The roots of Zeppelin

There have been various cds featuring artists and songs that helped to provide the roots of Zeppelin. I thought we could put a collection together here.

This is meant out of respect to the artists who came before. I do not own this music. This is intended to be a celebration of the music.

Here's a couple...

Otis Rush, I Can't Quit You Babe

Rtichie Valens, Ooh My Head

I Can't Quit You Baby is very similar to Zep's studio version, although the band really changes it on the live versions. Especially, in the early tour dates of 1970. Some of their best performances ever on any song in their career!

Rosie and the Originals is just a tribute on the liner notes of The Crunge on Houses.

The opening drum solo of Little Richard's song is a bit similar, but not exact. Certainly an influence there, but not stolen for sure.

I Can't Quit You Baby is very similar to Zep's studio version, although the band really changes it on the live versions. Especially, in the early tour dates of 1970. Some of their best performances ever on any song in their career!

Rosie and the Originals is just a tribute on the liner notes of The Crunge on Houses.

The opening drum solo of Little Richard's song is a bit similar, but not exact. Certainly an influence there, but not stolen for sure.

nope D'yer maker

This thread reminds me of that really cool documentary that I watched a couple of months ago, going by the same name! B) Thanks to that documentary, I literally fell in love with the blues! :wub:

Here is a song which I think belongs in this thread. It is called "Dog Me Around" by the legendary Howlin' Wolf! :D The song "How Many More Times" does kind of remind me of this song for some reason! Maybe, I'm wrong, but what the heck! It's a cool tune, nevertheless! B)

i like the way Strange Sensation went back to Leadbelly for their take on the intro

This one has a lot of history...

I've enjoyed Plant's introductions of this song on the P/P tour.

...on widipedia apparetnly the lyrical theme of a maid pleading with the hangman for a bribe (gold) is an old folk theme. Also, it says the reference to "gold" may not mean actual gold for a bribe, but may instead stand for the symbolic restoration of the maid's honor, perhaps by proof of her innocence or fidelity.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived