Whammy Pedal?

On Nobodies Fault and Trampled Underfoot sounds like Jimmy was using a Whammy Pedal....

NEVER thought I would hear that! Live I dont think Jimmy has ever used an octave effect...except for his disturbing NOISE solos on the 77 tour...but never as a main effect in a song.

On Nobodies Fault and Trampled Underfoot sounds like Jimmy was using a Whammy Pedal....

NEVER thought I would hear that! Live I dont think Jimmy has ever used an octave effect...except for his disturbing NOISE solos on the 77 tour...but never as a main effect in a song.

Are you talking about a Wah Wah Pedal or a Whammy Bar?

Jimmy Page was one of the first celebrity guitar players who were using a Whammy Pedal. He seemed quite excited about it - I remember a Guitar World interview in ´92 or so.

Of course Tom Morello made it famous but Jimmy was far ahead of the guys from Radiohead (great band with great guitars btw). You can hear Jimmy using a Whammy on the Coverdale/Page album (1993).

Really!? Back in 93? I did not know that. Hmmmmm...and I know of course he used one of the earliest Roland Guitar Synths...but I was just surprised he used one ONSTAGE with

the mighty Zep....or call me a cretin but I kinda like to think of them as Zep 2.0....ya know the same but different too...with a modern update.

I just listened to the boot, it's definetely on there.

As a whammy pedal user myself I could spot it right away.

In addition to the songs already mentioned I believe I also heard him using it in the chorus of Whole Lotta Love to imitate the slide part on the original recording.

Jimmy has always been up on the newest guitar tech up through the 90s but he's a little out of date now. For instance, he gave up on guitar synth after Coverdale/Page but it's improved a lot since then. He really should look into the new Roland VG-99. It has a D-beam controller that would let him do some cool effects by waving his hand over it like a theremin. I don't know how he feels about modeling but he'd have an easier time running through authentic recreatings of his studio rigs via modeling, and the acoustic guitar simulations would work better than just rolling the volume down on his doubleneck for things like Stairway.

Zep 2.0...I kinda like that!

As for the Whammy would it be outrageous to suggest that Jimmy has picked up this year on Jack White's Pageisms which have made use of the Whammy? I'm thinking the Icky Thump track in particular...

Can see your point. Still, Jack White´s playing is rather exciting.

Yeah...I'm sure Jimmy caught The White Stripes on 'Later With Jools Holland' in the UK when the single came out. It was a storming performance. It certainly made me want to check out a Whammy for the first time.

And that track is, like SO Zep as are quite a few tracks in Jack's recent White Stripes and Raconteurs action. In fact, although many other elements are cited as influences, even Meg's drumming is some kind of Bonzo. And Jack occasionaly gets a Plant thing going on the vocals.

I'm sure the zeps are fans.

Can see your point. Still, Jack White´s playing is rather exciting.

Well I must admit that I thought the Whammy pedal was something NEW this year when I saw White using it. Maybe he just made the effect more obvious onstage. Also there's that confusion with the Whammy bar. Actually what the hell IS a whammy bar?

I've just caught myself on pretending I know what it is!!

lol

A whammy bar (or tremolo bar) is a mechanical device on the bridge of a guitar, you use your right hand to pull or push the strings up or down in pitch.

A Whammy pedal is a digital harmonizer pedal made by Digitech, it can bend the pitch up or down one or two octaves as well as creating harmony notes along with the original note the guitarist is playing.

The Whammy pedal can create lots of crazy noises much like the Eventide harmonizer used on Plant's voice and Page's solo on the 77 tour.

Jimmy's been using a whammy pedal since the early 90's Is all over the Coverdale/Page album, and was used throughout the P/P tours, mostly during the middle section to WWL, or Shake My Tree...whatever song Jimmy used the Theramin on during those tours. They are a pretty neat guitar gadget.

Jimmy's been using a whammy pedal since the early 90's Is all over the Coverdale/Page album, and was used throughout the P/P tours, mostly during the middle section to WWL, or Shake My Tree...whatever song Jimmy used the Theramin on during those tours. They are a pretty neat guitar gadget.

I think during Shake My Tree Jimmy was using Transperformance (IE a system which allows for automatic de-tuning and re-tuning of a guitar at the touch of a button - The Gold Top Les Paul with the row of buttons above the strings)

I was looking to see if he was using that LP during kashmir and he clearly wasn't, neither was he during Trampled Underfoot, it was deffo a Whammy Pedal.

Thanks for posting those pix of JPs pedalboard...that reminds me I remember seeing those at the time and thinking, PAGE uses a whammy pedal??? At the time I recall thinking they were kind of cheesy...but actually they are very cool. I dont have one perse' but my Boss multi fX board does the same thing, and in very small dodes its very cool. IMHO of course.

Archived