Did you know?

O2London

Did you know that two songs of Led Zeppelin are interesting enough to write a doctoral dissertation on them?

Aaron Liu-Rosenbaum, a doctoral student at the City University of New York, published, in 2009, his doctoral dissertation entitled: ““A Kind of Construction in Light and Shade”: An Analytical Dialogue with Recording Studio Aesthetics in Two Songs by Led Zeppelin”.

The two songs under study are “When the Levee Breaks” and “Stairway to Heaven”. If you want to learn more, I attached a 24 page free preview...

What do you think about that?

Personally, I am very happy to see that somebody else chose Led Zeppelin for a scientific research! I, too, have chosen to study Led Zeppelin in my doctoral dissertation, and I am in the field of consumer behavior, not music.

Contrary to Aaron Liu-Rosenbaum, my dissertation is not yet finished… So, if you are interested to participate, just click here: https://www.surveymo.../s/Led_Zeppelin

Doctoral dissertation on two Led Zeppelin songs - Preview.pdf

Wow, pretty interesant. But I'd rather not to take a Led Zeppelin matter for a doctoral dissertation, I couldn't see their music as a way to relax when I'm tired of working on it...! Only maybe some kind of essay, not so exhaustive. It could be very motivating though.

I already made the questionary :)

When I listen to Led Zep music know, I have, say, 1 minute of disconfort because I think about my dissertation, about work. But, after that, I go deep into the music and I enjoy.

I don't enjoy less, but it's sure I listen to Led Zeppelin music less often because of my dissertation.

But my work is much more motivating and people are often susprised and sometime don't find that it's very serious. But there are wrong. It's very serious...

I think its about time Zep's music is analyzed like this because i think they really don't get enough credit for the overall complexity of their music. Sure everyone understands Stairway is a build up to the last 2 minutes but when you really look at it from a musical perspective, you see quite a lot of intricacy in how they developed each part.

At the very begining of chapter 1, the author writed that When the Levees Break is "an adaptation of the blues song by Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie".

In fact, the dissertation was about the "acoustic properties of the recordings, that is, where the instruments are situated within the stereo sound field; how they are timbrally manipulated with effects such as reverb, echo, distortion, and chorus; their relative levels of prominence; and how these factors interact to create meaning in the song" (Aaron Liu-Rosenbaum).

I asked myself why choosing “When the Levee Breaks” and “Stairway to Heaven” ? I got the response :

"These songs were selected not only because they in many ways epitomize (represent) the music of

Led Zeppelin, but also because their several and deep levels of meaning"

But I think a lot of Led Zeppelin have several and deep levels of meaning. So, I don't really understand this choice...

Archived