Father Shoots His Daughter’s Laptop For Posting a Mean Comment About Him on Facebook

TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Teenagers almost NEED to rebel, especially when their parents are a bit clueless like this yokel.

He may have used a gun to make his point but nothing about his manner struck me as the guy being a "yokel". He merely followed through with exactly what he told his daughter he would do.

I can't help but notice how many negative responses in this thread are from outside the US.

This family has grown up with guns.

The man using his .45 to destroy her laptop is no different to her than using a hammer, his boot, a baseball bat, whatever.

If it doesn't fit your personal idea of parenting, that doesn't make him wrong.

I can't help but notice how many negative responses in this thread are from outside the US.

This family has grown up with guns.

The man using his .45 to destroy her laptop is no different to her than using a hammer, his boot, a baseball bat, whatever.

If it doesn't fit your personal idea of parenting, that doesn't make him wrong.

with respect, typo, growing up with something doesn't always make it right.

this guy may well be very responsible ( usually ) with his gun (s), but accidents happen, and i just cant believe the way they are so common over there. "guns don't kill, people do " blah blah blah .... someone has to pull the bloody trigger, and sometimes it's NOT a responsible adult.

all i'm saying is, I HATE GUNS! i'm sure there have been many accidents/murders that have taken place because a gun was " handy". once fired, it can't be taken back.

i know this doesn't have all that much to do with this particular incident, but i hate the gun culture your country ( seems ) to have.

Major, with all due respect I don't think legally owning a firearm equates to incest or physical abuse. I realize there's a vast cultural difference in how people view this and that's fine. I've never owned a firearm of any kind myself but it's legal to do in the States and the vast majority of those who own tend to be responsible and safe with them.

You're trying to compare a legal right to obvious illegal and immoral activity. To me it's not the same thing at all.

Respectfully submitted........

Major, with all due respect I don't think legally owning a firearm equates to incest or physical abuse. I realize there's a vast cultural difference in how people view this and that's fine. I've never owned a firearm of any kind myself but it's legal to do in the States and the vast majority of those who own tend to be responsible and safe with them.

You're trying to compare a legal right to obvious illegal and immoral activity. To me it's not the same thing at all.

:goodpost:

with respect, typo, growing up with something doesn't always make it right.

this guy may well be very responsible ( usually ) with his gun (s), but accidents happen, and i just cant believe the way they are so common over there. "guns don't kill, people do " blah blah blah .... someone has to pull the bloody trigger, and sometimes it's NOT a responsible adult.

all i'm saying is, I HATE GUNS! i'm sure there have been many accidents/murders that have taken place because a gun was " handy". once fired, it can't be taken back.

i know this doesn't have all that much to do with this particular incident, but i hate the gun culture your country ( seems ) to have.

Pretty much my point.

Your aversion / dislike of guns seems to override the actual facts of this non-story.

Some families grow up with incest and other physical abuse. Does the fact that that doesn't fit my personal idea of parenting mean that's not wrong either?

Analogy fail.

And a miserable fail, at that.

Surprised you would resort to such an obtuse "apples and oranges" comparison.

Truth is, it's actually closer to an "apples and parakeets" comparison.

Thanks, dazed - nail on the head.

Just for the record, I'm a Yankee born and bred and still living in New York. Guns may be more prevalent in the American South but they're up here too just like they are in the midwest, southwest, west coast, etc.

It's been acknowledged that it's a American Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, it's not just a "southern redneck thing". I choose not to but many do, that's how it is here. What gives gun ownership such a bad name is the occasional idiot that can't do the responsible thing or the street criminal who, trust me here, didn't choose the legal responsible path for ownership.

Agreed. I also don't own any firearms and don't want them however I detest sweeping generalizations of our country, i.e if you own a gun and live in the South then you must be a dumb redneck.

Only if you live in Texas! ;)

J/K

This young lady should have been put over her Daddy's knee a long time ago. She's 15?? Too late now. She has no respect for you. Children who grow up without a healthy fear of their parents become adults with no respect for authority and order.

I grew up with guns as the daughter of a police officer, and my father WOULD NEVER behave in such a way. And, I can tell you, he raised more than just his own kids. Think of teachers who had a positive impact on your life. Can you imagine this behavior?

We worry so much as parents about giving our kids heirlooms, and wills, and things...all that's fine and good. But, I have at least one adult child under my belt, and I can tell you there are 3 things you need to leave your kids, before anything else.

1) Healthy self-esteem

2) Respect for authority

3) Enthusiasm for life

You leave your kids those three things and not a dime, they will land on their feet.

You know what is so sobering to me, Mommy's and Daddy's?

You can't give your kids what you don't have.

typo, i do hate guns, but i was trying to say how that in the wrong hands, accidents and even murders are committed because of the ease of access to them, especially in the u.s.a. i also said that he may well have been a responsible user ( most of the time ), but it only took an incident on facebook for him to bring out the gun and use it.......

miss melanie, i am sorry if i offended you, did not intend to. i did put the word " seems " in brackets, as to the rest of the world ( or perhaps just here in australia ), the u.s.a. does seem to have a relaxed attitude to guns. and i don't see that as a good thing.

This young lady should have been put over her Daddy's knee a long time ago. She's 15?? Too late now. She has no respect for you. Children who grow up without a healthy fear of their parents become adults with no respect for authority and order.

I grew up with guns as the daughter of a police officer, and my father WOULD NEVER behave in such a way. And, I can tell you, he raised more than just his own kids. Think of teachers who had a positive impact on your life. Can you imagine this behavior?

We worry so much as parents about giving our kids heirlooms, and wills, and things...all that's fine and good. But, I have at least one adult child under my belt, and I can tell you there are 3 things you need to leave your kids, before anything else.

1) Healthy self-esteem

2) Respect for authority

3) Enthusiasm for life

You leave your kids those three things and not a dime, they will land on their feet.

very wise words there, planted! :notworthy:

The only thing wrong with this is, it's poor parenting as much as setting a bad example by wilfully destroying someone else's property, regardless of whether he gave it to her or not.

What if a fragment of the laptop or the bullet had've hit someone and injured or killed them?

Confiscating it would've been punishment enough.

Sounds like he has more money than sense.

I haven't watched the video and will not, the title of the thread was enough to convince me that this bloke needs to improve his skills as a father.

Just because he is giving away the proceeds from YouTube hits to charity doesn't condone his actions.

Silly in the extreme.

1) Healthy self-esteem

2) Respect for authority

3) Enthusiasm for life

Oh.My.God

Please tell me your joking!

What a load of complete and utter bollocks.

Oh, hi, Major Major! I don't think I've had the opportunity to meet you yet.

You know, the comment you regard as "a load of complete and utter buttocks" is one that was developed by me after some 20 years of child rearing, and falling flat on my face many times as a parent. My son has pulled some doozies....and I still keep my fingers crossed that I've done the best I could. Teenagers suck, no doubt about it.

And, I still continue to make mistakes while I raise this teenaged daughter of mine. There's no easy answer, but it seems to me Daddy's got some real issues. He's got to grow some thicker skin. How does he treat his supervisor during his annual review? Yikes. And, YouTube Dad, really? WOW....That kid is going to have a set of keys in her hand this time next year. What then? Is he going to shoot her car when she gets into her first fender bender or speeding ticket? He can't go back to reasoning and talking now. Way too late for that.

But, that's fine, call it like you see it.

Nice chatting! :)

Hi planted

Respect is one thing, fear is something entirely different. I would be appalled if any of my kids were in any way scared of me. One's parents are the last people one should have to fear, IMO. And having been a parent for 15 years, I think it's fair to say that my kids respect me, but in no way fear me. In fact, if they did fear me, I would consider myself to have failed as a parent.

IMO, if one is only able to inculcate respect via fear, one is not a good parent, merely a bully. Respect needs to be earned, not bludgeoned or automatically expected - not even by parents.

Cheers!

You hit nail..bully. That is EXACTLY the word I was looking for to describe this guy!

My earlier post may have contributed to this . Wasn't my intent. I was just trying to inject a little humour and at the same time, try to make people think back to the day's of their youth.

Anywho, the way I look at it, kid's from every generation have alway's vented to their friends. Facebook is just the method being commonly used these day's. TBH, unless her father has some serious concerns about her well being, he should never have been nosing into her buisness.

There is a difference between a teenager venting by talking it out with their freinds and posting something on facebook. Facebook is not the place for that IMO. And I think it is a parent's business to be nosing into what their kids are up to.

Planted....a set of keys in the hands of a teenager who has displayed irresponsible behavior is scary. My oldest daughter was no way ready for that and we did not allow her to have a driver license. She had to wait until she was 18. Driving is a privilege, not a right. I just didn't want to take the chance of her killing herself or others by hurdling one a half tons of metal and hot liquids down the road at excessive rates of speed. She did not like it at the time, but now that she is older with her own children, she understands.

There is a difference between a teenager venting by talking it out with their freinds and posting something on facebook. Facebook is not the place for that IMO. And I think it is a parent's business to be nosing into what their kids are up to.

Like I said, if a parent has real concerns about their childs well being then by all means, do what you have to do but IMHO, for everything else,I believe it's a case of too much unecessary info. I'll grant you that in this case, the girl was unwise to post her thoughts on FB but in doing so, it tell's me that she may not have felt comfortable enough to talk to her parents face to face. I'll say this, if my parents had ever invaded my privacy and made it public the way this father has, I'd never have trusted them again

There's a fine line when it comes to privacy. That was my first reaction, what was the father doing snooping around like that.......even though a parent should know what their kid is doing or posting. There ought to be some privacy afforded to the kid though, assuming the trust is there.

What the girl did though, posting her rant online on Facebook, well that takes down any barriers about privacy. If she had written her feelings in Word and had them stored on her hard drive, that's one thing. She posted it all online though, and to me that means the girl didn't really CARE about her privacy. Dad had justification at that point.

Opinions vary.........

There's a fine line when it comes to privacy. That was my first reaction, what was the father doing snooping around like that.......even though a parent should know what their kid is doing or posting. There ought to be some privacy afforded to the kid though, assuming the trust is there.

What the girl did though, posting her rant online on Facebook, well that takes down any barriers about privacy. If she had written her feelings in Word and had them stored on her hard drive, that's one thing. She posted it all online though, and to me that means the girl didn't really CARE about her privacy. Dad had justification at that point.

Opinions vary.........

If it was open for him to see then I would agree, she forfited her privacy rights. If he went looking because he was curious, then I say he was wrong to do so. FWIW, my son's are both in their 20's and I do have them as friends on FB but, I do not have their girlfriends as friends and that was a decision that I made and one that they totally understood. The reason ? Those gal's should be able to post whatever they wish without having their boyfriends father and in one case her future FIL privy to all that they say and think.Besides, I don't want to know and think it would just be down right creepy if I did

Well Ally, yeah when your kids are in their 20's they should be able to post whatever they wish. Mine are both in their early 30's and I have no idea what they post or where they do it, it's way beyond my control or really my concerns.

This girl was 15 though, that's really different don't you think?

Well Ally, yeah when your kids are in their 20's they should be able to post whatever they wish. Mine are both in their early 30's and I have no idea what they post or where they do it, it's way beyond my control or really my concerns.

This girl was 15 though, that's really different don't you think?

IMHO, only if her father had legitimate concerns about her well being. Hey, he may have had but, that didn't come across in the vid he posted and even if he was totally justified in checking her page out, it was something that I feel he should have handled privately with his daughter or as a family. I think he will and may already regret having handled things the way he did. If he's any kind of a man, he'll own up to it, address his concerns with his daughter and both of them will put it all down to a learning experience. I sincerely hope they do

If you watched the video and read the description, he clearly says that he came across her posts by accident when he was upgrading her computer. He wasn't snooping around on her Facebook page...for one thing, she had her Facebook blocked to her parents, so he wouldn't have been able to see it anyway.

Like I said before, it's not just the childish way he dealt with this that I have a problem with, it's that he did it in such a public way. It's like the assholes that beat their kids in the grocery store.

Besides, it would have been more constructive, and of more benefit, if he had donated her computer to a school or a charity for underprivileged kids, instead of wasting both bullets and computer by shooting it. Oh, and I have no problem with guns...owning a gun doesn't automatically make one a wacko redneck. That's a tired stereotype.

Unless you live in Texas. Hahaha...just kidding...don't send the posse after me MissMelanie!

And people need to get off planted's back. You are OVERREACTING to her use of the word "fear". She didn't mean it in the way Major Major and others are taking it. All she meant was that a child that doesn't respect her parents will often get in more trouble than one who does. For with respect, there is a litte "fear". For the child when faced with the possibility of misbehaving will think twice before doing so, if that child knows there will be consequences if caught.

A parent is supposed to be the parent, not BFFs. You're not doing your job right if your teenager doesn't get mad at you every once in a while. That's the natural order of things...parents place linits on their child's life and the child tests and rebels at those limits.

But I can tell you in my life's experience, the children that grew up the most fucked up, the sons who became unemployed unambitious layabouts, the daughters who grew up to be drug-addled promiscuous whores, were the ones whose parents were the "best friends" type; the parents who didn't set limits and were lax in their discipline. The sons whose dads thought it was cool to drink and do drugs with them; the daughters who had mothers that tried to dress and talk like them and compete for boy's attentions.

Archived