GOODBYE, FAREWELL AND AMEN: Harry Morgan Dies...

Strider

Farewell Colonel Potter and Officer Bill Gannon...RIP

That's right, Harry Morgan, the beloved actor who was part of two of the 20th century's most iconic television shows, "Dragnet" and "M*A*S*H", died yesterday(Wednesday Dec. 7) from pneumonia. He was 96.

You had to be living under a rock in the 70s not to be aware of "M*A*S*H, easily one of the most successful TV series ever...compared to MASH, "Friends" was a mere trifle. Harry Morgan's role of Col. Potter on the show(replacing Maclean Stevenson's Lt. Col. Henry Blake) was one of my favourite characters of the entire series.

And if you are, say, 48 or older, there's a good chance you also remember Harry Morgan as LAPD Officer Bill Gannon from the TV show "Dragnet", where he was partner to Jack Webb's Sgt. Joe Friday.

For you younger kids, he also appeared on "The Simsons".

A real class act.

Read his obituary here: http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-harry-morgan-20111115,0,5809818.story

I have lots of fond memories of both M*A*S*H* and Dragnet as well as Harry Morgan's roles in tons of other television shows and feature length films. He had some mighty big shoes to fill on M*A*S*H* as far as filling the void left by McLean Stevenson ("Henry Blake" on the program). In so doing, it took the show in more of a dramatic direction than a comedic one but it remained a top notch program full of outstanding writing and acting. That was no small task in and of itself.

Jahfin & Strider, both of you stated it perfectly. This show made you laugh and cry. I was an avid watcher and own a few DVD's of the shows series. I remember the final show we had a MASH farewell party with about 50 people and there was not a dry eye in the room.

RIP Harry Morgan

Jahfin & Strider, both of you stated it perfectly. This show made you laugh and cry. I was an avid watcher and own a few DVD's of the shows series. I remember the final show we had a MASH farewell party with about 50 people and there was not a dry eye in the room.

RIP Harry Morgan

oh yes, the final show was amazing. the other one i remember the most was when henry blake left and radar had to tell them all the news .....

oh yes, the final show was amazing. the other one i remember the most was when henry blake left and radar had to tell them all the news .....

Even though I've seen that episode hundreds of times by now, I still get choked up when Radar walks into the OR with the untimely news about Henry Blake. There's no finer testament to just how well that program was made.

Hi slave to zep!!

I know...here it is...I actually met Radar at a gas station in Slidell, Louisiana one night and we talked for about 5 minutes. I'll never forget that. My friends and I could not believe we met him and he talked with us. Very kind man.

jahfin : yes, you are right. sometimes it's what is NOT said .....

deborah : thankyou! it still makes me feel so sad when i watch that .... and how wonderful that you met radar, i just knew he would be like that in real life. i think he was an amazing actor, yet haven't seen him in anything else. i suppose he was in other things, but mash is all i have seen of him.

Farewell Colonel Potter and Officer Bill Gannon...RIP

That's right, Harry Morgan, the beloved actor who was part of two of the 20th century's most iconic television shows, "Dragnet" and "M*A*S*H", died yesterday(Wednesday Dec. 7) from pneumonia. He was 96.

You had to be living under a rock in the 70s not to be aware of "M*A*S*H, easily one of the most successful TV series ever...compared to MASH, "Friends" was a mere trifle. Harry Morgan's role of Col. Potter on the show(replacing Maclean Stevenson's Lt. Col. Henry Blake) was one of my favourite characters of the entire series.

And if you are, say, 48 or older, there's a good chance you also remember Harry Morgan as LAPD Officer Bill Gannon from the TV show "Dragnet", where he was partner to Jack Webb's Sgt. Joe Friday.

For you younger kids, he also appeared on "The Simsons".

A real class act.

Read his obituary here: http://www.latimes.c...0,5809818.story

They don't make 'em like that anymore. Thank you so much for posting this, Strider. Harry Morgan's death was discussed in my home this evening.

To the 'Greatest Generation'.

^^^You're welcome planted. Got good news today...will message you the test results later. I'm going out to the movies tonight...I know, what are the odds, haha!

I liked him as Henry Fonda's sidekick in 'The Ox-Bow Incident' (1943).

R.I.P. Colonel.

Yes indeed, redrum, besides essaying his memorable television roles, Harry Morgan had an extensive filmography, which you can find on IMDB or Wikipedia. The Ox-Bow Incident, The Big Clock, High Noon, Dark City, How the West Was Won...and plenty more.

I especially loved three he did in the 60s, and which would be aired often on TV throughout the 70s growing up: WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?; SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF!; and SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER!

These movies always had me cracking up. Good times, man.

I had mentioned this in the favorite tv shows thread but I guess he really deserves a thread of his own to pay respect to Harry Morgan aka Colonel Potter aka Officer Bill Gannon. I am old enough to remember him in Dragnet.

RIP

Only thing I don't like about M*A*S*H* reruns (or reruns in general) is how they've all been chopped up to make room for more commercials. I also have a tendency to tune into episodes I've seen hundreds of times before rather than the ones I haven't seen as much. Someday I hope to own the M*A*S*H* box set but from what I've read, it's very poorly packaging and it's easy to scratch the DVDs.

Even though I've seen that episode hundreds of times by now, I still get choked up when Radar walks into the OR with the untimely news about Henry Blake. There's no finer testament to just how well that program was made.

But that scene seems difficult to believe, would they actually have permitted somebody to enter an operating room with such a disturbing announcement? - imagine the poor folks on those operating tables!

But that scene seems difficult to believe, would they actually have permitted somebody to enter an operating room with such a disturbing announcement? - imagine the poor folks on those operating tables!

Considering Radar was usually the news bearer (both good and bad), I don't think there was anyone to stop him. Plus, I'm sure the scene was played out in that manner for the most dramatic effect possible. As for keeping it realistic in general, the writers went to great lengths to consult with surgeons in order to recreate the actual techniques used during "meatball" surgery. Even that wasn't always accurate but at least they went to the trouble of trying to make those scenes in the series as realistic as possible. I believe that aspect of M*A*S*H* was covered at length during one of the reunion shows, which was basically a roundtable discussion with the cast, crew and others.

It was a friggin' war zone, not a tea party...normal regulations that you would get at a Stateside hospital didn't apply at MASH units.

Plus, when you're writing for the stage or screen, there are times when you will sacrifice a little realism in favour of dramatic effect.

But like Jahfin noted, the makers of MASH went to great lengths to keep it as realistic as possible.

I only got into MASH during reruns but I thought that Maclain Stevenson was a much funnier actor. I liked Harry Morgan's charcter too, but after he was convicted of beating his wife I lost interest in him. There is never any excuse for hitting a woman or an animal.

I didn't realize that he was almost 100 years old.

Agreed, the show was not nearly as entertaining without Col. Blake, Trapper, and Frank Burns.

MASH was a political statement against the Vietnam war and not much more when viewed in context. The writers injected way too much of their poltical views and sappy comedy schtick to make this TV show "realistic" in any imaginable way. There were great performances and even entertaining scripts, but the constantly over the top anti war theme appeared to be the only thing that the creaters of this show cared about. Such lack of balance could never make this a serious comment on what was going on in the world at the time.

I know all about the context of MASH...I read the book, saw the Robert Altman movie and watched the show growing up.

Leaving all questions of political and war issues aside, what Jahfin and I were referring to was the effort the tv show made to be as "medically" realistic as possible.

Agreed, the show was not nearly as entertaining without Col. Blake, Trapper, and Frank Burns.

Here here, I definitely preferred Trapper to BJ and Frank Burns to David Ogden Stiers. The show did tend to get sappier in the later years...Alan Alda almost became insufferable. The feminists LOVED him.

And poor Hot Lips...after Burns was gone, they could never quite figure out what to do with Loretta Swit.

Archived