Father Shoots His Daughter’s Laptop For Posting a Mean Comment About Him on Facebook

TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

He may have said that it was by accident Strider but I have my doubts about the truth in that. He reminds me of the type of guy that want's to show how much in control he is when in fact, it's the complete opposite that's true. Anywho, like someone said, opinions vary.

BTW, I happen to agree that in any family, there have to be standards to live up to, rules and consequences for breaking those rules. I was never my son's best friend but, I was alway's the first person they could come to no matter what manner of shit they'd gotten themselves into. That didn't mean they didn't have to answer for it, it just means that they knew there wasn't much they could throw at me that I hadn't done myself when I was young. Thankfully, they were much better son's to their mother than I ever was to mine

Thankfully, they were much better son's to their mother than I ever was to mine

And that's credit to you, Ally.

By the way, I don't know what happened to the end of my post but it somehow got lost in transmission...and now I can't remember what I wrote anyway.

That said, I am aware that it is a delicate line a parent has to tread. You want them to respect your authority and know YOU are the boss of the household but also that they can come to you whenever in distress. You want to be firm in your rules yet also compassionate and caring...you don't want to give off the vibe that you're so stern that you'll fly off the handle at the slightest provocation.

That's where I think this Facebook dad failed. What's gonna happen if his daughter accidentally gets pregnant or starts having issues at school or with her friends? Is she going to be afraid to come to her dad because she fears he'll whip out the gun again and shoot up the place?

And that's credit to you, Ally.

By the way, I don't know what happened to the end of my post but it somehow got lost in transmission...and now I can't remember what I wrote anyway.

That said, I am aware that it is a delicate line a parent has to tread. You want them to respect your authority and know YOU are the boss of the household but also that they can come to you whenever in distress. You want to be firm in your rules yet also compassionate and caring...you don't want to give off the vibe that you're so stern that you'll fly off the handle at the slightest provocation.

That's where I think this Facebook dad failed. What's gonna happen if his daughter accidentally gets pregnant or starts having issues at school or with her friends? Is she going to be afraid to come to her dad because she fears he'll whip out the gun again and shoot up the place?

Exactly where I'm coming from ! Not so much because of the gun but because she may feel that she can't trust him

While I can see why parents would want to do what he did - its was over the top in the end he did exactly what he wanted her not to do. He needs to be the example - getting back at your children is really not the best way to handle the situation.

In my opinion he over reacted to what kids have been doing since there have been kids on the planet. Kids have always complained about parents and chores. The thing is before there was an internet it was all in a diary or to their friends. I have 2 kids and I would never stand for either one of my kids to speak to me that way. But I'd put money on it that they've complained to each other and their friends about me when I pulled rank. They probably complained on Facebook too lol! Oh well lol! Kids are going to do that! And parents are well aware of it lol! It's just one of those things! Let them complain! Rules are rules no matter what. In my opinion he could have pulled rank and the plug on her laptop just as easily as he had a shooting tantrum all over it.

If you watched the video and read the description, he clearly says that he came across her posts by accident when he was upgrading her computer. He wasn't snooping around on her Facebook page...for one thing, she had her Facebook blocked to her parents, so he wouldn't have been able to see it anyway.

Like I said before, it's not just the childish way he dealt with this that I have a problem with, it's that he did it in such a public way. It's like the assholes that beat their kids in the grocery store.

Besides, it would have been more constructive, and of more benefit, if he had donated her computer to a school or a charity for underprivileged kids, instead of wasting both bullets and computer by shooting it. Oh, and I have no problem with guns...owning a gun doesn't automatically make one a wacko redneck. That's a tired stereotype.

Unless you live in Texas. Hahaha...just kidding...don't send the posse after me MissMelanie!

And people need to get off planted's back. You are OVERREACTING to her use of the word "fear". She didn't mean it in the way Major Major and others are taking it. All she meant was that a child that doesn't respect her parents will often get in more trouble than one who does. For with respect, there is a litte "fear". For the child when faced with the possibility of misbehaving will think twice before doing so, if that child knows there will be consequences if caught.

A parent is supposed to be the parent, not BFFs. You're not doing your job right if your teenager doesn't get mad at you every once in a while. That's the natural order of things...parents place linits on their child's life and the child tests and rebels at those limits.

But I can tell you in my life's experience, the children that grew up the most fucked up, the sons who became unemployed unambitious layabouts, the daughters who grew up to be drug-addled promiscuous whores, were the ones whose parents were the "best friends" type; the parents who didn't set limits and were lax in their discipline. The sons whose dads thought it was cool to drink and do drugs with them; the daughters who had mothers that tried to dress and talk like them and compete for boy's attentions.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

ALBEMARLE, N.C. — The North Carolina father who retaliated for his teenage daughter’s Facebook outburst by shooting her laptop had a surprise.

Tommy Jordan told 15-year-old Hannah on Wednesday he saved the computer’s hard drive where her photos and other data were stored before emptying nine shots into the computer and recording it on video.

Archived