been up early watching the news and its very interesting to see a hurricane get all political now, on top of modern day news worthy and f-ing commercial. yes i know its about safety, but this media coverage scared the crap out of alot of folks for seemingly nothing so far. its down to a category 1 storm and may even be a tropical storm by the time it hits the tri state area. we will all see, but this could have been a big over reaction...in regards to timing, but also goes to show how fast it all occurs and how in a place like, new york areas like, brooklyn, queens, nassau and suffolk counties cannot just be evacuated even to inland areas easily.

when it comes to the map...i hope local and city and state govts, whatever, collect data on this whole thing.

i think folks just are sort of used to that initial getting overwhelmed from the news and then just trying to decipher it, which is a weird process when you think about it. but really, one will never be able to tell a real emergency from a media induced one i would think, after seeing this and real things ya know.

I hope you're right Middlezep, but this storm has already done a lot of damage in NC and VA. I heard of areas in NC that have had at least 17" of rain so far. Too many people just pay attention to the wind in hurricanes as water causes more damage than anything with rainfall amounts and storm surge. But it depends where you are. If you're away from harm from a body of water than it might not be quite as bad. I too worry about the winds more, having so many large trees around. The storm surge won't factor in to the severity of this storm where I live, being a bit on higher ground.

The rain is getting heavier with 15-20 mph sustained winds now. This will be a long event and that's what they are warning us about. Not the maximum sustained winds, but the prolonged period of which we can receive tropical force winds or more, which is about 21 hours. Most of these tropical systems will blow through in less than half this time. That's where the problem lies.

hey...listen...superdave, i am not just sayin a one off line there against the decisions of government there. i mean i was laughing when -chris christie said, get the hell off the beach over in -new jersey too,watching the news over the last couple days. i am just saying, seen hurricanes, walked through water, seen hurricanes after snowfalls as some folks here on south shore of long island know and new york city news, never gets the high tides right for us on the south shore of long island....i mean its notoriously wrong....for all our lives, everyone i know and talk too...so whatever. i seriously think that after seeing -katrina in louisiana, that everyone is now super aware of how impassable deep water is.

I know what you mean Middlezep. Christie is a bit vocal, (as you don't usually hear your politicians, whatever their position is, be this adamant about something like this) but at the same time he doesn't want to take chances as he's closed down a lot of NJ transit and the Garden State Parkway from exit 98 on south. It's always politics in some way when these things are involved, but at the same time, they seem to be doing the right thing by taking a lot of precautions and putting safety first with this intense storm.

Edited by SuperDave

ahhh, chris get the hell off the beach chistie is great and i would love to see him run for president next cycle around, or next, but i tell ya, i heard from my neighbor whos son capts a commercial fishing boat out of montauk...they had to tie the boat up in cape may and they cant buy beer and chris christie shut down the sale of beer in a state of hurricane...now what they hell is that about. haha.

He shut alcohol sales down in restaurants at 8 pm tonight. I guess he's telling you to stay at home and have your drinks there.

Torrential rains here now with sustained winds in the 25-30 mph range with gusts around 40. Will only get worse. The worst part of the storm they say will be here around 7-10 am. Getting bad out there.