Whammy Pedal?

Jimmy is in a Musician magazine (circa 1991) ad for the WH-1 Whammy Pedal. I bought one because I though it was the effect he used on the last note of the "Heaven Knows" solo (Robert Plant/Now and Zen). It is now hard to find the original WH-1 and they tend to go for $300 or more on Ebay. I won't be selling mine anytime soon.

Jimmy Page endorsed the Roland guitar synth in 1982.

I think during Shake My Tree Jimmy was using Transperformance (IE a system which allows for automatic de-tuning and re-tuning of a guitar at the touch of a button - The Gold Top Les Paul with the row of buttons above the strings)

I was looking to see if he was using that LP during kashmir and he clearly wasn't, neither was he during Trampled Underfoot, it was deffo a Whammy Pedal.

Jimmy used several WH-1 whammy effects in the 1995 set, but not on Shake my Tree.

Now I realise I've played a guitar with one of those fitted but I was too afraid of it to mess with it. I had visions of the neck snapping or something...and it was somebody else's guitar, I guess.

Quite a scary device. No wonder the pedal has become the thing..

:-)

A whammy bar (or tremolo bar) is a mechanical device on the bridge of a guitar, you use your right hand to pull or push the strings up or down in pitch.

Now I realise I've played a guitar with one of those fitted but I was too afraid of it to mess with it. I had visions of the neck snapping or something...and it was somebody else's guitar, I guess.

Quite a scary device. No wonder the pedal has become the thing..

:-)

You might break the strings, but not the neck.

Some old Page whammy bar (not pedal) action can be heard on the solo in Hots on for Nowhere and the beginning of the In the Evening solo. On his Strats in the 80s he had the bar set so it could only go down, not up and down like Hendrix would do.

I think the only whammy bar guitar he had at 02 was his new LP Custom which has a Bigsby tremolo. These kind are hard to keep in tune, but he was only using it for one song so it wouldn't be much of a problem.

As for the Whammy pedal, I think he had two on his pedalboard at 02, on on the left and one on the right. That's what it looks like on this picture I borrowed, thanks to the kind photographer for posting it.

IMG_4666.jpg

You might break the strings, but not the neck.

Some old Page whammy bar (not pedal) action can be heard on the solo in Hots on for Nowhere and the beginning of the In the Evening solo. On his Strats in the 80s he had the bar set so it could only go down, not up and down like Hendrix would do.

I think the only whammy bar guitar he had at 02 was his new LP Custom which has a Bigsby tremolo. These kind are hard to keep in tune, but he was only using it for one song so it wouldn't be much of a problem.

As for the Whammy pedal, I think he had two on his pedalboard at 02, on on the left and one on the right. That's what it looks like on this picture I borrowed, thanks to the kind photographer for posting it.

IMG_4666.jpg

Where can we find other pics of the stage and Jimmy's gear?

Archived