Led Zeppelin Opening Bands/Zep Years

PlanetPage

....It would be great to Honor the Musicians/Every Opening Band who shared Stage with Zeppelin, big or small....to hear their stories, their music, how they played with Zep, etc....

Here is one from Tonight's Entry from Jimmy Page This Day....

Larry Easter from Linn County, June 2005 - Led Zeppelin story:

Grande Ballroom, Detroit with Led Zeppelin, 18th January, 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb20eXa_Pig

Cave Song - Linn County Band

I wish Viv Stanshall could have been interviewed. I can't imagine what it was like, the Bonzo Dog Band opening for Led Zeppelin's um-teenth U.S. Tour in 1971... not like that was their closest brush with stardom, mind you. But Viv was one of the last Great British Eccentrics...

I wish Viv Stanshall could have been interviewed. I can't imagine what it was like, the Bonzo Dog Band opening for Led Zeppelin's um-teenth U.S. Tour in 1971... not like that was their closest brush with stardom, mind you. But Viv was one of the last Great British Eccentrics...

I wondered the same. They also opened for them at the Fillmore West in 1969 and attended a party together in London. Where it was said they were all well behaved. :D The closest I have ever read about Viv talking about them, or Jimmy is from Chris Welch's book on Viv called Ginger Geezer. Chris Welch was talking about how he was trying to interview a drunk Viv at a pub.

"Saw Jimmy Page the other week. He's been reading Aliester Crowley. He asked me to give you a message. Come to Pangbourne Abbey where the law is enforced."

Viv said, "Tell Jimmy the cream of the owl will be poured on the Bishop's touser leg."

Not that I know what neither means, but it is sadly the only place where I have seen them have some exhange.

Edited by aen27

....It would be great to Honor the Musicians/Every Opening Band who shared Stage with Zeppelin, big or small....to hear their stories, their music, how they played with Zep, etc....

Here is one from Tonight's Entry from Jimmy Page This Day....

Cave Song - Linn County Band

Thank you for starting this thread, PlanetPage. Here is a story about Mike Quashie, the "King of Limbo" and fire dancer who performed at LZ's 1973 MSG show. I remember hearing that Jimmy came forth, decades later, and donated an autographed guitar to help defray some of the cost of Mike's medical care during his later years.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/03/12/nyregion/1247467333943/in-limbo-until-a-startling-reunion.html?WT.mc_id=NY-SM-E-VM-SM-VID-ILU-031610-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

....Thank You Sam, Walter Walker, AEN27, and MSG for such wonderful and informative (never heard before) stories.....it is truly fascinating to hear from artists who had good fortune to be around the mighty Zep...

MSG, that video about Mike Quashie is really touching and warm beyond words.....Here is an article from New York Times: Mike Quashie recalls Zeppelin days and Jimmy Page donating guitar.....

Limbo King Finds a New Home and an Old Friend

By COREY KILGANNON

Published: March 13, 2010

http://query.nytimes...750C0A9669D8B63

....and Bonzo's Dog Band, they do have an autobiography, I wonder if there are further details, if anyone has read this book...

tks. AEN27 for that bit of excerpt...

Bonzo Dog - Keynsham....

Edited by PlanetPage

....Thank You Sam, Walter Walker, AEN27, and MSG for such wonderful and informative (never heard before) stories.....it is truly fascinating to hear from artists who had good fortune to be around the mighty Zep...

MSG, that video about Mike Quashie is really touching and warm beyond words.....Here is an article from New York Times: Mike Quashie recalls Zeppelin days and Jimmy Page donating guitar.....

Limbo King Finds a New Home and an Old Friend

By COREY KILGANNON

Published: March 13, 2010

http://query.nytimes...750C0A9669D8B63

....and Bonzo's Dog Band, they do have an autobiography, I wonder if there are further details, if anyone has read this book...

tks. AEN27 for that bit of excerpt...

Bonzo Dog - Keynsham....

You're welcome, PlanetPage...and thanks again for this interesting thread. I found the video of Mike Quashie very touching and warm too. It was so lovely to hear about Mike's chance meeting and reunion with his dancer.

Thanks for the article about Jimmy donating a guitar for Mike - I think that was a wonderful thing for him to do...Jimmy has made other similar generous gestures but as he's very quiet about them, we rarely hear about them.

You're welcome, PlanetPage...and thanks again for this interesting thread. I found the video of Mike Quashie very touching and warm too. It was so lovely to hear about Mike's chance meeting and reunion with his dancer.

Thanks for the article about Jimmy donating a guitar for Mike - I think that was a wonderful thing for him to do...Jimmy has made other similar generous gestures but as he's very quiet about them, we rarely hear about them.

...very welcome MSG; - here is another video of Mike Quashie - similar to the one your posted earlier (I think the link is gone in your original post) - here in this video

Mike Quashie/Report talk about Led Zeppelin and others...

...very welcome MSG; - here is another video of Mike Quashie - similar to the one your posted earlier (I think the link is gone in your original post) - here in this video

Mike Quashie/Report talk about Led Zeppelin and others...

Thanks for this video. Oh, I love to hear him talk about that LZ concert!

I think my link may be gone now because the NYT might not allow embedding of its videos. I edited it to put a direct link rather than embedding.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/03/12/nyregion/1247467333943/in-limbo-until-a-startling-reunion.html?WT.mc_id=NY-SM-E-VM-SM-VID-ILU-031610-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click

Thanks for this video. Oh, I love to hear him talk about that LZ concert!

I think my link may be gone now because the NYT might not allow embedding of its videos. I edited it to put a direct link rather than embedding.

http://video.nytimes...&WT.mc_ev=click

...MSG - this sure is special...I can only imagine what it means to you and Mike being there in that special moment in time...all of you so lucky...

...MSG - this sure is special...I can only imagine what it means to you and Mike being there in that special moment in time...all of you so lucky...

I still feel lucky to have been there for that special moment in time, PlanetPage....ridiculously so - just hearing Mike talk about it make my heart flutter. I've never taken for granted how fortunate I was...

• 4 weeks later...

...Fantasy, Local House Band.... Opening for Led Zeppelin February 14/15, 1969...Thee Image, Miami, Florida...

...Review from the Official Timeline this day....

http://www.ledzeppel...87#comment-4887

...Stoned Cowboy...Fantasy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ohtfyqcurg

Edited by PlanetPage

That's my video! I'm good friends with Larry and a few of the others. I was married to the daughter of their manager at the time. What a good bunch of guys they were and they had a good run back in the day.

Edited by dazedjeffy

That's my video! I'm good friends with Larry and a few of the others. I was married to the daughter of their manager at the time. What a good bunch of guys they were and they had a good run back in the day.

...Thanks Dazedjeffy...this is a wonderful confirmation as it can be...I truly enjoyed this video, such warm story they shared and Jimmy recollects also to date...

....Here is anoter Opening Band that has been discussed much at the Official SIte....Grand Funk Railroad....

They opening dates for Led Zeppelin at major festivals and cities here in their link as well as the Offiiclal Timeline....

http://home.comcast....rchive_1969.pdf

..and encounter with Peter Grant (mighty!) something like this?!!!

Grand Funk Railroad History.... Part 2/5....

Grand Funk Railroad History ...Part 1/5....opening for Zep...

Grand Funk Railroad at Pirates World, Dania, Florida, Into The Sun 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dzlT1ihN6o

...and the last word still belongs to the Mighty Zeppelin... :yesnod:

Edited by PlanetPage

• 7 years later...

Regarding the date of 2/2/69 Toronto, ON when Led Zeppelin played The Rock Pile venue with opening act Mary Lou Horner, which is mentioned in this Dec 2007 Toronto Star article here.

Mary Lou Horner was the house band at The Rock Pile venue that played country-rock and also was the support band for other acts such as John Lee Hooker and Chuck Berry.

Canadian songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and producer Ben Mink was the guitarist in the group.

Below is a couple of photos from Ben's website.

Photo 1
Photo 2

Ben Mink has performed with lesser known Canadian music acts throughout the 1970's, including a stint with Canadian progressive-rock band FM.

Original founding member of FM; the late Nash The Slash (electric violin, electric mandolin, and vocals), was also in the audience at the Led Zeppelin concert according to this archived post here. Mink replaced Nash in FM later on.

FM also recorded a techno-rock cover version of 'Shapes of Things' by The Yardbirds.

FM also opened for RUSH in the late 70's (Permanent Waves "Semi-tour and some of the Hemispheres" Warm-up Tour) and early 80's (Permanent Waves Proper Tour and Moving Pictures Tour).

Later on Mink collaborated with k.d. lang, and co-wrote the Grammy Award winning song 'Constant Craving'.

Ben was also producer of Heart founder Ann Wilson's 2007 solo album Hope & Glory. Included on the album is a cover of 'Immigrant Song', which charted as "the #9 most podcasted song of 2007" on the PMC Top10's annual countdown.

Then Ben produced Heart's latest two albums Red Velvet Car (2010) and Fanatic (2012).

Edited by RushFanForever